Is Fox embedding a signal to prevent captures of new Simps..

fred

Archived from groups: alt.tv.simpsons,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Has anyone had problems capturing Sunday night Simpsons episodes on a
Fox affiliate channel through a mini DV camcorder?

A friend told me in the past he had been able to do this, but starting
this summer his capture software and camcorder would keep aborting at
random times during the episode never making it more than 10 minutes
straight. He also said no other channels he tried, including the same
Fox channel at different times of the day, had any capture problems.
Since we both have the same Fox affiliate and he knew I recently got a
mini DV camcorder for home movies, he asked me to try capturing the
Simpsons on a Sunday night to see if the same thing happened.

I was skeptical, but he was right. The same problems occurred during
my tests for him. We both live in the same area and have Canon
camcorders, but mine is a different (newer) model.

At first my friend thought his camcorder was going bad, but when I
confirmed his results, he theorized someone must be embedding a signal
to prevent camcorder captures on Sunday night Simpsons episodes. This
made me curious if this a protection scheme as he suggested or if it's
an issue specific to a particular camcorder brand or capture software.

I figured this forum would be a good place to ask if anyone else has
experienced this and knows the full story?

Andre

Fred wrote:
> Has anyone had problems capturing Sunday night Simpsons episodes on a
> Fox affiliate channel through a mini DV camcorder?
>
> A friend told me in the past he had been able to do this, but starting
> this summer his capture software and camcorder would keep aborting at
> random times during the episode never making it more than 10 minutes
> straight. He also said no other channels he tried, including the same
> Fox channel at different times of the day, had any capture problems.
> Since we both have the same Fox affiliate and he knew I recently got a
> mini DV camcorder for home movies, he asked me to try capturing the
> Simpsons on a Sunday night to see if the same thing happened.
>
> I was skeptical, but he was right. The same problems occurred during
> my tests for him. We both live in the same area and have Canon
> camcorders, but mine is a different (newer) model.
>
> At first my friend thought his camcorder was going bad, but when I
> confirmed his results, he theorized someone must be embedding a signal
> to prevent camcorder captures on Sunday night Simpsons episodes. This
> made me curious if this a protection scheme as he suggested or if it's
> an issue specific to a particular camcorder brand or capture software.
>
> I figured this forum would be a good place to ask if anyone else has
> experienced this and knows the full story?

I didn't even know that was technically possible without the appropriate
hardware in your camcorder (DRM chip). YOu might want to try DVIO.exe.
Thats what I am using, it streams the MiniDV directly to my HDD. Good luck.

--
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

peter

Archived from groups: alt.tv.simpsons,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Does it make any difference if you remove the tape from the camcorder?
Some camcorders shutdown after a few minutes if you are not playing or
recording to reduce tape wear.