Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Pioneer DVR-107 Won't Burn DVD-R Anymore

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Burner
  • DVD Writers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 9:10:52 AM

Hopefully someone can help with this, but at least I wanted to post for
the record.

I built a computer with an OEM Pioneer DVR-107 burner, used a version
Nero I had, and all was well, burning DVD-R disks without a problem.
After changing a few things, now it won't burn the same kind of DVD-R,
and insists I use DVD+R disks.

Here is what I changed, and I am sorry to say that I can't be sure
exactly when this problem cropped up. First I upgraded the firmware to
Win 1.18. I don't believe this caused a problem because I typically
would test an upgrade like this, but I can't be absolutely positive.

Then after a lot of screwing around with the system, I noticed the
burner wasn't working, although I can't remember the exact error
messages I was getting. I did an XP rollback to try and fix this, and
then my computer was completely f***ed. Ended up having to reformat
and rebuild the system. At this point I didn't have the original Nero
disk anymore, so I used another version. Now the burner insists on
DVD+R. I tried upgrading the firmware again to Win 1.20, but still
have the same problem. That is where it now stands.

Looking back at what I wrote, I suspect the original firmware upgrade
to 1.18 was the problem. Potentially I never tested it because I have
a DVR-104 on my other box and might have just used that for a couple of
weeks.

Anyway, if folks have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I guess
I could just buy DVD+R disks if all else fails.

More about : pioneer dvr 107 burn dvd anymore

November 7, 2004 7:13:37 PM

In article <1099836652.023544.297550
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
sorry_no_email@yahoo.com says...
> Hopefully someone can help with this, but at least I wanted to post for
> the record.
>
> I built a computer with an OEM Pioneer DVR-107 burner, used a version
> Nero I had, and all was well, burning DVD-R disks without a problem.
> After changing a few things, now it won't burn the same kind of DVD-R,
> and insists I use DVD+R disks.
>
> Here is what I changed, and I am sorry to say that I can't be sure
> exactly when this problem cropped up. First I upgraded the firmware to
> Win 1.18. I don't believe this caused a problem because I typically
> would test an upgrade like this, but I can't be absolutely positive.
>
> Then after a lot of screwing around with the system, I noticed the
> burner wasn't working, although I can't remember the exact error
> messages I was getting. I did an XP rollback to try and fix this, and
> then my computer was completely f***ed. Ended up having to reformat
> and rebuild the system. At this point I didn't have the original Nero
> disk anymore, so I used another version. Now the burner insists on
> DVD+R. I tried upgrading the firmware again to Win 1.20, but still
> have the same problem. That is where it now stands.
>
> Looking back at what I wrote, I suspect the original firmware upgrade
> to 1.18 was the problem. Potentially I never tested it because I have
> a DVR-104 on my other box and might have just used that for a couple of
> weeks.
>
> Anyway, if folks have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I guess
> I could just buy DVD+R disks if all else fails.

You most likely installed the wrong firmware.

--
www.fiveminutesoffame.com
Get your five minutes of FAME

Thanks. Seems like a reasonable cause for my problem. Have to
remember not to change firmware if there isn't a problem.

I have a support ticket in to Pioneer, and I'll report back what they
say. Here is the download page from Pioneer where I got the firmware:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4...

I definitely installed the Win 1.20 firmware for the DVR-107D, after
the win 1.18 firmware upgrade wasn't working.

Their IDE utility identifies my drive as a DVR-107D, but that probably
is the result of the firmware I installed. My sales receipt clearly
says DVR-107, but I will crack open the case to verify that on the
drive label.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:32:09 PM

After some back and forth with Pioneer tech support, our best guess is
that the 1.18 and 1.20 firmware upgrade dropped support for the DVD-R
blanks I was using. I went out and bought some TDK DVD+R 8x disks from
Staples, but don't need to burn anything right now. They worked in the
Nero speed test, so I expect they'll be fine.

The firmware upgrade ended up being a pain in the butt. Last time I
upgrade firmware just for the hell of it, especially since it can't be
rolled back.