Need some basic info

I'm a pro audio editor (working on Sonar 4) and recently began using Vegas
5. Obviously alot of new info to take in. The programs work similarly so I'm
probably a little ahead of the learning curve. At this point I could use
some basic info to help me with potential equipment purchases.

Do I need a 3 chip camera that records 16:9 to make a movie for theatrical
release? Could my Canon Optura 20 create a convincing looking movie on the
big screen? How about a small screen?

What do I need to spend for a basic lighting kit that could get me through a
feature shoot?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Neil R

"Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm a pro audio editor (working on Sonar 4) and recently began using Vegas
> 5. Obviously alot of new info to take in. The programs work similarly so
I'm
> probably a little ahead of the learning curve. At this point I could use
> some basic info to help me with potential equipment purchases.
>
> Do I need a 3 chip camera that records 16:9 to make a movie for theatrical
> release? Could my Canon Optura 20 create a convincing looking movie on the
> big screen? How about a small screen?
>
> What do I need to spend for a basic lighting kit that could get me through
> feature shoot?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Neil R

Neil, your question hides much complexity. The term "feature" does not
describe a project in a way that leads to an answer.
For example, THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT was shot with a Hi-8 camera. On the
other hand, most distributors prefer projects shot on film.

You can't shoot THE GANGS OF NEW YORK with a Canon Optura.
You could shoot a feature in your living room. But if you don't have a
script of genius, it won't get distributed.
In general, unless there is a magical gimmick, or a script with the
cleverness of David Mamet, a quality of photography is required that cannot
be approached by your camera, or the lighting you could afford.
So the paradoxical answers are: "Yes, yes, yes" and "No no no."

And if you have a script which many people, not your friends, say is
remarkable -- more power to you.

terry

"Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm a pro audio editor (working on Sonar 4) and recently began using Vegas
> 5. Obviously alot of new info to take in. The programs work similarly so
I'm
> probably a little ahead of the learning curve. At this point I could use
> some basic info to help me with potential equipment purchases.
>
> Do I need a 3 chip camera that records 16:9 to make a movie for theatrical
> release? Could my Canon Optura 20 create a convincing looking movie on the
> big screen? How about a small screen?
>
> What do I need to spend for a basic lighting kit that could get me through
> feature shoot?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Neil R

Well, have never made a movie for 'theatrical' release myself, though I've
helped and observed others who have. There are mountains of literature in
libraries and online, feeding the fool and his camera is an industry in
itself. I personally enjoyed "All I needed to know about filmmaking I
learned from the Toxic Avenger" not really much help but its entertaining as
hell.

If this is really something your intent on doing I'll just say the modest
route costs about as much as a new car, two cars if you hope to promote it
at all. Kinda makes the cost of a light kit moot. Its usually a once in
lifetime adventure. Remember a 'theatrical' release still needs a film
print, perhaps add in a third car just for that. There are small 'arts'
theatres that have video projectors, usually for documentries.

Rule of thumb is cut your money into thirds, the first use to make it, the
second to make and deliver copies of it, the third just to sell it. Most
run out of money during part one and seem almost suprised that there isn't a
magical fairy hiding under their cot waiting to do the next two steps on
their behalf. Infact these two steps are each an art unto themselves, every
bit as complex and mysterious as the making of a great movie. (Ever notice
most films seem to do these steps in reverse order? First they sell it,
then figure out how to package it, and then make something that fits the
sales plan)

Best advice for making something at home with the camcorder - go to walmart
get those work lights, buy some gloves and tin foil to use as crude barn
doors. Get some large sheets of coloured construction paper for diffusion.
(might want to buy one of those small fire extinguishers too) Ask the
cosmetics girl about face powder. Get a few friends, write a shot that can
be filmed in a couple of hours or less. Reshoot it again and again and
again every weekend for as long you have to until it looks right. ***Take
notes with a measuring tape and a light meter.*** Don't stop until you get
this one shot perfect and you can recreate it. Only after this kind of
exercise will you know what you have to go through and setup to get the kind
of images your after.