Newbie: Trying to set up Remote Connection over UK ADSL li..

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Windows XP
July 27, 2004 12:41:55 PM

Hi

I wonder if anyone can walk me through a Remote Connection that I am
trying to set up.

Basically I am trying to administer my 77-y-o father and 13-y-o 1/2
brother's PC which is 120 miles away.

it takes far too much time and effort to go down there every time some
things goes wrong on their PC.

The are running Win XP Pro with a 512k ADSL connection. I am running
Win XP Pro with a 1MB ADSL connection.

Last time I was down there I made sure that the standard firewall was
enabled but also that "Allow Remote Connections" was checked.

It's the same on my PC.

I know my father's PC's IP address. I have been putting those details
in the box marked "Computer" but I may be wrong in doing this.

I know their Usernames (Both in the category 'Administrator' because I
set them up!) and passwords.

I also have problems with the box marked 'Domain as I am unsure what
to put in it - if anything.

IS what I am trying to do possible and how should I go about it.?

At my father's PC there is very little practical technical PC
knowledge or ability lol

Any advice appreciated.

Many Thanks.

David
David Probett
davidprobett@pobox.com

More about : newbie set remote connection adsl

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:41:56 PM

David,

If the firewall is enabled at the remote site then you also need to forward TCP Port 3389 through
the firewall for Remote Desktop to work. Did you do that?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!