Remote desktop from XP Home to XP Home?

I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
and servers and I just get lost.

Computers are not in same house.

My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
input.
His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
input.

He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make things
easier)

I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?

Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!

Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
Thanks for the help
Alan
6 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop home home

    There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
    Edition...

    Try considering a product like UltraVNC
    (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
    functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
    <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:

    >I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
    >Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
    >web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
    >and servers and I just get lost.
    >
    >Computers are not in same house.
    >
    >My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
    >input.
    >His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
    >input.
    >
    >He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make things
    >easier)
    >
    >I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
    >Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
    >In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
    >
    >Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
    >
    >Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
    >Thanks for the help
    >Alan

    Also, if this is used over the public internet use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run UltraVNC
    through a VPN tunnel...

    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    VNC firewall information...

    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message
    > There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
    > Edition...
    >
    > Try considering a product like UltraVNC
    > (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
    > functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
    > <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
    >>Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
    >>web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
    >>and servers and I just get lost.
    >>
    >>Computers are not in same house.
    >>
    >>My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
    >>input.
    >>His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
    >>input.
    >>
    >>He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make things
    >>easier)
    >>
    >>I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
    >>Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
    >>In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
    >>
    >>Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
    >>
    >>Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
    >>Thanks for the help
    >>Alan

    Thanks for the help Jeffrey.
    I would be completly lost with all that.
    I'll just drive to his house to work on the computer.

    Alan

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:tk66g0h7dv5974r07eeht13cld2jm7pmc2@4ax.com...
    > There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
    > Edition...
    >
    > Try considering a product like UltraVNC
    > (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
    > functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
    > <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
    > >Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
    > >web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
    > >and servers and I just get lost.
    > >
    > >Computers are not in same house.
    > >
    > >My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
    > >input.
    > >His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
    > >input.
    > >
    > >He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make
    things
    > >easier)
    > >
    > >I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
    > >Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
    > >In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
    > >
    > >Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
    > >
    > >Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
    > >Thanks for the help
    > >Alan

    Thanks anyway Al but I'll just go there to do any work.
    Not ready to start installing servers and all that goes with it.

    Alan

    This aldere343 according to http://windows.microsoft .com/RemoteAssistance/RA.asp which states "you both must be running Microsoft WindowsXP". It does not say that it must be XP pro.

    "Poinky Doinker" wrote:

    > Thanks for the help Jeffrey.
    > I would be completly lost with all that.
    > I'll just drive to his house to work on the computer.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    > in message news:tk66g0h7dv5974r07eeht13cld2jm7pmc2@4ax.com...
    > > There is no Remote Desktop "server" component for Windows XP Home
    > > Edition...
    > >
    > > Try considering a product like UltraVNC
    > > (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) which will allow RD-like
    > > functionality on XP Home (and others) machines...
    > >
    > > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >
    > > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > > be answered depending on time availability....
    > >
    > > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >
    > > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:52:31 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
    > > <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I am trying to connect 2 my brothers computer with Remote Desktop.
    > > >Both mine and his computer are XP Home. I have viewed a few
    > > >web pages about this kind of connection but they talk about XP Pro
    > > >and servers and I just get lost.
    > > >
    > > >Computers are not in same house.
    > > >
    > > >My XP Home = cable internet connected direct to cable modem via NIC card
    > > >input.
    > > >His XP Home = cable internet connected through a wireless setup via USB
    > > >input.
    > > >
    > > >He will probably be removing the wireless part soon.(that might make
    > things
    > > >easier)
    > > >
    > > >I entered his IP address to connect to but it never connects.
    > > >Am I missing something? I read something about port forwarding.
    > > >In properties do I enter the name of HIS computer or mine?
    > > >
    > > >Sorry for the newbie questions!!!!
    > > >
    > > >Any other info you guys need for me to get a possible solution?
    > > >Thanks for the help
    > > >Alan

    Actually, it is much easier than it sounds... :)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:05:42 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP