How can I connect to console session using remote desktop ..

I would like to be able to connect to the existing open session in the console instead of loging in again.

I use win2003 server at work, and XP at home. Normally I don't log off when I leave work since I like to come back in the morning and continue where I was. If while Im at home, want to add something to my work and use the remote desktop connection, I always need to log in and a new session is created, then I start with an empty desktop and have to get the applications up before I can continue working. It would be much nicer to connect to the existing session as I left at the office.

Does anyone know what I need to set up/enable?
9 answers Last reply
More about connect console session remote desktop

    Run mstsc /v:servername /console
    That will start the Remote Desktop Client and will connect to the
    console session.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:35:02 -0700, "Antonio Pulido" <Antonio
    Pulido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I would like to be able to connect to the existing open session in the console instead of loging in again.
    >
    >I use win2003 server at work, and XP at home. Normally I don't log off when I leave work since I like to come back in the morning and continue where I was. If while Im at home, want to add something to my work and use the remote desktop connection, I always need to log in and a new session is created, then I start with an empty desktop and have to get the applications up before I can continue working. It would be much nicer to connect to the existing session as I left at the office.
    >
    >Does anyone know what I need to set up/enable?

    Thanks! It works, just as i wanted.. I wonder why they don't add that option as a chechbox in the GUI as well...

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Run mstsc /v:servername /console
    > That will start the Remote Desktop Client and will connect to the
    > console session.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:35:02 -0700, "Antonio Pulido" <Antonio
    > Pulido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I would like to be able to connect to the existing open session in the console instead of loging in again.
    > >
    > >I use win2003 server at work, and XP at home. Normally I don't log off when I leave work since I like to come back in the morning and continue where I was. If while Im at home, want to add something to my work and use the remote desktop connection, I always need to log in and a new session is created, then I start with an empty desktop and have to get the applications up before I can continue working. It would be much nicer to connect to the existing session as I left at the office.
    > >
    > >Does anyone know what I need to set up/enable?

    Hi,
    I tried running RD in console mode but found it was still logging me out of
    the active session on the host machine. Is there anyway of having the Host
    stay active while remotely controlling it from the Remote.

    I'm using a notebook to remote control a pc that has Realplayer running with
    tv-out that beams the footage to my tv. With RD it's booting the host
    computer back to the logon screen which in turn stops the video from being
    displayed.

    "Antonio Pulido" wrote:

    > Thanks! It works, just as i wanted.. I wonder why they don't add that option as a chechbox in the GUI as well...
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Run mstsc /v:servername /console
    > > That will start the Remote Desktop Client and will connect to the
    > > console session.
    > >
    > > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >
    > > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > > be answered depending on time availability....
    > >
    > > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >
    > > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:35:02 -0700, "Antonio Pulido" <Antonio
    > > Pulido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I would like to be able to connect to the existing open session in the console instead of loging in again.
    > > >
    > > >I use win2003 server at work, and XP at home. Normally I don't log off when I leave work since I like to come back in the morning and continue where I was. If while Im at home, want to add something to my work and use the remote desktop connection, I always need to log in and a new session is created, then I start with an empty desktop and have to get the applications up before I can continue working. It would be much nicer to connect to the existing session as I left at the office.
    > > >
    > > >Does anyone know what I need to set up/enable?

    This only works on Windows 2003 Server or higher... XP is limited to
    one interactive session, so the host session (console) will be locked
    when you connect via Remote Desktop. This is by design.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:09:02 -0700, "raverboy"
    <raverboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I tried running RD in console mode but found it was still logging me out of
    >the active session on the host machine. Is there anyway of having the Host
    >stay active while remotely controlling it from the Remote.
    >
    >I'm using a notebook to remote control a pc that has Realplayer running with
    >tv-out that beams the footage to my tv. With RD it's booting the host
    >computer back to the logon screen which in turn stops the video from being
    >displayed.
    >
    >"Antonio Pulido" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks! It works, just as i wanted.. I wonder why they don't add that option as a chechbox in the GUI as well...
    >>
    >> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Run mstsc /v:servername /console
    >> > That will start the Remote Desktop Client and will connect to the
    >> > console session.
    >> >
    >> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> >
    >> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> > be answered depending on time availability....
    >> >
    >> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

  5. Disable the screensaver and it should keep you logged into the rdc session. By default the TS client settings are set to indefinite session length.

    Mr IT
  6. I am trying to connect to a Windows 2000/2003 server. I am connected through VPN. I try in 2 different ways. I tried with Dameware and it logs me back to an existing session. Since I lock the server.

    I tried using RDC but it creates a new session. It doesnt take me to the existing session. I tried the console mode and still no go x.x

    Any suggestions plz. The command I tried is

    mstsc -console (then type in the IP addr.)
    mstsc /console (then type in the IP addr.)
    mstsc /v:<IP addr> /console

    Please help
  7. mstsc /v:<server> /admin
  8. stevemagg said:
    mstsc /v:<server> /admin

    Thank You Stevemagg the /admin seems to work, I could never get into console with /console. You made my day THANKS :D
  9. it is very simple. for 2003 windows server at first go to

    run ---> mstsc /admin

    pls use mstsc space /admin it automatically connects to the console session.

Remote Desktop Connection Consoles Windows XP