Remote desktop from XP Home to XP Home?

July 24, 2004 11:52:31 PM

I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
and servers and I just get lost.

Computers are not in same house.

My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
input.
His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
input.

He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make things
easier)

I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?

Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!

Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
Thanks for the help
Alan
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:28:40 AM

There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
Edition...

Try considering a product like UltraVNC
(http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
<Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:

>I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
>Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
>web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
>and servers and I just get lost.
>
>Computers are not in same house.
>
>My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
>input.
>His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
>input.
>
>He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make things
>easier)
>
>I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
>Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
>In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
>
>Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
>
>Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
>Thanks for the help
>Alan

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:55:27 AM

Also, if this is used over the public internet use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run UltraVNC
through a VPN tunnel...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

VNC firewall information...

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message
> There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
> Edition...
>
> Try considering a product like UltraVNC
> (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
> functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
> <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
>>Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
>>web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
>>and servers and I just get lost.
>>
>>Computers are not in same house.
>>
>>My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
>>input.
>>His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
>>input.
>>
>>He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make things
>>easier)
>>
>>I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
>>Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
>>In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
>>
>>Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
>>
>>Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
>>Thanks for the help
>>Alan

July 25, 2004 2:05:42 PM

Thanks for the help Jeffrey.
I would be completly lost with all that.
I'll just drive to his house to work on the computer.

Alan

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:tk66g0h7dv5974r07eeht13cld2jm7pmc2@4ax.com...
> There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
> Edition...
>
> Try considering a product like UltraVNC
> (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
> functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
> <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
> >Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
> >web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
> >and servers and I just get lost.
> >
> >Computers are not in same house.
> >
> >My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
> >input.
> >His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
> >input.
> >
> >He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make
things
> >easier)
> >
> >I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
> >Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
> >In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
> >
> >Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
> >
> >Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
> >Thanks for the help
> >Alan

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 2:07:20 PM

Thanks anyway Al but I'll just go there to do any work.
Not ready to start installing servers and all that goes with it.

Alan

> Also, if this is used over the public internet use the UltraVNC encryption
plug-in or run UltraVNC
> through a VPN tunnel...
>
> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
>
> VNC firewall information...
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote in message
> > There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
> > Edition...
> >
> > Try considering a product like UltraVNC
> > (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
> > functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
> > <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
> >
> >>I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
> >>Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
> >>web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
> >>and servers and I just get lost.
> >>
> >>Computers are not in same house.
> >>
> >>My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
> >>input.
> >>His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
> >>input.
> >>
> >>He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make
things
> >>easier)
> >>
> >>I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
> >>Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
> >>In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
> >>
> >>Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
> >>
> >>Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
> >>Thanks for the help
> >>Alan

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 6:56:02 PM

This aldere343 according to http://windows.microsoft .com/RemoteAssistance/RA.asp which states "you both must be running Microsoft WindowsXP". It does not say that it must be XP pro.

"Poinky Doinker" wrote:

> Thanks for the help Jeffrey.
> I would be completly lost with all that.
> I'll just drive to his house to work on the computer.
>
> Alan
>
> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
> in message news:tk66g0h7dv5974r07eeht13cld2jm7pmc2@4ax.com...
> > There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
> > Edition...
> >
> > Try considering a product like UltraVNC
> > (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
> > functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
> > <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
> >
> > >I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
> > >Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
> > >web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
> > >and servers and I just get lost.
> > >
> > >Computers are not in same house.
> > >
> > >My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
> > >input.
> > >His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
> > >input.
> > >
> > >He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make
> things
> > >easier)
> > >
> > >I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
> > >Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
> > >In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
> > >
> > >Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
> > >
> > >Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
> > >Thanks for the help
> > >Alan

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:46:15 AM

Actually, it is much easier than it sounds... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:05:42 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"

!