Capturing using Sony camera and FireWire?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2004 6:10:06 AM

Hi,

Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments OHCI
Compliant IEEE 1394 card.

I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
capture video.
WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
thing.
The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...

Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate any
input on this.

Thank you in advance,
John
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:10:07 AM

"John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments
> OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
>
> I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
> capture video.
> WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
> not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
> thing.
> The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
>
> Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate any
> input on this.

May be time for what the people in the medical biz call a
"differential diagnosis". Is your camcorder recognized by
another XP computer? Does your computer recognize any
other Firewire camcorder?
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:59:09 AM

> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments
>> OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
>>
>> I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
>> capture video.
>> WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
>> not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
>> thing.
>> The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
>>
>> Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate
>> any input on this.
>
> May be time for what the people in the medical biz call a
> "differential diagnosis". Is your camcorder recognized by
> another XP computer? Does your computer recognize any
> other Firewire camcorder?

Hi,
Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
firewire connection.
Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
device found.
However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.

Right now I don't have access to another winxp based computer.

John
November 7, 2004 10:59:10 AM

"John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
> Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
> firewire connection.
> Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
> device found.
> However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
> that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.

Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:14:38 PM

Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???

> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
> > Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
> > firewire connection.
> > Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
> > device found.
> > However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
> > that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.
>
> Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 5:07:52 AM

None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or off
prior to connecting the camera.
John

"L. P. LePage" <lplepage@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???
>
> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
>> > Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
>> > firewire connection.
>> > Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
>> > device found.
>> > However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
>> > that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.
>>
>> Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 5:07:53 AM

> None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
> related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or off
> prior to connecting the camera.
> John
>
> "L. P. LePage" <lplepage@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???
>>
>> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>>> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
>>>
>>> Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.

There was a camera listed on Ebay not too long ago that said it was in
almost perfect condition except that the Firewire port was not functional.
I recall that he was told by Sony that it was a $150 fix. Could this be the
problem with your camera?

Steve King
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:11:54 PM

Switch the driver to the Generic Microsoft "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host
Controller" that works for some as the TI driver sometimes fails to work
properly with the Sony cams, my TRV320 had this problem.

"John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments
> OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
>
> I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
> capture video.
> WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
> not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
> thing.
> The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
>
> Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate any
> input on this.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> John

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:13:56 AM

I have heard ( but NEVER seen) of a 6-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable that
hooked the 5v pin into one of the 4pin pins thereby burning out the DV port
on the Camera.
I believe this is a VERY SMALL possibility BUT- lets get a 4-pin to 4-pin
and hook your camera to another DV camera and see if there is DV output and
Control.

"Steve King" <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
> > None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
> > related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or off
> > prior to connecting the camera.
> > John
> >
> > "L. P. LePage" <lplepage@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???
> >>
> >> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message

> There was a camera listed on Ebay not too long ago that said it was in
> almost perfect condition except that the Firewire port was not functional.
> I recall that he was told by Sony that it was a $150 fix. Could this be
the
> problem with your camera?
>
> Steve King

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 4:50:42 AM

Thanks to all for the help!

Finally went to the store and exchnaged the whole camera. This time when I
plugged it in using firewire, winxp immediatelly recognized the device and
capturing was possible.
Digital8 content is captured with pretty good quality while the Hi8 stuff
has 2 or 3 lines at the very bottom that change collors constantly and have
nothing to do with the rest of the picture - anyone knows what they are and
how to get rid of them?
Also, any way to enhance the colors - they seem a little bit washed out
compared to Hi8 content viewed straight from the camera. I'm using Adobe
Premiere Pro 1.5 .

Thanks again!

>I have heard ( but NEVER seen) of a 6-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable that
> hooked the 5v pin into one of the 4pin pins thereby burning out the DV
> port
> on the Camera.
> I believe this is a VERY SMALL possibility BUT- lets get a 4-pin to 4-pin
> and hook your camera to another DV camera and see if there is DV output
> and
> Control.
>
> "Steve King" <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
>> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
>> > None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
>> > related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or
>> > off
>> > prior to connecting the camera.
>> > John
>> >
>> > "L. P. LePage" <lplepage@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> There was a camera listed on Ebay not too long ago that said it was in
>> almost perfect condition except that the Firewire port was not
>> functional.
>> I recall that he was told by Sony that it was a $150 fix. Could this be
> the
>> problem with your camera?
>>
>> Steve King

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 6:46:42 PM

John P. wrote:

> Digital8 content is captured with pretty good quality while the Hi8
> stuff has 2 or 3 lines at the very bottom that change collors
> constantly and have nothing to do with the rest of the picture -
> anyone knows what they are and how to get rid of them?

Head switching noise. Unavoidable for analogue consumer video systems.
Google for the term for more information.

Note, however, that the garbage resides in the overscan area, so it
is not normally visible on a tv - and will not be visible, if you
make a dvd out of the captured material and later view it on a tv.
You only see it on the computer monitor, as computer video capture
systems show you the picture in "underscanned" fashion - the way
it is normally not meant to be viewed.

> Also, any way to enhance the colors - they seem a little bit washed
> out compared to Hi8 content viewed straight from the camera. I'm
> using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 .

That might be, but a computer monitor should not be used for assessing
the colours and quality of video signal. Buy a 15 kHz video monitor,
or, at least, a portable tv set besides your computer monitor, and use
it for monitoring the colours, overscanning etc. while editing. Premiere
supports realtime previews (and scrubbing) from the timeline to external
monitor via the camcorder - in other words, you connect your camcorder
to the computer using a Firewire cable, and then the portable tv (or
a "real" video monitor) to your camcorder's analog output terminals,
and constantly monitor the picture quality using the other screen -
not the computer screen - while editing.

--
znark
Anonymous

How do I get the generic driver? Anyone know?

Gina

Pete D wrote:
> Switch the driver to the Generic Microsoft "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host
> Controller" that works for some as the TI driver sometimes fails to
work
> properly with the Sony cams, my TRV320 had this problem.
>
> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas
Instruments
> > OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
> >
> > I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order
> > capture video.
> > WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time;
it will
> > not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable
and same
> > thing.
> > The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
> >
> > Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really
appreciate any
> > input on this.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > John

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:26:00 PM

You should be able to find it on Microsoft's site just by searching for it.
There's also particular ways to get the TI driver out of your way. (I had
the same problem years ago but I've forgotten how it got fixed).

the OHCI is the trick, search for that.
Tom P.

!