VPN/PPTP

July 21, 2004 3:59:16 PM

I have a windows XP pro computer. I am trying to set it
up as a vpn server so I can use it remotely using the
VPN/PPTP software that is resident in windows xp. The
setup is fairly easy. The client I am using is a dell
laptop that has windows 2000 pro. I have set that up
also using the resident VPN/PPTP software. That is also
fairly easy and straight forward. The router I am using
is a linksys BEFSR41. Everything I have has the latest
software updates. I have setup the linksys router to
forward pptp packets on port 1723. When I start the
client it hangs while waiting for the server to verify
the username and password. When I do a netstat -a in the
command window on the server it says the the pptp port is
open. When I do the same thing on the client it also
says that also. Sometimes the client comes back with an
error and sometime it doesn't. It just times out and
starts counting down and starts over again.

I have also tried this locally. Taking the router out of
the equation and it does exactly the same thing. I have
been working on this for over a week and haven't been
able to fix it. On the microsoft website I have found
things to do to the registry that looked like it might
fixt it but it didn't. I am about to give up unless
someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

More about : vpn pptp

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:58:32 AM

On the client end, right click on the connection and click on the
Networking tab. Instead of leaving "Automatic" in the VPN type -
force it to be PPTP.

See if this helps.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:59:16 -0700, "Bruce Thompson"

>I have a windows XP pro computer. I am trying to set it
>up as a vpn server so I can use it remotely using the
>VPN/PPTP software that is resident in windows xp. The
>setup is fairly easy. The client I am using is a dell
>laptop that has windows 2000 pro. I have set that up
>also using the resident VPN/PPTP software. That is also
>fairly easy and straight forward. The router I am using
>is a linksys BEFSR41. Everything I have has the latest
>software updates. I have setup the linksys router to
>forward pptp packets on port 1723. When I start the
>client it hangs while waiting for the server to verify
>the username and password. When I do a netstat -a in the
>command window on the server it says the the pptp port is
>open. When I do the same thing on the client it also
>says that also. Sometimes the client comes back with an
>error and sometime it doesn't. It just times out and
>starts counting down and starts over again.
>
>I have also tried this locally. Taking the router out of
>the equation and it does exactly the same thing. I have
>been working on this for over a week and haven't been
>able to fix it. On the microsoft website I have found
>things to do to the registry that looked like it might
>fixt it but it didn't. I am about to give up unless
>someone here can help me.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Bruce
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:57:00 AM

Hi Jeffrey,

I have tried that. It is forced to PPTP and it still
doesn't work. I have tried everything I can think of. I
have even re-installed the tcp/ip software on the server
and client and that did not help. I have been reading
everything I can find on the web and at the microsoft
site for over a week and can't find anything to solve
this problem. The interesting thing I have found in my
research is that people either have no problem setting up
a VPN connection using microsoft windows or they have the
same problem I am having. The other interesting thing is
no one seems to know how to fix it. I am hoping that
someone can still help me. I have run out of ideas.

Thanks for your help,
Bruce

benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone -
>
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:59:16 -0700, "Bruce Thompson"
>
>>I have a windows XP pro computer. I am trying to set
it
>>up as a vpn server so I can use it remotely using the
>>VPN/PPTP software that is resident in windows xp. The
>>setup is fairly easy. The client I am using is a dell
>>laptop that has windows 2000 pro. I have set that up
>>also using the resident VPN/PPTP software. That is
also
>>fairly easy and straight forward. The router I am
using
>>is a linksys BEFSR41. Everything I have has the latest
>>software updates. I have setup the linksys router to
>>forward pptp packets on port 1723. When I start the
>>client it hangs while waiting for the server to verify
>>the username and password. When I do a netstat -a in
the
>>command window on the server it says the the pptp port
is
>>open. When I do the same thing on the client it also
>>says that also. Sometimes the client comes back with
an
>>error and sometime it doesn't. It just times out and
>>starts counting down and starts over again.
>>
>>I have also tried this locally. Taking the router out
of
>>the equation and it does exactly the same thing. I
have
>>been working on this for over a week and haven't been
>>able to fix it. On the microsoft website I have found
>>things to do to the registry that looked like it might
>>fixt it but it didn't. I am about to give up unless
>>someone here can help me.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Bruce
>
>.

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 11:44:42 PM

When you set up the VPN, did you follow all of the steps as described
at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.....

Also, did you by chance set up and TCP filters (if you don't know what
I am talking about here then you probably didn't set any of these up)?
Some of the Win2K documents on VPN's tell people that they should set
up these filters...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:57:00 -0700,

>Hi Jeffrey,
>
>I have tried that. It is forced to PPTP and it still
>doesn't work. I have tried everything I can think of. I
>have even re-installed the tcp/ip software on the server
>and client and that did not help. I have been reading
>everything I can find on the web and at the microsoft
>site for over a week and can't find anything to solve
>this problem. The interesting thing I have found in my
>research is that people either have no problem setting up
>a VPN connection using microsoft windows or they have the
>same problem I am having. The other interesting thing is
>no one seems to know how to fix it. I am hoping that
>someone can still help me. I have run out of ideas.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Bruce

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:18:01 AM

I did follow the instructions from onecomputerguy.com. I
didn't do anything with the TCP filters. They are what
they defaulted to. I am at a total loss as to why this
will not work. It is so easy and straight forward to set
up. It just hangs while it has verified
username/password.

Bruce

..

>Also, did you by chance set up and TCP filters (if you
don't know what
>I am talking about here then you probably didn't set any
of these up)?
>Some of the Win2K documents on VPN's tell people that
they should set
>up these filters...
>
>Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
>Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the
benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone -
>
>On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:57:00 -0700,
>
>>Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>>I have tried that. It is forced to PPTP and it still
>>doesn't work. I have tried everything I can think of.
>>have even re-installed the tcp/ip software on the
server
>>and client and that did not help. I have been reading
>>everything I can find on the web and at the microsoft
>>site for over a week and can't find anything to solve
>>this problem. The interesting thing I have found in my
>>research is that people either have no problem setting
up
>>a VPN connection using microsoft windows or they have
the
>>same problem I am having. The other interesting thing
is
>>no one seems to know how to fix it. I am hoping that
>>someone can still help me. I have run out of ideas.
>>
>>Thanks for your help,
>>Bruce

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:13:39 AM

Usually that would mean that something is blocking PPTP Passthrough...

Since you are directly connected on the server end, have you tried to
do the same on the client? Some routers (in the past) did not allow
PPTP connections to remote systems...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:18:01 -0700,

!