Trouble Connecting to Terminal Server using XP

I can connect to my W2k Small Business Server from XP but not my W2k Terminal Server I keep geting an error message even if I'm attached to the LAN. I am not a member of the local domain. Everyone in the Domain can connect with no problem. Any Suggestions?

Please post back with the wording of the error message you are
getting.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:24:03 -0700, "Kobolos"
<Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can connect to my W2k Small Business Server from XP but not my W2k Terminal Server I keep geting an error message even if I'm attached to the LAN. I am not a member of the local domain. Everyone in the Domain can connect with no problem. Any Suggestions?

My Error Message is:

The Client Could not establish a connection to the remote computer

The most likely causes for this error are:
1. Remote Connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
2. The maximum number of connections was exceeeded at the remote computer.
3. A network error occured while establishing the connection.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Please post back with the wording of the error message you are
> getting.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:24:03 -0700, "Kobolos"
> <Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can connect to my W2k Small Business Server from XP but not my W2k Terminal Server I keep geting an error message even if I'm attached to the LAN. I am not a member of the local domain. Everyone in the Domain can connect with no problem. Any Suggestions?

Are you able to access any shares/printers attached to the W2K Term
Servers? This will help diagnose any name resolution problems that
may be happening with that machine.

Also, verify that you are using the proper netmask for your Local
Network Adapter.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:09:04 -0700, "Kobolos"
<Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My Error Message is:
>
>The Client Could not establish a connection to the remote computer
>
>The most likely causes for this error are:
>1. Remote Connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
>2. The maximum number of connections was exceeeded at the remote computer.
>3. A network error occured while establishing the connection.
>

>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Please post back with the wording of the error message you are
>> getting.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:24:03 -0700, "Kobolos"
>> <Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I can connect to my W2k Small Business Server from XP but not my W2k Terminal Server I keep geting an error message even if I'm attached to the LAN. I am not a member of the local domain. Everyone in the Domain can connect with no problem. Any Suggestions?

I can browse Teminal Servers directory structure and shared printers. I also have confirmed the correct IP and subnet mask (DHCP).

Could there be a TS Client licensing issue since I'm not a part of the ADS domain? If I change the permissions to allow Anonymous Users for the RDP TCP Connector I get a different error message.

"The Connection was ended because of a network error please try connecting to the remote computer again.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Are you able to access any shares/printers attached to the W2K Term
> Servers? This will help diagnose any name resolution problems that
> may be happening with that machine.
>
> Also, verify that you are using the proper netmask for your Local
> Network Adapter.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:09:04 -0700, "Kobolos"
> <Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > My Error Message is:
> >
> >The Client Could not establish a connection to the remote computer
> >
> >The most likely causes for this error are:
> >1. Remote Connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> >2. The maximum number of connections was exceeeded at the remote computer.
> >3. A network error occured while establishing the connection.
> >

> >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Please post back with the wording of the error message you are
> >> getting.
> >>
> >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >>
> >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> >> be answered depending on time availability....
> >>
> >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

It shouldn't be - it should automatically pull a license from your
license server (or if it is W2K Term Server in App Mode and you are
running XP Pro - you would be comped a license).

Weird...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:19:01 -0700, "Kobolos"
<Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can browse Teminal Servers directory structure and shared printers. I also have confirmed the correct IP and subnet mask (DHCP).
>
>Could there be a TS Client licensing issue since I'm not a part of the ADS domain? If I change the permissions to allow Anonymous Users for the RDP TCP Connector I get a different error message.
>
>"The Connection was ended because of a network error please try connecting to the remote computer again.
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Are you able to access any shares/printers attached to the W2K Term
>> Servers? This will help diagnose any name resolution problems that
>> may be happening with that machine.
>>
>> Also, verify that you are using the proper netmask for your Local
>> Network Adapter.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>

>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:09:04 -0700, "Kobolos"
>> <Kobolos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > My Error Message is:
>> >
>> >The Client Could not establish a connection to the remote computer
>> >
>> >The most likely causes for this error are:
>> >1. Remote Connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
>> >2. The maximum number of connections was exceeeded at the remote computer.
>> >3. A network error occured while establishing the connection.

Thanks Jeff,
a poweroutage forced another reboot with and now I can connect fine. Very strange.

thanks for your help