Why would I want Microsoft media center edition?

Instead of buying a media center PC with Microsoft
media operating software.... wont it be better to just
buy a Hauppauge card and use any OS I want to build my
own PVR?

Bottom line..... if i buy a media center Pc wont the
ONLY system Ill be able to use is Microsofts?
10 answers Last reply
More about microsoft media center edition

    I see that there is something called Media Center Extender from
    LinkSys that only works with Microsoft Media Center PC v5. It is
    basically a network media player, and it is getting a good review in
    the recent edition of PC Magazine. Currently, another similar network
    media player that I know of is not that great according to review in
    this newsgroup.

    If someone wants to get a network media player along with getting a
    new PC, he will be tempted to get the Media Center Extender (like the
    one from LinkSys) and a Microsoft Media Center PC v5.

    If someone wants to upgrade the O/S on his existing PC anyway, he will
    be interested to upgrade the O/S into Microsoft Media Center v5 (I am
    under the impression that Microsoft Media Center v5 doesn't have to
    come with a PC). Then he can get his option open just in case he wants
    to get a Media Center Extender (that only works with Microsoft Media
    Center v5).

    In my opinion, this Media Center Extender thing is a way Microsoft
    uses to tie in everything to force/attract us to buy Microsoft Media
    Center v5. If all the new network media players come to the market are
    Media Center Extenders and if they all come with attractive features,
    we will be hard pressed not to buy a copy of Microsoft Media Center
    v5. In other words, the more attractive Media Center Extenders are,
    the more likely we will be buying Microsoft Media Center v5.

    People like me who has already had an existing PC and is not planning
    to change its O/S will not find Microsoft Media Center useful.
    Moreover, I want that device to be able to surf internet (and play
    some games occasionally), not just watching TV / listening to music /
    viewing pictures. I would prefer to get a real PC instead of a network
    media player. The price of a real PC is getting cheaper and cheaper,
    and the price of a Microsoft Media Center is not really that cheap
    (something like $299) (I guess because this product is still new).

    Anyway, the cost of establishing a TV-viewing station consists not
    only of the cost of the PC/network media player, but also of the cost
    of a nice TV. The cost of a nice TV is probably much greater than the
    cost of a low-end-PC/network media player. When we add all the dollar
    amount together, the price difference between a low-end-PC and a
    network media player simply is not big enough. If the low-end PC not
    only can show TV programs, but also can surf internet (at low
    resolution), I would think that the low-end PC is more attractive than
    the network media player. The shortcoming in this line of reasoning is
    how well we can use a nice TV to surf internet. If the answer is "this
    is OK", PC will come out ahead. If the answer is "this is really
    poor", network media player will come out ahead (because surfing
    internet will not be a relevant factor).

    Thanks for listening.

    Jay Chan

    > When we add all the dollar
    >amount together, the price difference between a low-end-PC and a
    >network media player simply is not big enough.

    Good points Jay!

    So you feel one might as well have a dedicated low cost
    PC right next to the TV..... rather than using a media
    extender device and getting the data fro a server
    somewhere else

    >Then he can get his option open just in case he wants
    >to get a Media Center Extender (that only works with Microsoft Media
    >Center v5).

    This is what bothers me abt these media center
    "extenders"..... they ONLY work with Microsoft,
    correct?

    > This is what bothers me abt these media center
    > "extenders"..... they ONLY work with Microsoft,
    > correct?

    The recent issue of PC Magazine clearly stated that those "media
    center extenders" will only work with Microsoft "media center edition
    version 5". This means they will _not_ work with other versions of
    Microsoft Windows, not even the older version of Microsoft media
    center O/S. I guess this is the reason why Microsoft now allows people
    to buy "media center edition version 5" separately from a purchase of
    a PC; then, Microsoft can get more business from selling "media center
    edition version 5" to people who have other version of Windows in
    their PCs. They will get quite a bit of "upgrade-O/S" business.

