Remote Desktop & Linksys

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Hello All,

I am trying to connect to my work PC running XP professional from home
which runs the same OS. Remote Desktop is enabled and it works fine
when i try to connect from other PCs at work, which are ofcourse on
the same subnet.

When i try connecting from my home PC, which is behind a Linksys
router (WRT54G), i cannot make the connection. I tried disabling the
XP and zonealarm firewalls running on my office pc, nothing helped.

I have the firewall and DHCP enabled on the router at home. My IP
address is in the 192.168.X.X range. I tried ping and traceroute, that
didn't work either. Other than that i don't have a problem getting to
any other websites, do secure shell connections etc.

Will port forwarding help in this case? I thought it makes sense when
i am trying to connect to a PC behind the router. But mine is the
other way around.

I would really appreciate any help / pointers in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

- Raj

If the office PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then TCP Port 3389 would need to be open in order
for you to access the desktop via RD. How is the office PC connected to the public internet?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Raj" <rajmen73@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6fd8c1ca.0407220558.4d494692@posting.google.com...
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to connect to my work PC running XP professional from home
> which runs the same OS. Remote Desktop is enabled and it works fine
> when i try to connect from other PCs at work, which are ofcourse on
> the same subnet.
>
> When i try connecting from my home PC, which is behind a Linksys
> router (WRT54G), i cannot make the connection. I tried disabling the
> XP and zonealarm firewalls running on my office pc, nothing helped.
>
> I have the firewall and DHCP enabled on the router at home. My IP
> address is in the 192.168.X.X range. I tried ping and traceroute, that
> didn't work either. Other than that i don't have a problem getting to
> any other websites, do secure shell connections etc.
>
> Will port forwarding help in this case? I thought it makes sense when
> i am trying to connect to a PC behind the router. But mine is the
> other way around.
>
> I would really appreciate any help / pointers in this matter.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Raj

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Found a fix for this problem. It was my broadband phone adapter. I had
it connected between the cable modem and the router. Moved the
connections so that the router connects directly to the cable modem
and the broadband phone adapter connects to the router. It works now !

Thanks Al.

- Raj

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<#TnzmX$bEHA.2388@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> If the office PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then TCP Port 3389 would need to be open in order
> for you to access the desktop via RD. How is the office PC connected to the public internet?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Raj" <rajmen73@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6fd8c1ca.0407220558.4d494692@posting.google.com...
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am trying to connect to my work PC running XP professional from home
> > which runs the same OS. Remote Desktop is enabled and it works fine
> > when i try to connect from other PCs at work, which are ofcourse on
> > the same subnet.
> >
> > When i try connecting from my home PC, which is behind a Linksys
> > router (WRT54G), i cannot make the connection. I tried disabling the
> > XP and zonealarm firewalls running on my office pc, nothing helped.
> >
> > I have the firewall and DHCP enabled on the router at home. My IP
> > address is in the 192.168.X.X range. I tried ping and traceroute, that
> > didn't work either. Other than that i don't have a problem getting to
> > any other websites, do secure shell connections etc.
> >
> > Will port forwarding help in this case? I thought it makes sense when
> > i am trying to connect to a PC behind the router. But mine is the
> > other way around.
> >
> > I would really appreciate any help / pointers in this matter.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > - Raj

Thanks for the feedback. That may help others in the future...