Help finding compact tripod?

I'd like to find a tripod that folds down to 9" or less. Similar to this
one: http://www2.sakar.com/modules.php?name=Nav&level=2&row_id=217&start=0.
I'd like it to expand to more than 41" though. That's a lot of bending.
I'm 5'11" and just see it as problematic. I want it mainly for night photos
and to bring while traveling. Big Lots has the one mentioned above for $12.
I'd like to see if I can find something more compact and expands further
before I buy from Big Lots. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett

This seems ideal:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=2723912#description

Apparently small tripods that extend far are very rare.

Brett

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> I'd like to find a tripod that folds down to 9" or less. Similar to this
> one:
> http://www2.sakar.com/modules.php?name=Nav&level=2&row_id=217&start=0. I'd
> like it to expand to more than 41" though. That's a lot of bending. I'm
> 5'11" and just see it as problematic. I want it mainly for night photos
> and to bring while traveling. Big Lots has the one mentioned above for
> $12. I'd like to see if I can find something more compact and expands
> further before I buy from Big Lots. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

And I'll lay odds that it bends and wobbles so much as to make it close
to useless, when fully extended. I'm 6'2 and don't have a great back,
but I use a quite heavy tripod and always keep it as low to the ground
as is possible for the most stability.

Lightness, smallness and portability just doesn't go very well with
solidity. If it is for hiking use, why not use a beanbag, or maybe
start your hunt here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/VEL/VEL.HTM