    Jay Chan

    >The recent issue of PC Magazine clearly stated that those "media
    >center extenders" will only work with Microsoft "media center edition
    >version 5". This means they will _not_ work with other versions of
    >Microsoft Windows, not even the older version of Microsoft media
    >center O/S. I guess this is the reason why Microsoft now allows people
    >to buy "media center edition version 5" separately from a purchase of
    >a PC; then, Microsoft can get more business from selling "media center
    >edition version 5" to people who have other version of Windows in
    >their PCs. They will get quite a bit of "upgrade-O/S" business.

    Not good then.... is it?

    Im not keen on being forced to use only one OS

    Most computer manufacturers gave a free copy of Media Center 2005 to
    their customers with previous versions. So MS didn't make any money
    there. You all speak and I'm sure you have never even seen a media
    center in action. It is well worth the money and the extender as well.
    Think of having a machine that combines the best things about a
    computer and a Tivo. And without subscription fees. Media Center 2005
    is an amazing OS and you should give it a look. I couldn't imagine my
    life without it.

    Crand wrote:
    > Most computer manufacturers gave a free copy of Media Center 2005 to
    > their customers with previous versions. So MS didn't make any money
    > there. You all speak and I'm sure you have never even seen a media
    > center in action. It is well worth the money and the extender as
    well.
    > Think of having a machine that combines the best things about a
    > computer and a Tivo. And without subscription fees. Media Center
    2005
    > is an amazing OS and you should give it a look. I couldn't imagine
    my
    > life without it.

    Its my understanding that the Media Center 2005 operating system can
    only be had with a new computer system (i.e. HP, Gateway, Dell, etc).
    You can't just purchase the Media Center software and build your own
    system, BICBW.

    >You can't just purchase the Media Center software and build your own
    >system, BICBW.

    Yes you can

    You can buy it from NewEgg

    see link

    http://tinyurl.com/57m2a

    >> Most computer manufacturers gave a free copy of
    >> Media Center 2005 to their customers with previous
    >> versions.

    Where can I sign up for the free copy? I have a spare PC that is
    running Win95. Can I get a free copy of MCE-2005 and upgrade that
    Win95?

    >> You all speak and I'm sure you have never even seen a media
    >> center in action. It is well worth the money and the extender as
    well.
    >> Think of having a machine that combines the best things about a
    >> computer and a Tivo. And without subscription fees.

    I know what you are talking about. Currently, I have Beyond-TV running
    in my primary PC. It makes the PC work like a TiVo machine. Yes,
    making an existing PC as a TiVo-like machine is a great move, and I
    highly recommend doing this. I think a person who is buying a new PC
    for home likely wants to get MCE-2005 instead of plain WinXP (this is
    only $39 extra in Dell -- O/S only, remote/TV-tuner-card are extra). I
    assume a person who doesn't have any PVR software in his PC may also be
    interested to get MCE-2005 instead of a third party PVR software (such
    as Beyond-TV).

    I just don't think the current media-center-extender from LinkSys is
    attractive enough to lurk me into replacing Beyond-TV in my PC with
    MCE-2005. Extenders will only be interesting to me if I can use it to
    surf internet. Without the capability to surf internet using an
    extender, I would much rather using a low-end PC instead of an
    extender, and I would not have any reason to replace Beyond-TV with
    MCE-2005. Obviously, not everyone wants to surf internet in multiple
    locations in his home; those people will be interested to use
    extenders.

    I would assume that if Microsoft can change their X-box into an
    extender and to allow people to surf internet with it (plus playing
    games, watching recorded TVs ...etc), X-box will become very
    attractive. And that will make MCE-2005 a "must-have".

    Jay Chan

    > I assume a person who doesn't have any PVR software in his PC may also be
    >interested to get MCE-2005 instead of a third party PVR software (such
    >as Beyond-TV).

    Hi Jay.....

    From the problems Ive been reading abt Windows MCE
    2005...... Im not so sure that plain ole Win XP Pro and
    running Beyond TV are better options!!

    What you think?

    Im almost convinced to just stick with Win XP Pro and
    use BTV and forget abt Windows mce

    Advice?

Tuner Cards Desktops Media Center Microsoft Graphics