Capturing using Sony camera and FireWire?

Hi,

Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments OHCI
Compliant IEEE 1394 card.

I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
capture video.
WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
thing.
The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...

Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate any
input on this.

Thank you in advance,
John
12 answers Last reply
More about capturing sony camera firewire

    "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments
    > OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
    >
    > I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
    > capture video.
    > WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
    > not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
    > thing.
    > The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
    >
    > Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate any
    > input on this.

    May be time for what the people in the medical biz call a
    "differential diagnosis". Is your camcorder recognized by
    another XP computer? Does your computer recognize any
    other Firewire camcorder?

    > "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments
    >> OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
    >> capture video.
    >> WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
    >> not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
    >> thing.
    >> The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
    >>
    >> Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate
    >> any input on this.
    >
    > May be time for what the people in the medical biz call a
    > "differential diagnosis". Is your camcorder recognized by
    > another XP computer? Does your computer recognize any
    > other Firewire camcorder?

    Hi,
    Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
    firewire connection.
    Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
    device found.
    However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
    that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.

    Right now I don't have access to another winxp based computer.

    John

    "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
    > Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
    > firewire connection.
    > Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
    > device found.
    > However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
    > that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.

    Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.

    Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???

    > "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
    > > Yes, the computer has no problem accessing an external hdd using the
    > > firewire connection.
    > > Every program I've tried (WMM2, WinDV or Premiere) reports no capturing
    > > device found.
    > > However, I've succesfully connected the camera using the USB cable, but
    > > that's not what I'm looking for in capturing video.
    >
    > Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.

    None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
    related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or off
    prior to connecting the camera.
    John

    > None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
    > related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or off
    > prior to connecting the camera.
    > John
    >
    > "L. P. LePage" <lplepage@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???
    >>
    >> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
    >>> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> Alas, none of those test the parts that appear to be broken.

    There was a camera listed on Ebay not too long ago that said it was in
    almost perfect condition except that the Firewire port was not functional.
    I recall that he was told by Sony that it was a $150 fix. Could this be the
    problem with your camera?

    Steve King

    Switch the driver to the Generic Microsoft "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host
    Controller" that works for some as the TI driver sometimes fails to work
    properly with the Sony cams, my TRV320 had this problem.

    "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas Instruments
    > OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
    >
    > I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order to
    > capture video.
    > WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time; it will
    > not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable and same
    > thing.
    > The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
    >
    > Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really appreciate any
    > input on this.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > John

    I have heard ( but NEVER seen) of a 6-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable that
    hooked the 5v pin into one of the 4pin pins thereby burning out the DV port
    on the Camera.
    I believe this is a VERY SMALL possibility BUT- lets get a 4-pin to 4-pin
    and hook your camera to another DV camera and see if there is DV output and
    Control.

    "Steve King" <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
    > "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
    > > None that I've found. I've checked both instruction manuals (computer
    > > related & camera) and it doesn't even mention turning anything on or off
    > > prior to connecting the camera.
    > > John
    > >
    > > "L. P. LePage" <lplepage@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Does the Camera have a menu that "enables" DV in/out ???
    > >>
    > >> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message

    > There was a camera listed on Ebay not too long ago that said it was in
    > almost perfect condition except that the Firewire port was not functional.
    > I recall that he was told by Sony that it was a $150 fix. Could this be
    the
    > problem with your camera?
    >
    > Steve King

    Thanks to all for the help!

    Finally went to the store and exchnaged the whole camera. This time when I
    plugged it in using firewire, winxp immediatelly recognized the device and
    capturing was possible.
    Digital8 content is captured with pretty good quality while the Hi8 stuff
    has 2 or 3 lines at the very bottom that change collors constantly and have
    nothing to do with the rest of the picture - anyone knows what they are and
    how to get rid of them?
    Also, any way to enhance the colors - they seem a little bit washed out
    compared to Hi8 content viewed straight from the camera. I'm using Adobe
    Premiere Pro 1.5 .

    Thanks again!

    John P. wrote:

    > Digital8 content is captured with pretty good quality while the Hi8
    > stuff has 2 or 3 lines at the very bottom that change collors
    > constantly and have nothing to do with the rest of the picture -
    > anyone knows what they are and how to get rid of them?

    Head switching noise. Unavoidable for analogue consumer video systems.
    Google for the term for more information.

    Note, however, that the garbage resides in the overscan area, so it
    is not normally visible on a tv - and will not be visible, if you
    make a dvd out of the captured material and later view it on a tv.
    You only see it on the computer monitor, as computer video capture
    systems show you the picture in "underscanned" fashion - the way
    it is normally not meant to be viewed.

    > Also, any way to enhance the colors - they seem a little bit washed
    > out compared to Hi8 content viewed straight from the camera. I'm
    > using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 .

    That might be, but a computer monitor should not be used for assessing
    the colours and quality of video signal. Buy a 15 kHz video monitor,
    or, at least, a portable tv set besides your computer monitor, and use
    it for monitoring the colours, overscanning etc. while editing. Premiere
    supports realtime previews (and scrubbing) from the timeline to external
    monitor via the camcorder - in other words, you connect your camcorder
    to the computer using a Firewire cable, and then the portable tv (or
    a "real" video monitor) to your camcorder's analog output terminals,
    and constantly monitor the picture quality using the other screen -
    not the computer screen - while editing.

    --
    znark

    How do I get the generic driver? Anyone know?

    Gina

    Pete D wrote:
    > Switch the driver to the Generic Microsoft "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host
    > Controller" that works for some as the TI driver sometimes fails to
    work
    > properly with the Sony cams, my TRV320 had this problem.
    >
    > "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas
    Instruments
    > > OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order
    > > capture video.
    > > WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time;
    it will
    > > not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable
    and same
    > > thing.
    > > The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
    > >
    > > Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really
    appreciate any
    > > input on this.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance,
    > > John

    You should be able to find it on Microsoft's site just by searching for it.
    There's also particular ways to get the TI driver out of your way. (I had
    the same problem years ago but I've forgotten how it got fixed).

    the OHCI is the trick, search for that.
    Tom P.

    "Gina" <wieczors@charter.net> wrote in message
    > How do I get the generic driver? Anyone know?
    >
    > Gina
    >

    > Pete D wrote:
    >> Switch the driver to the Generic Microsoft "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host
    >> Controller" that works for some as the TI driver sometimes fails to
    > work
    >> properly with the Sony cams, my TRV320 had this problem.
    >>
    >> "John P." <noemail@all.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Running WinXP SP2 on a Compaq Presario desktop with a Texas
    > Instruments
    >> > OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 card.
    >> >
    >> > I'm trying to connect using a firewire cable a Sony TRV460 in order
    >> > capture video.
    >> > WinXP usually detects everyting connecting to it exept this time;
    > it will
    >> > not see the camera. I've allready bought a second firewire cable
    > and same
    >> > thing.
    >> > The camera is powered from the charger, set on play/edit...
    >> >
    >> > Do I have to manually install some Sony drivers? I'd really
    > appreciate any
    >> > input on this.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance,
    >> > John

Tuner Cards Sony Firewire Cameras Graphics