Server Name in the TSWEB Logon page

When I am accessing my XP machines over the Internet, I enter the server name in the logon page. I get the message: "The specified remote computer could not be found..." It works when I am inside the LAN. Any thoughts? I tried the IP address as well, no luck. If I leave the name blank, I can connet to the host IIS machine, however, my goal is to connect to other XP machines on the LAN from the Internet.

You can't achieve that goal in this way.

Other ways to do it: 1) Connect via VPN to the host machine/network, then
use the web method to choose machines by name or private IP address. 2)
create a custom web page with separate choices for each machine.

I suspect #2 is what you really want to have--it isn't real difficult. I'm
not sure whether Jeffrey or Al have sample pages to show this, or not.

"csl" <csl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I am accessing my XP machines over the Internet, I enter the server
> name in the logon page. I get the message: "The specified remote computer
> could not be found..." It works when I am inside the LAN. Any thoughts?
> I tried the IP address as well, no luck. If I leave the name blank, I can
> connet to the host IIS machine, however, my goal is to connect to other XP
> machines on the LAN from the Internet.

I don't yet but I will have a tutorial on how to edit the RDWC page
soon... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:48:16 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>You can't achieve that goal in this way.
>
>Other ways to do it: 1) Connect via VPN to the host machine/network, then
>use the web method to choose machines by name or private IP address. 2)
>create a custom web page with separate choices for each machine.
>
>I suspect #2 is what you really want to have--it isn't real difficult. I'm
>not sure whether Jeffrey or Al have sample pages to show this, or not.
>
>"csl" <csl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I am accessing my XP machines over the Internet, I enter the server
>> name in the logon page. I get the message: "The specified remote computer
>> could not be found..." It works when I am inside the LAN. Any thoughts?
>> I tried the IP address as well, no luck. If I leave the name blank, I can
>> connet to the host IIS machine, however, my goal is to connect to other XP
>> machines on the LAN from the Internet.

Terrific!
(bill, back from impromptu vacation in the Shenandoah--a week away from kids
for the first time in 9 years!)

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:v866g0llo1knlmv5av79cavbvqkf5r2dgr@4ax.com...
>I don't yet but I will have a tutorial on how to edit the RDWC page
> soon... :)
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:48:16 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>You can't achieve that goal in this way.
>>
>>Other ways to do it: 1) Connect via VPN to the host machine/network, then
>>use the web method to choose machines by name or private IP address. 2)
>>create a custom web page with separate choices for each machine.
>>
>>I suspect #2 is what you really want to have--it isn't real difficult.
>>I'm
>>not sure whether Jeffrey or Al have sample pages to show this, or not.
>>
>>"csl" <csl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> When I am accessing my XP machines over the Internet, I enter the server
>>> name in the logon page. I get the message: "The specified remote
>>> computer
>>> could not be found..." It works when I am inside the LAN. Any
>>> thoughts?
>>> I tried the IP address as well, no luck. If I leave the name blank, I
>>> can
>>> connet to the host IIS machine, however, my goal is to connect to other
>>> XP
>>> machines on the LAN from the Internet.

nice... I need to go on one soon... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:23:58 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>Terrific!
>(bill, back from impromptu vacation in the Shenandoah--a week away from kids
>for the first time in 9 years!)
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
>in message news:v866g0llo1knlmv5av79cavbvqkf5r2dgr@4ax.com...
>>I don't yet but I will have a tutorial on how to edit the RDWC page
>> soon... :)
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:48:16 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
>> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>>
>>>You can't achieve that goal in this way.
>>>
>>>Other ways to do it: 1) Connect via VPN to the host machine/network, then
>>>use the web method to choose machines by name or private IP address. 2)
>>>create a custom web page with separate choices for each machine.
>>>
>>>I suspect #2 is what you really want to have--it isn't real difficult.
>>>I'm
>>>not sure whether Jeffrey or Al have sample pages to show this, or not.
>>>
>>>"csl" <csl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

When your retired..."Every day is a holiday"...:)

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> nice... I need to go on one soon... :)
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:23:58 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>Terrific!
>>(bill, back from impromptu vacation in the Shenandoah--a week away from kids
>>for the first time in 9 years!)

Have a good one, when you do!

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:adntg0llhvm0i12tigicrpsun9ke133ka9@4ax.com...