Why would I want Microsoft media center edition?

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Desktops
  • Media Center
  • Microsoft
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2004 12:57:24 PM

Instead of buying a media center PC with Microsoft
media operating software.... wont it be better to just
buy a Hauppauge card and use any OS I want to build my
own PVR?

Bottom line..... if i buy a media center Pc wont the
ONLY system Ill be able to use is Microsofts?

More about : microsoft media center edition

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:32:27 AM

I see that there is something called Media Center Extender from
LinkSys that only works with Microsoft Media Center PC v5. It is
basically a network media player, and it is getting a good review in
the recent edition of PC Magazine. Currently, another similar network
media player that I know of is not that great according to review in
this newsgroup.

If someone wants to get a network media player along with getting a
new PC, he will be tempted to get the Media Center Extender (like the
one from LinkSys) and a Microsoft Media Center PC v5.

If someone wants to upgrade the O/S on his existing PC anyway, he will
be interested to upgrade the O/S into Microsoft Media Center v5 (I am
under the impression that Microsoft Media Center v5 doesn't have to
come with a PC). Then he can get his option open just in case he wants
to get a Media Center Extender (that only works with Microsoft Media
Center v5).

In my opinion, this Media Center Extender thing is a way Microsoft
uses to tie in everything to force/attract us to buy Microsoft Media
Center v5. If all the new network media players come to the market are
Media Center Extenders and if they all come with attractive features,
we will be hard pressed not to buy a copy of Microsoft Media Center
v5. In other words, the more attractive Media Center Extenders are,
the more likely we will be buying Microsoft Media Center v5.

People like me who has already had an existing PC and is not planning
to change its O/S will not find Microsoft Media Center useful.
Moreover, I want that device to be able to surf internet (and play
some games occasionally), not just watching TV / listening to music /
viewing pictures. I would prefer to get a real PC instead of a network
media player. The price of a real PC is getting cheaper and cheaper,
and the price of a Microsoft Media Center is not really that cheap
(something like $299) (I guess because this product is still new).

Anyway, the cost of establishing a TV-viewing station consists not
only of the cost of the PC/network media player, but also of the cost
of a nice TV. The cost of a nice TV is probably much greater than the
cost of a low-end-PC/network media player. When we add all the dollar
amount together, the price difference between a low-end-PC and a
network media player simply is not big enough. If the low-end PC not
only can show TV programs, but also can surf internet (at low
resolution), I would think that the low-end PC is more attractive than
the network media player. The shortcoming in this line of reasoning is
how well we can use a nice TV to surf internet. If the answer is "this
is OK", PC will come out ahead. If the answer is "this is really
poor", network media player will come out ahead (because surfing
internet will not be a relevant factor).

Thanks for listening.

Jay Chan
November 10, 2004 1:55:23 PM

> When we add all the dollar
>amount together, the price difference between a low-end-PC and a
>network media player simply is not big enough.

Good points Jay!

So you feel one might as well have a dedicated low cost
PC right next to the TV..... rather than using a media
extender device and getting the data fro a server
somewhere else
Related resources
November 11, 2004 2:45:50 PM

>Then he can get his option open just in case he wants
>to get a Media Center Extender (that only works with Microsoft Media
>Center v5).

This is what bothers me abt these media center
"extenders"..... they ONLY work with Microsoft,
correct?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 11:10:55 AM

> This is what bothers me abt these media center
> "extenders"..... they ONLY work with Microsoft,
> correct?

The recent issue of PC Magazine clearly stated that those "media
center extenders" will only work with Microsoft "media center edition
version 5". This means they will _not_ work with other versions of
Microsoft Windows, not even the older version of Microsoft media
center O/S. I guess this is the reason why Microsoft now allows people
to buy "media center edition version 5" separately from a purchase of
a PC; then, Microsoft can get more business from selling "media center
edition version 5" to people who have other version of Windows in
their PCs. They will get quite a bit of "upgrade-O/S" business.

