Capture with Premiere is low quality

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

Hello all, I have a Newbie question:

I have been trying to capture video from my Sony camcorder. I want to
use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere is writing out captured files with a
codec that looks very low quality (grainy). I have plenty of hard
drive space, so I just want high quality video. I can't figure out
how to change the codec for captured files (I found many settings that
SHOULD modify the compression, but no matter what I change, the file
is always EXACTLY the same).

I'm not even sure what the codec is that it keeps defaulting to...
upon viewing the AVI file in a text editor, i found the code "DSVD"...
though I'm not sure how that info helps me.

Incidentally, Windows Movie Maker captures the video with FANTASTIC
clarity.
Unfortunately it saves it as WMV, which Premiere can't read(?) Movie
Maker does have an option to save as AVI, which is SUPPOSEDLY
uncompressed... but that looks just as bad as Premiere's attempt!

what am i missing here?

thanks much
dave
11 answers Last reply
More about capture premiere quality
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    If it is coming from a Digital Camcorder you need to capture in DV-NTSC
    48K. Make sure your camera is set to 16 bit sound. When you start Premiere
    it usually asks what you want. You can also change it in Project Settings,
    Capture prior to capturing (DV/IEEE 1394 for firewire).

    Clark

    "Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all, I have a Newbie question:
    >
    > I have been trying to capture video from my Sony camcorder. I want to
    > use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere is writing out captured files with a
    > codec that looks very low quality (grainy). I have plenty of hard
    > drive space, so I just want high quality video. I can't figure out
    > how to change the codec for captured files (I found many settings that
    > SHOULD modify the compression, but no matter what I change, the file
    > is always EXACTLY the same).
    >
    > I'm not even sure what the codec is that it keeps defaulting to...
    > upon viewing the AVI file in a text editor, i found the code "DSVD"...
    > though I'm not sure how that info helps me.
    >
    > Incidentally, Windows Movie Maker captures the video with FANTASTIC
    > clarity.
    > Unfortunately it saves it as WMV, which Premiere can't read(?) Movie
    > Maker does have an option to save as AVI, which is SUPPOSEDLY
    > uncompressed... but that looks just as bad as Premiere's attempt!
    >
    > what am i missing here?
    >
    > thanks much
    > dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    Yes that is the setting I'm using. All I can think of is if the
    "Microsoft DV (NTSC)" compressor is not configured properly... or
    outdated? Isn't there a way to change the compression settings on it?
    The video looks so bad, I can't imagine this is just The Way Things
    Are.

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message news:<pZAkd.26335$Al3.5030@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...
    > If it is coming from a Digital Camcorder you need to capture in DV-NTSC
    > 48K. Make sure your camera is set to 16 bit sound. When you start Premiere
    > it usually asks what you want. You can also change it in Project Settings,
    > Capture prior to capturing (DV/IEEE 1394 for firewire).
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all, I have a Newbie question:
    > >
    > > I have been trying to capture video from my Sony camcorder. I want to
    > > use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere is writing out captured files with a
    > > codec that looks very low quality (grainy). I have plenty of hard
    > > drive space, so I just want high quality video. I can't figure out
    > > how to change the codec for captured files (I found many settings that
    > > SHOULD modify the compression, but no matter what I change, the file
    > > is always EXACTLY the same).
    <clip>
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    Lets say you capture for 1 hour, what is your file size and the file
    extension of your capture.

    > Yes that is the setting I'm using. All I can think of is if the
    > "Microsoft DV (NTSC)" compressor is not configured properly... or
    > outdated? Isn't there a way to change the compression settings on it?
    > The video looks so bad, I can't imagine this is just The Way Things
    > Are.
    >

    > "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    > > If it is coming from a Digital Camcorder you need to capture in DV-NTSC
    > > 48K. Make sure your camera is set to 16 bit sound. When you start
    Premiere
    > > it usually asks what you want. You can also change it in Project
    Settings,
    > > Capture prior to capturing (DV/IEEE 1394 for firewire).
    > >
    > > Clark
    > >
    > > "Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello all, I have a Newbie question:
    > > >
    > > > I have been trying to capture video from my Sony camcorder. I want to
    > > > use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere is writing out captured files with a
    > > > codec that looks very low quality (grainy). I have plenty of hard
    > > > drive space, so I just want high quality video. I can't figure out
    > > > how to change the codec for captured files (I found many settings that
    > > > SHOULD modify the compression, but no matter what I change, the file
    > > > is always EXACTLY the same).
    > <clip>
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    My one minute tests have been coming in at 222MB, so I'd assume a full
    hour would be around 13GB. Doesn't sound heavily compressed, eh? But
    obviously it is or I wouldn't be seeing these blocky artifacts in the
    video -- looks like a moving jpg with the compression set real high...

    The file extensions are AVI.

    "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Z6Ukd.143992$5v2.97664@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
    > Lets say you capture for 1 hour, what is your file size and the file
    > extension of your capture.
    >
    > > > "Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > <clip>

    Hello Dave,

    I had a similar (if not the same) problem when using Pinnacle Systems
    DV500 and Premiere 6.5. The quality of the video was very low when
    viewed on screen.
    But it was only low-quality when viewed on screen. When rendering the
    video with another codec or exporting to tape via FireWire it was full
    DV-quality again.
    I suggest trying to export a video to tape and see if it's the same problem.

    HTH,

    Ingo
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    I could only suggest 2 more things, since it appears the size of you file is
    consistent with the higher quality video. First, does your camcorder
    compress the video prior to you capturing it. You never said how you
    actually captured it (i.e. firewire, Digital tape or Hi8). And secondly,
    make sure all the settings are the same, check the settings viewer and see
    if you show Microsoft DV(NTSC) for Project and Export settings. Near the
    bottom, they should all (including the .avi) say "Uncompressed".

    If you click on the .avi in the Bin it should show it's properties. Namely
    720x480 (0.900) 29.97 fps 48000Hz 16 bit ~3.61 MB per second. If you show
    these properties, you should not be having problems.

    > My one minute tests have been coming in at 222MB, so I'd assume a full
    > hour would be around 13GB. Doesn't sound heavily compressed, eh? But
    > obviously it is or I wouldn't be seeing these blocky artifacts in the
    > video -- looks like a moving jpg with the compression set real high...
    >
    > The file extensions are AVI.
    >

    > "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Lets say you capture for 1 hour, what is your file size and the file
    >> extension of your capture.

    >> > <clip>
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:57:19 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:

    >I could only suggest 2 more things, since it appears the size of you file is
    >consistent with the higher quality video. First, does your camcorder
    >compress the video prior to you capturing it. You never said how you
    >actually captured it (i.e. firewire, Digital tape or Hi8). And secondly,
    >make sure all the settings are the same, check the settings viewer and see
    >if you show Microsoft DV(NTSC) for Project and Export settings. Near the
    >bottom, they should all (including the .avi) say "Uncompressed".
    >
    >If you click on the .avi in the Bin it should show it's properties. Namely
    >720x480 (0.900) 29.97 fps 48000Hz 16 bit ~3.61 MB per second. If you show
    >these properties, you should not be having problems.
    >
    >Clark
    >
    >"Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My one minute tests have been coming in at 222MB, so I'd assume a full
    >> hour would be around 13GB. Doesn't sound heavily compressed, eh? But
    >> obviously it is or I wouldn't be seeing these blocky artifacts in the
    >> video -- looks like a moving jpg with the compression set real high...
    >>
    >> The file extensions are AVI.
    >>

    >> "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Lets say you capture for 1 hour, what is your file size and the file
    >>> extension of your capture.

    Next question, are you previewing the video on the small software
    monitor included with Premiere on the editing interface, or are you
    looking at it on an NTSC monitor connected out of the computer,
    through your camera or deck and onto a real TV monitor or the camera's
    LCD?

    If you're capturing via firewire, it is native DV codec, 5:1.

    Gary
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    > Next question, are you previewing the video on the small software
    > monitor included with Premiere on the editing interface, or are you
    > looking at it on an NTSC monitor connected out of the computer,
    > through your camera or deck and onto a real TV monitor or the camera's
    > LCD?
    >
    > If you're capturing via firewire, it is native DV codec, 5:1.

