How do I troubleshoot a laptop giving jerky video playback..

I have a good fast laptop which used to be able to play XVID files
through BSPLAYER with good performance. I know the files are good
because the play perfectly on a much less capable and slower desktop
PC.

Something has now happened and now the playback of any XVID files is
jerky; the motion seems like its playing at 10 - 20 frames per second.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot this problem on the laptop?

Is this a most likely to be a CODEC problem?

I have tried to remove codecs using control panel but they seem to
miraculously reinstall themselves on laptop reset.

How can I remove codecs completely?
4 answers Last reply
More about troubleshoot laptop giving jerky video playback

    Have you defragged the hard disk?

    "Peter" <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote in message
    > I have a good fast laptop which used to be able to play XVID files
    > through BSPLAYER with good performance. I know the files are good
    > because the play perfectly on a much less capable and slower desktop
    > PC.
    >
    > Something has now happened and now the playback of any XVID files is
    > jerky; the motion seems like its playing at 10 - 20 frames per second.
    >
    > Where do I begin to troubleshoot this problem on the laptop?
    >
    > Is this a most likely to be a CODEC problem?
    >
    > I have tried to remove codecs using control panel but they seem to
    > miraculously reinstall themselves on laptop reset.
    >
    > How can I remove codecs completely?

    I defrag the disc regularly. The picture jerkiness is very regular. On
    most XVID movies which play perfectly well on my faster desktop PC
    appear as a steady 12 fps on the laptop. Horrible to watch any dance
    scenes.

    In article <e6m2p0lj4pma2ap73p42k8ggrg3ngqs9jc@4ax.com>,
    usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM says...
    > Subject: How do I troubleshoot a laptop giving jerky video playback of XVID files
    > From: Peter <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > I have a good fast laptop which used to be able to play XVID files
    > through BSPLAYER with good performance. I know the files are good
    > because the play perfectly on a much less capable and slower desktop
    > PC.
    >
    > Something has now happened and now the playback of any XVID files is
    > jerky; the motion seems like its playing at 10 - 20 frames per second.
    >
    > Where do I begin to troubleshoot this problem on the laptop?
    >
    > Is this a most likely to be a CODEC problem?
    >
    > I have tried to remove codecs using control panel but they seem to
    > miraculously reinstall themselves on laptop reset.
    >
    > How can I remove codecs completely?

    Are you still using BSPlayer? If you are using MS's player that is a
    bloated warthog. Also check the bit rates, the new files you tried may
    be running higher rates then you used to use. If the jerkyness
    coincides with HD access then check that your swap file isn't running
    out of room and that the disk is defraged. Of course anything that
    polls files like a virus scanner or the file cataloger in MS office
    would also have a negative effect on the transfer rate.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    >Are you still using BSPlayer?

    Yes, I am.

    >If you are using MS's player that is a
    >bloated warthog. Also check the bit rates, the new files you tried may
    >be running higher rates then you used to use. If the jerkyness
    >coincides with HD access then check that your swap file isn't running
    >out of room and that the disk is defraged. Of course anything that
    >polls files like a virus scanner or the file cataloger in MS office
    >would also have a negative effect on the transfer rate.

    The jerkiness is very consistent and seems unrelated to the hard disc
    activity. In fact it play back in the same jerky 12fps manner even if
    I play from a network drive.

    I have no better ideas at the moment than to remove every single codec
    and then replace them individually as I find file types will no longer
    play.

    Bit is there anything else beyond the codec that could be causing this
    jerkiness? My video adapter settings etc ... ?

Tuner Cards Laptops Codec Video Graphics