hooking up older Sony Handycam to PC

hello:

I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the first
time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here could
advise me on what to try next.

Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed it
with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the FireWire
ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the camera,
nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I could
access the camera that way, but got nothing.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access the
video on the camera?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

TB
12 answers Last reply
More about hooking older sony handycam

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:41:49 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >hello:
    >
    >I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the first
    >time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here could
    >advise me on what to try next.
    >
    >Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed it
    >with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the FireWire
    >ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the camera,
    >nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I could
    >access the camera that way, but got nothing.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access the
    >video on the camera?
    >
    >Any and all suggestions appreciated.

    A lot of things can be wrong. Check the cable, check if the firewire
    card is working well according to the operating system, check the
    camera on another pc, do the same with the firewire card etc. Good
    luck!

    how do i check the cable? also, the firewire card showed up in the device
    manager and it says it is working properly. what else can i do to test it?

    TB

    > A lot of things can be wrong. Check the cable, check if the firewire
    > card is working well according to the operating system, check the
    > camera on another pc, do the same with the firewire card etc. Good
    > luck!

    Hello,
    I use the sister model (TRV7000E) and can say it works very well.
    I just put FireWire card into my PC (Windows 98SE), nothing more.
    No driver, no special sw, no installation.
    The routine:
    - switch on the PC
    - connect FireWire (iLink) cable to your camcorder
    - switch on the camcorder
    - start your NLE sw (or just a transfer program, like WinDV)
    - choose MS DV device
    - download your movie from the camcorder

    Possible problem (my own experience): it is highly recommended to use
    FireWire card with either NEC or TI chip set.

    Roman

    T.B. wrote:

    > I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the first
    > time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here could
    > advise me on what to try next.
    >
    > Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed it
    > with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the FireWire
    > ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the camera,
    > nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I could
    > access the camera that way, but got nothing.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access the
    > video on the camera?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > TB

    Is it possible that the software i'm using may not be the right kind? I am
    using Pinnacle Studio DV, but don't have a Pinnacle card. It is a Belkin
    card, but says Texas Instruments OHCI in the device mgr.

    TB

    "Roman Svihorik" <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I use the sister model (TRV7000E) and can say it works very well.
    > I just put FireWire card into my PC (Windows 98SE), nothing more.
    > No driver, no special sw, no installation.
    > The routine:
    > - switch on the PC
    > - connect FireWire (iLink) cable to your camcorder
    > - switch on the camcorder
    > - start your NLE sw (or just a transfer program, like WinDV)
    > - choose MS DV device
    > - download your movie from the camcorder
    >
    > Possible problem (my own experience): it is highly recommended to use
    > FireWire card with either NEC or TI chip set.
    >
    > Roman
    >
    > T.B. wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the
    first
    > > time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here
    could
    > > advise me on what to try next.
    > >
    > > Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed
    it
    > > with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the
    FireWire
    > > ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the camera,
    > > nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I could
    > > access the camera that way, but got nothing.
    > >
    > > What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access the
    > > video on the camera?
    > >
    > > Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    > >
    > > TB

    All Good advice...EXCEPT...

    It may take as long as 5 minutes for a computer to recognize the camcorder
    after connecting it and turning it on. Be patient. Do not start clicking on
    this and that during the driver loading process
    webpa

    What operating system are you using? Plus you need to make sure the
    operating system is reconizing you firewire port before you can even
    use the camera.

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:41:49 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >hello:
    >
    >I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the first
    >time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here could
    >advise me on what to try next.
    >
    >Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed it
    >with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the FireWire
    >ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the camera,
    >nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I could
    >access the camera that way, but got nothing.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access the
    >video on the camera?
    >
    >Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    >
    >TB

    Those old Sony's usually connect easy.

    So, it sounds like when you try to capture video from with Studio DV the
    new windows says the capture source will be the TI OHCI device. This should
    be fine. Most generic firewires identify as this.

    Is this Studio 9? I Looked at the webpage screen shots and the capture
    window basically just wants you to click the capture botton.....

    Just to restate the obvious.

    1. Camera connected and turned on to "VCR" mode before you start the
    Pinnacle Studio program.

    Thats pretty much it. When you click capture the camcorder should start to
    play and the footage get captured. Far as I can tell this software is
    designed to be the basic starter solution for people so just want to turn
    their stuff into DVD's. Basically designed to keep people from mucking about
    with settings that might end them up in weirdland.

    "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
    > Is it possible that the software i'm using may not be the right kind? I
    am
    > using Pinnacle Studio DV, but don't have a Pinnacle card. It is a Belkin
    > card, but says Texas Instruments OHCI in the device mgr.
    >
    > TB
    >
    > "Roman Svihorik" <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I use the sister model (TRV7000E) and can say it works very well.
    > > I just put FireWire card into my PC (Windows 98SE), nothing more.
    > > No driver, no special sw, no installation.
    > > The routine:
    > > - switch on the PC
    > > - connect FireWire (iLink) cable to your camcorder
    > > - switch on the camcorder
    > > - start your NLE sw (or just a transfer program, like WinDV)
    > > - choose MS DV device
    > > - download your movie from the camcorder
    > >
    > > Possible problem (my own experience): it is highly recommended to use
    > > FireWire card with either NEC or TI chip set.
    > >
    > > Roman
    > >
    > > T.B. wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the
    > first
    > > > time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here
    > could
    > > > advise me on what to try next.
    > > >
    > > > Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed
    > it
    > > > with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the
    > FireWire
    > > > ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the
    camera,
    > > > nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I
    could
    > > > access the camera that way, but got nothing.
    > > >
    > > > What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access
    the
    > > > video on the camera?
    > > >
    > > > Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > TB

    TB:

    If you are actually using the original Pinnacle Studio DV, have you
    updated it to version 1.26? I don't recall what problems the updates
    solved, but the last update was (as I recall) 1.26, and it worked
    better than Studio 7, 8, or perhaps even 9.

    If you are actually using one of the later Studio itterations, I can't
    help you, as I purchased 7 and 8, but because of all the problems
    reported with those versions I never installed either of them.

    Good luck!

    T.B. wrote:

    > Is it possible that the software i'm using may not be the right kind?

    I do not suppose that.

    > I am
    > using Pinnacle Studio DV, but don't have a Pinnacle card.

    It does not matter.

    > It is a Belkin
    > card, but says Texas Instruments OHCI in the device mgr.

    Seems to all right then.

    Try to follow other responses regarding PC's hw check.
    Roman

    well I guess I just didn't know how to "capture" the video. So it was just
    a software issue of me not knowing how to use it. My video showed up fine
    so i'm all set.

    thanks

    TB

    "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Those old Sony's usually connect easy.
    >
    > So, it sounds like when you try to capture video from with Studio DV the
    > new windows says the capture source will be the TI OHCI device. This
    should
    > be fine. Most generic firewires identify as this.
    >
    > Is this Studio 9? I Looked at the webpage screen shots and the capture
    > window basically just wants you to click the capture botton.....
    >
    > Just to restate the obvious.
    >
    > 1. Camera connected and turned on to "VCR" mode before you start the
    > Pinnacle Studio program.
    >
    > Thats pretty much it. When you click capture the camcorder should start to
    > play and the footage get captured. Far as I can tell this software is
    > designed to be the basic starter solution for people so just want to turn
    > their stuff into DVD's. Basically designed to keep people from mucking
    about
    > with settings that might end them up in weirdland.
    >

    > "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible that the software i'm using may not be the right kind? I
    > am
    > > using Pinnacle Studio DV, but don't have a Pinnacle card. It is a
    Belkin
    > > card, but says Texas Instruments OHCI in the device mgr.
    > >
    > > TB
    > >
    > > "Roman Svihorik" <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > > I use the sister model (TRV7000E) and can say it works very well.
    > > > I just put FireWire card into my PC (Windows 98SE), nothing more.
    > > > No driver, no special sw, no installation.
    > > > The routine:
    > > > - switch on the PC
    > > > - connect FireWire (iLink) cable to your camcorder
    > > > - switch on the camcorder
    > > > - start your NLE sw (or just a transfer program, like WinDV)
    > > > - choose MS DV device
    > > > - download your movie from the camcorder
    > > >
    > > > Possible problem (my own experience): it is highly recommended to use
    > > > FireWire card with either NEC or TI chip set.
    > > >
    > > > Roman

    > > first
    > > could

    > > it
    > > FireWire
    > camera,
    > could

    > the

    my 2 cents...i use a trv-320 & found the firewire cable from the pc to the
    camera made all the difference. Might try a different one (different
    brand)....

    > hello:
    >
    > I have a Sony DCR-TRV315 and am trying to connect it to my PC for the
    > first
    > time and am having some problems doing so. I was hoping someone here
    > could
    > advise me on what to try next.
    >
    > Basically, I purchased a Belkin FireWire 3-port PCI Card and installed it
    > with no problems. I then connected my Sony HandyCam to one of the
    > FireWire
    > ports with a new I-link cable I got on ebay. When I connect the camera,
    > nothing happens. So I installed Pinnacle DV Studio v9 to see if I could
    > access the camera that way, but got nothing.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a specific software to access the
    > video on the camera?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > TB

    Ah, I bet you were thinking it would be like getting the pictures off your
    Digital Still Camera!

    Sounds like your up top the learning curve now.

    > well I guess I just didn't know how to "capture" the video. So it was
    just
    > a software issue of me not knowing how to use it. My video showed up fine
    > so i'm all set.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > TB
    >
    > "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > Those old Sony's usually connect easy.
    > >
    > > So, it sounds like when you try to capture video from with Studio DV
    the
    > > new windows says the capture source will be the TI OHCI device. This
    > should
    > > be fine. Most generic firewires identify as this.
    > >
    > > Is this Studio 9? I Looked at the webpage screen shots and the capture
    > > window basically just wants you to click the capture botton.....
    > >
    > > Just to restate the obvious.
    > >
    > > 1. Camera connected and turned on to "VCR" mode before you start the
    > > Pinnacle Studio program.
    > >
    > > Thats pretty much it. When you click capture the camcorder should start
    > > play and the footage get captured. Far as I can tell this software is
    > > designed to be the basic starter solution for people so just want to
    turn
    > > their stuff into DVD's. Basically designed to keep people from mucking
    > about
    > > with settings that might end them up in weirdland.
    > >

    > > "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
    > > > Is it possible that the software i'm using may not be the right kind?
    > > am
    > > > using Pinnacle Studio DV, but don't have a Pinnacle card. It is a
    > Belkin
    > > > card, but says Texas Instruments OHCI in the device mgr.
    > > >
    > > > TB
    > > >
    > > > "Roman Svihorik" <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote in message

    > the
    > > > first