Jay Chan
November 12, 2004 4:27:38 PM

>The recent issue of PC Magazine clearly stated that those "media
>center extenders" will only work with Microsoft "media center edition
>version 5". This means they will _not_ work with other versions of
>Microsoft Windows, not even the older version of Microsoft media
>center O/S. I guess this is the reason why Microsoft now allows people
>to buy "media center edition version 5" separately from a purchase of
>a PC; then, Microsoft can get more business from selling "media center
>edition version 5" to people who have other version of Windows in
>their PCs. They will get quite a bit of "upgrade-O/S" business.

Not good then.... is it?

Im not keen on being forced to use only one OS
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 10:33:28 PM

Most computer manufacturers gave a free copy of Media Center 2005 to
their customers with previous versions. So MS didn't make any money
there. You all speak and I'm sure you have never even seen a media
center in action. It is well worth the money and the extender as well.
Think of having a machine that combines the best things about a
computer and a Tivo. And without subscription fees. Media Center 2005
is an amazing OS and you should give it a look. I couldn't imagine my
life without it.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:22:34 PM

Crand wrote:
> Most computer manufacturers gave a free copy of Media Center 2005 to
> their customers with previous versions. So MS didn't make any money
> there. You all speak and I'm sure you have never even seen a media
> center in action. It is well worth the money and the extender as
well.
> Think of having a machine that combines the best things about a
> computer and a Tivo. And without subscription fees. Media Center
2005
> is an amazing OS and you should give it a look. I couldn't imagine
my
> life without it.

Its my understanding that the Media Center 2005 operating system can
only be had with a new computer system (i.e. HP, Gateway, Dell, etc).
You can't just purchase the Media Center software and build your own
system, BICBW.
December 7, 2004 11:57:44 AM

>You can't just purchase the Media Center software and build your own
>system, BICBW.

Yes you can

You can buy it from NewEgg

see link

http://tinyurl.com/57m2a
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:14:02 PM

>> Most computer manufacturers gave a free copy of
>> Media Center 2005 to their customers with previous
>> versions.

Where can I sign up for the free copy? I have a spare PC that is
running Win95. Can I get a free copy of MCE-2005 and upgrade that
Win95?

>> You all speak and I'm sure you have never even seen a media
>> center in action. It is well worth the money and the extender as
well.
>> Think of having a machine that combines the best things about a
>> computer and a Tivo. And without subscription fees.

I know what you are talking about. Currently, I have Beyond-TV running
in my primary PC. It makes the PC work like a TiVo machine. Yes,
making an existing PC as a TiVo-like machine is a great move, and I
highly recommend doing this. I think a person who is buying a new PC
for home likely wants to get MCE-2005 instead of plain WinXP (this is
only $39 extra in Dell -- O/S only, remote/TV-tuner-card are extra). I
assume a person who doesn't have any PVR software in his PC may also be
interested to get MCE-2005 instead of a third party PVR software (such
as Beyond-TV).

I just don't think the current media-center-extender from LinkSys is
attractive enough to lurk me into replacing Beyond-TV in my PC with
MCE-2005. Extenders will only be interesting to me if I can use it to
surf internet. Without the capability to surf internet using an
extender, I would much rather using a low-end PC instead of an
extender, and I would not have any reason to replace Beyond-TV with
MCE-2005. Obviously, not everyone wants to surf internet in multiple
locations in his home; those people will be interested to use
extenders.

I would assume that if Microsoft can change their X-box into an
extender and to allow people to surf internet with it (plus playing
games, watching recorded TVs ...etc), X-box will become very
attractive. And that will make MCE-2005 a "must-have".

Jay Chan
December 8, 2004 11:25:53 AM

> I assume a person who doesn't have any PVR software in his PC may also be
>interested to get MCE-2005 instead of a third party PVR software (such
>as Beyond-TV).

Hi Jay.....

From the problems Ive been reading abt Windows MCE
2005...... Im not so sure that plain ole Win XP Pro and
running Beyond TV are better options!!

What you think?

Im almost convinced to just stick with Win XP Pro and
use BTV and forget abt Windows mce

Advice?
!