Do it myself or hire someone?

July 23, 2004 6:16:10 PM

I am trying to pitch to my 80 year old boss that once I have my baby in Sept
I can start working part time from home.

We are a small office with 4 computers, all running XP Pro, connect wireless
to a router with a DSL connection
At home my computer is running xp with office professional, with cable
internet.

I have a few questions:
1- Is it easy enough and possible for me to set up "remote desktop" ? When
I called the company that does all of our computer and IT work, it would
cost about $500 - $600 to set this up for me, that is not in the budget.

2 - What information do I need to set up remote desktop? What info should I
gather and have ready to set it up? like IP addresses? Computer names? IP
phone number?

3 - Do I or should I use VPN and then set up the remote desktop?

Thank you in advance, I am just trying to get information so that when I
pitch it to my boss I will know or act like I know what I am talking about.

Rebecca S.

More about : hire

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:08:57 PM

Answers inline..

Reply to NEWSGROUP!

Rebecca wrote:
> I am trying to pitch to my 80 year old boss that once I have my baby
> in Sept I can start working part time from home.
>
> We are a small office with 4 computers, all running XP Pro, connect
> wireless to a router with a DSL connection
> At home my computer is running xp with office professional, with cable
> internet.
>
> I have a few questions:
> 1- Is it easy enough and possible for me to set up "remote desktop"
> ? When I called the company that does all of our computer and IT
> work, it would cost about $500 - $600 to set this up for me, that is
> not in the budget.

What exactly are they setting up? If you can setup the router to forward
certain port requests to a given computer (3389 if you were doing just one
computer) and you know the IP (Internet IP) of the router, then you are
pretty much done.

> 2 - What information do I need to set up remote desktop? What info
> should I gather and have ready to set it up? like IP addresses?
> Computer names? IP phone number?

If you are setting up more than one of the computers to be used remotely,
you will need them to essentially be setup with Static IPs (likely internal
IPs - as you said you have a router) and then on the router itself, forward
the port requests incoming to it to the computers.. In other words..

Port 3389 to the router forwards to Computer 1
Port 3390 to the router forwards to Computer 2
Port 3391 to the router forwards to Computer 3
Port 3392 to the router forwards to Computer 4

You can probably search the web for the router in question with the words
"port forwarding" in the search as well and find the procedure for your
router. Of course, this means you, not your over-charging IT support, has
access to the router.

And you change the listening port for Remote Desktop on each host computer
(1,2,3,4) appropriately using this article:

How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306759

And you can then connect to the computers from outside using this format:

ip.of.the.router:p ort#ofcomputeryouwant

> 3 - Do I or should I use VPN and then set up the remote desktop?

No need in this case, in my opinion.

--
<- Shenan ->
July 23, 2004 7:30:12 PM

In addition to Shenan's comments, here is a page that illustrates how to access multiple PCs behind
a firewall/NAT/router with Remote Desktop...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Answers inline..
>
> Reply to NEWSGROUP!
>
> Rebecca wrote:
>> I am trying to pitch to my 80 year old boss that once I have my baby
>> in Sept I can start working part time from home.
>>
>> We are a small office with 4 computers, all running XP Pro, connect
>> wireless to a router with a DSL connection
>> At home my computer is running xp with office professional, with cable
>> internet.
>>
>> I have a few questions:
>> 1- Is it easy enough and possible for me to set up "remote desktop"
>> ? When I called the company that does all of our computer and IT
>> work, it would cost about $500 - $600 to set this up for me, that is
>> not in the budget.
>
> What exactly are they setting up? If you can setup the router to forward
> certain port requests to a given computer (3389 if you were doing just one
> computer) and you know the IP (Internet IP) of the router, then you are
> pretty much done.
>
>> 2 - What information do I need to set up remote desktop? What info
>> should I gather and have ready to set it up? like IP addresses?
>> Computer names? IP phone number?
>
> If you are setting up more than one of the computers to be used remotely,
> you will need them to essentially be setup with Static IPs (likely internal
> IPs - as you said you have a router) and then on the router itself, forward
> the port requests incoming to it to the computers.. In other words..
>
> Port 3389 to the router forwards to Computer 1
> Port 3390 to the router forwards to Computer 2
> Port 3391 to the router forwards to Computer 3
> Port 3392 to the router forwards to Computer 4
>
> You can probably search the web for the router in question with the words
> "port forwarding" in the search as well and find the procedure for your
> router. Of course, this means you, not your over-charging IT support, has
> access to the router.
>
> And you change the listening port for Remote Desktop on each host computer
> (1,2,3,4) appropriately using this article:
>
> How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306759
>
> And you can then connect to the computers from outside using this format:
>
> ip.of.the.router:p ort#ofcomputeryouwant
>

>> 3 - Do I or should I use VPN and then set up the remote desktop?
>
> No need in this case, in my opinion.
>
>> Thank you in advance, I am just trying to get information so that
>> when I pitch it to my boss I will know or act like I know what I am
>> talking about.
>>
>> Rebecca S.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:42:24 PM

I am not needing to access multi computers.. Just my work station.

Our computers here at work are set up with wireless conection and then we
have shared folders to where we can obtain info that we choose to share from
our computer.

I have no need to access anyone elses computer. I will need to access my
work computer from my home computer. No one else in the office will need to
do this.

Rebecca S.

!