    I have been viewing it with Windows Media Player, maximized to full
    screen.

    Someone else also wrote that the problem goes away after exporting to
    other media, so I tried burning a DVD... and was surprised to find
    that, indeed, everything is perfect when I play back the DVD (whether
    on the computer or my bigscreen TV).

    So I am happy (thanks to all who advised), but still a little
    curious... Does anyone know why Windows is unable to cleanly decode
    the captured avi file for viewing?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    Don't play it in full screen

    >> Next question, are you previewing the video on the small software
    >> monitor included with Premiere on the editing interface, or are you
    >> looking at it on an NTSC monitor connected out of the computer,
    >> through your camera or deck and onto a real TV monitor or the camera's
    >> LCD?
    >>
    >> If you're capturing via firewire, it is native DV codec, 5:1.
    >

    > I have been viewing it with Windows Media Player, maximized to full
    > screen.
    >
    > Someone else also wrote that the problem goes away after exporting to
    > other media, so I tried burning a DVD... and was surprised to find
    > that, indeed, everything is perfect when I play back the DVD (whether
    > on the computer or my bigscreen TV).
    >
    > So I am happy (thanks to all who advised), but still a little
    > curious... Does anyone know why Windows is unable to cleanly decode
    > the captured avi file for viewing?
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    Capture is the best with SONIC.COM encoder card 500 with DVD Producer !
    "Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    e44ea1ca.0411101843.5aaba838@posting.google.com...
    > Hello all, I have a Newbie question:
    >
    > I have been trying to capture video from my Sony camcorder. I want to
    > use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere is writing out captured files with a
    > codec that looks very low quality (grainy). I have plenty of hard
    > drive space, so I just want high quality video. I can't figure out
    > how to change the codec for captured files (I found many settings that
    > SHOULD modify the compression, but no matter what I change, the file
    > is always EXACTLY the same).
    >
    > I'm not even sure what the codec is that it keeps defaulting to...
    > upon viewing the AVI file in a text editor, i found the code "DSVD"...
    > though I'm not sure how that info helps me.
    >
    > Incidentally, Windows Movie Maker captures the video with FANTASTIC
    > clarity.
    > Unfortunately it saves it as WMV, which Premiere can't read(?) Movie
    > Maker does have an option to save as AVI, which is SUPPOSEDLY
    > uncompressed... but that looks just as bad as Premiere's attempt!
    >
    > what am i missing here?
    >
    > thanks much
    > dave
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

    When starting Premiere choose the DV settings for your video standard.
    Before accepting these settings read the particulars to see what is there.
    For NTSC D1/DV it should read: 720x480 (0.9) 29.97fps, Microsoft DV Codec,
    48kHz stereo audio. Your capture settings should match. Some OHCI cards,
    like the ADS Pyro have the ability to capture using Video for Windows
    settings on-the-fly. Check your settings carefully.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    "jnclair" <jnclair@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Capture is the best with SONIC.COM encoder card 500 with DVD Producer !
    > "Dave Pkz" <davepkz@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > e44ea1ca.0411101843.5aaba838@posting.google.com...
    > > Hello all, I have a Newbie question:
    > >
    > > I have been trying to capture video from my Sony camcorder. I want to
    > > use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere is writing out captured files with a
    > > codec that looks very low quality (grainy). I have plenty of hard
    > > drive space, so I just want high quality video. I can't figure out
    > > how to change the codec for captured files (I found many settings that
    > > SHOULD modify the compression, but no matter what I change, the file
    > > is always EXACTLY the same).
    > >
    > > I'm not even sure what the codec is that it keeps defaulting to...
    > > upon viewing the AVI file in a text editor, i found the code "DSVD"...
    > > though I'm not sure how that info helps me.
    > >
    > > Incidentally, Windows Movie Maker captures the video with FANTASTIC
    > > clarity.
    > > Unfortunately it saves it as WMV, which Premiere can't read(?) Movie
    > > Maker does have an option to save as AVI, which is SUPPOSEDLY
    > > uncompressed... but that looks just as bad as Premiere's attempt!
    > >
    > > what am i missing here?
    > >
    > > thanks much
    > > dave

Tuner Cards Adobe Premiere Video Graphics