dial up via VPN

I have an interesting dilemma. I have new IBM t31 laptops with windows xp
pro SP1 installed with all the latest updates. To connect to our network
remotely we have a dial up VPN set up on a windows NT 4.0 server. The
laptops have no problem connecting to our network from home when they use
the VPn connection. They cannot however dial directly into our network.
the dial-up works fine on our windows 2000 and nNT 4.0 workstations. Any
help would be appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about dial

    Hi Elizabeth,

    Thanks for your posting here.

    Do you mean that you enable the Dial-In function on a NT 4 server and the
    Windows XP client cannot dial-in?

    What is the detailed error message on the client?

    Please also check if there is any error in the Event log.

    Reference:

    314076 How to configure a connection to a virtual private network (VPN) in
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314076

    305550 How to configure a VPN connection to your corporate network in
    Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305550

    Have a nice day!

    Regards,
    Bob Qin
    Product Support Services
    Microsoft Corporation

    What is the error you are getting while dialing up?

    --
    Thanks,
    Sharoon

    "Elizabeth Abramson" <eabramson@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
    > I have an interesting dilemma. I have new IBM t31 laptops with windows xp
    > pro SP1 installed with all the latest updates. To connect to our network
    > remotely we have a dial up VPN set up on a windows NT 4.0 server. The
    > laptops have no problem connecting to our network from home when they use
    > the VPn connection. They cannot however dial directly into our network.
    > the dial-up works fine on our windows 2000 and nNT 4.0 workstations. Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    The error message is 678 the remote computer did not respond. All I see is
    that you first need to get to the internet before you can configure the VPN
    to work correctly. This issue is that the a lot of these people dial in
    thru the VPN to get to the internet as well as download there e-mail and
    such.

    "Sharoon Shetty K [MSFT]" <sharoons@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the error you are getting while dialing up?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Sharoon
    rights.

    > "Elizabeth Abramson" <eabramson@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
    > > I have an interesting dilemma. I have new IBM t31 laptops with windows
    xp
    > > pro SP1 installed with all the latest updates. To connect to our
    network
    > > remotely we have a dial up VPN set up on a windows NT 4.0 server. The
    > > laptops have no problem connecting to our network from home when they
    use
    > > the VPn connection. They cannot however dial directly into our network.
    > > the dial-up works fine on our windows 2000 and nNT 4.0 workstations.
    Any
    > > help would be appreciated.

    Hi Elizabeth,

    Do you mean that the client get the error when dial-up to Internet or
    connect to VPN server after dial-up?

    Please disable the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP and try again.

    To disable the Internet connection firewall:

    1. Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel".
    2. Click "Network and Internet Connections", and then click "Network
    Connections".
    3. Right-click "Local Area Connection", and then click "Properties".
    4. Click the "Advanced" tab, and then clear the check box under "Internet
    Connection Firewall".

    What is the result now?

    Regards,
    Bob Qin
    Product Support Services
    Microsoft Corporation

    Sorry but that still did not work. the phone dials, make the connection
    noise and after a couple of seconds I get the 678 error message

    Hi Elizabeth,

    Would you please let me know the detailed steps that you connect to the VPN
    server?

    If you first connect to ISP, then connect to the VPN server, it works
    properly?

    Please run msconfig.exe to disable Startup Group and Third party services
    on the Windows XP computer. What is the result?

    You can refer to the following document for more information:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Regards,
    Bob Qin
    Product Support Services