Four W7 upgrades and I'm happy

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I’ve done 4 Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 upgrade with varying times. The first machine was my media computer; it has in it a Asus P5n7a-VM 730i motherboard, 9300 on board graphics, E6300 processor, and 4GB of OCZ pc2-6400 memory, SATA DVD drive, 2 160GB internal drives one for the OS the other for files and a 250GB eSATA external drive for recording shows. I was running Windows 7 RC 1 Ultimate on it, upgraded it with a $50 upgrade of Home Premium, which meant a clean install that took 40 minutes with no problems.
The second machine is the computer I have 8 150 per unit DVD carousel’s or My DVD movie collection hooked to it. This machine does most everything including photos, word processing, web surfing, and anything I can think of except gaming. It has in it a Asus P5n-t Deluxe 780i motherboard, E6850 Processor, 4GB memory, 9800 GT, , SATA DVD drive, 160GB drive for the OS, 4 160GB drives raid 5, 1 320GB eSATA external drive for back up of the raid 5 file drive. I used the first copy of my Home Premium Family Pack (3 Licenses) that I got off Newegg for $150 to upgrade this computer. It took 2 hours to complete and the only problem I had was it caused one of the drives in my raid set to error so I had to rebuild It, which was no big deal. I know it was the upgrade that caused it because it did the same thing on my game computer.
The next Computer was my gaming Machine that’s the only thing I do on it play games. It has a Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard, Q9450 Processor, 8GB of memory, 3 8800GTX’s, 1 250G 32MB OS drive, 5 250GB 32MB drives in a raid 5 set, 1 1T eSATA backup drive, DVD drive and is OC. I had to set everything to auto in the bios to get it to upgrade and it took only 1 hour and 40 minutes to upgrade flawlessly except for the drive it caused to error out in the raid set, again not a big deal, I just don’t understand why it did it.
Lastly my stepdaughter’s computer that she uses for school work, iTunes, web surfing, graphics art, word processing and anything else she can think of. It has a Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard, E4400 processor, 4GB memory, 1 160Gb OS drive 1 160GB file drive and 1 160GB backup drive, DVD SATA drive. This machine took 1 hour and 25 minutes to upgrade with no problems at all.
Once you started the upgrade you could walk away until it asked for the product key and once you entered it would come up to the same desktop you had when you started only it’s a Windows 7 desktop instead. This is the most trouble free upgrade I have ever done and I think one of the reasons is because I had everything ready which included updates and drivers. I just need one more copy at $50 to complete all the computers on my net work.

gps335

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I couldn't agree more. I recently built my own PC with Vista home x64 and have never been more dissatisfied. I have had problem after problem after problem. Certain bugs and glitches were getting the best of me and I was so happy that I was able to get the free upgrade to W7. I have never been more satisfied. The upgrade went flawlessly and 99% of those stupid little glitches that annoyed the living hell out of me in vista are now gone! I have never been more satisfied. Microsoft did a good job with this version of Windows. It's about time lol.

No upgrades for me.... too risky. I go with clean installs all the way. Unless of course you were simply referring to the fact that you moved 4 computers from Vista to 7 without doing an actual in-place upgrade.

I know they work, and that when they do, they work well. I just can't take that risk though and I would advise anyone who can't risk it to do a clean install as well. Glad to hear you like 7 though! I love it too!

mruiz13

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
have a quiestion for you i have a VGN-cr240f windows vista 32 bits looking foward to install windows 7 64 bits clean of course but i don't know if the drivers would work ..............no drivers available on sony.............what do you recomend intall it and try the vista drivers......

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
@gps335

Vista is known to cause problems on a fresh install until you've downloaded and installed service pack 2. I am running 4 Vista machines (3 x86 and 1 x64) and they are solid and flawless.