Digital audio output for PC/laptop?

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I am looking for a peripheral which would merely provide a digital
audio output (coaxial and/or optical), so I could use my computer as a
DVD player, using an external receiver/amplifier with a digital input.

I purchased Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, which is an external "sound
card" box hooked up via USB. It provides both coax and optical output,
and I can utilize them in PowerDVD by setting "SPDIF thru" in Audio
settings.

This is exactly what I want: allows me to send DVD soundtrack in its
virgin form (including DD 5.1 and DTS) directly to my digital
receiver. Works fine. The only problem is that this is an overkill - I
have no use for the rest of this Sound Blaster and all of the nice
features it offers. $100 seems like a lot for a simple digital output
add-on.

Are there any simpler alternatives?

TIA!
6 answers Last reply
More about digital audio output laptop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Maybe simpler but $100 is about as cheap a solution as you are bound to
    find.
    "Sound Junkie" < @ . > wrote in message
    > I am looking for a peripheral which would merely provide a digital
    > audio output (coaxial and/or optical), so I could use my computer as a
    > DVD player, using an external receiver/amplifier with a digital input.
    >
    > I purchased Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, which is an external "sound
    > card" box hooked up via USB. It provides both coax and optical output,
    > and I can utilize them in PowerDVD by setting "SPDIF thru" in Audio
    > settings.
    >
    > This is exactly what I want: allows me to send DVD soundtrack in its
    > virgin form (including DD 5.1 and DTS) directly to my digital
    > receiver. Works fine. The only problem is that this is an overkill - I
    > have no use for the rest of this Sound Blaster and all of the nice
    > features it offers. $100 seems like a lot for a simple digital output
    > add-on.
    >
    > Are there any simpler alternatives?
    >
    > TIA!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Not so. I bought one of these for $25, shipping free:
    http://store.mrtechus.com/so51usb.html

    "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message
    > Maybe simpler but $100 is about as cheap a solution as you are bound to
    > find.
    > "Sound Junkie" < @ . > wrote in message
    > > I am looking for a peripheral which would merely provide a digital
    > > audio output (coaxial and/or optical), so I could use my computer as a
    > > DVD player, using an external receiver/amplifier with a digital input.
    > >
    > > I purchased Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, which is an external "sound
    > > card" box hooked up via USB. It provides both coax and optical output,
    > > and I can utilize them in PowerDVD by setting "SPDIF thru" in Audio
    > > settings.
    > >
    > > This is exactly what I want: allows me to send DVD soundtrack in its
    > > virgin form (including DD 5.1 and DTS) directly to my digital
    > > receiver. Works fine. The only problem is that this is an overkill - I
    > > have no use for the rest of this Sound Blaster and all of the nice
    > > features it offers. $100 seems like a lot for a simple digital output
    > > add-on.
    > >
    > > Are there any simpler alternatives?
    > >
    > > TIA!

  3. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Not so. I bought one of these for $25, shipping free:
    > http://store.mrtechus.com/so51usb.html

    Interesting little device! AND it does 38Khz! Something I have been looking
    for forever! (see typo in text at link)

    :)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:45:05 -0500, "Robert Morein"
    <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Not so. I bought one of these for $25, shipping free:
    >http://store.mrtechus.com/so51usb.html
    >
    >"Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message
    >> Maybe simpler but $100 is about as cheap a solution as you are bound to
    >> find.
    >> "Sound Junkie" < @ . > wrote in message
    >> > I am looking for a peripheral which would merely provide a digital
    >> > audio output (coaxial and/or optical), so I could use my computer as a
    >> > DVD player, using an external receiver/amplifier with a digital input.
    >> >
    >> > I purchased Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, which is an external "sound
    >> > card" box hooked up via USB. It provides both coax and optical output,
    >> > and I can utilize them in PowerDVD by setting "SPDIF thru" in Audio
    >> > settings.
    >> >
    >> > This is exactly what I want: allows me to send DVD soundtrack in its
    >> > virgin form (including DD 5.1 and DTS) directly to my digital
    >> > receiver. Works fine. The only problem is that this is an overkill - I
    >> > have no use for the rest of this Sound Blaster and all of the nice
    >> > features it offers. $100 seems like a lot for a simple digital output
    >> > add-on.
    >> >
    >> > Are there any simpler alternatives?
    >> >
    >> > TIA!

    Looks cool, however these seem to only use USB 1.1, not USB 2.0
    (2-channel stereo PCM only). I got the impression that for
    high-bandwidth digital audio (DD 5.1 or DTS) USB 1.1 is too slow. Can
    you play DTS tracks using this device?

    Thanks!
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Sound Junkie wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:45:05 -0500, "Robert Morein"
    > <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Not so. I bought one of these for $25, shipping free:
    > >http://store.mrtechus.com/so51usb.html
    > >

    > Looks cool, however these seem to only use USB 1.1, not USB 2.0
    > (2-channel stereo PCM only). I got the impression that for
    > high-bandwidth digital audio (DD 5.1 or DTS) USB 1.1 is too slow. Can
    > you play DTS tracks using this device?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Dolby digital and DTS are both compressed formats which cram all 5.1
    channels into a standard spdif bitstream which normally carries only 2
    channels of uncompressed data. USB1.1 has plenty of bandwidth for this.

    Cheers.

    James.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Not so. I bought one of these for $25, shipping free:
    > http://store.mrtechus.com/so51usb.html
    >
    > "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message
    > > Maybe simpler but $100 is about as cheap a solution as you are bound to
    > > find.
    > > "Sound Junkie" < @ . > wrote in message
    > > > I am looking for a peripheral which would merely provide a digital
    > > > audio output (coaxial and/or optical), so I could use my computer as a
    > > > DVD player, using an external receiver/amplifier with a digital input.
    > > >
    > > > I purchased Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, which is an external "sound
    > > > card" box hooked up via USB. It provides both coax and optical output,
    > > > and I can utilize them in PowerDVD by setting "SPDIF thru" in Audio
    > > > settings.
    > > >
    > > > This is exactly what I want: allows me to send DVD soundtrack in its
    > > > virgin form (including DD 5.1 and DTS) directly to my digital
    > > > receiver. Works fine. The only problem is that this is an overkill - I
    > > > have no use for the rest of this Sound Blaster and all of the nice
    > > > features it offers. $100 seems like a lot for a simple digital output
    > > > add-on.
    > > >
    > > > Are there any simpler alternatives?
    > > >
    > > > TIA!
    Yeah, walmart sells an external soundblaster card for around 35 bucks. I
    love mine

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics