RDC Failing from home to work???

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I have been at this for a while and I cannot solve the problem...My desktop at work is a Compaq computer running XP Pro. My Desktop from home is XP Pro. I connect from home to work through a firewall. I am able to pass through the firewall from home to work. I get my work Desktop's login screen but after I put in my username and password the screen hangs for 30 or more seconds and then RDC closes...connection is severed. I view the host connection through my firewall and it shows my home computer connected to my work computer before I try and login...after I attempt to login I see the connection disappear. I am able to connect to other computer within the same network from home. Several other home computers attempted to connect to my work desktop and experienced the same issue...30 second hang and then closes. I can RDC to my work desktop from other computers within the network and login with no problems...outside of the network is where I connect to the the computer but lose the connection after attempting to login (attempted to login with several different usernames with the same results).

I checked my IP address and the DHCP and DNS configurations several times and they are all associated correctly...Can someone help me solve this problem? Any clues???

Thanks...

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Make sure port 3389 is open on your firewall

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Port 3389 is openned. I do not suspect the firewall is the issue since I am making a connection to the remote computer from outside the firewall into the firewall (I get the logon screen and I can view the connection on the firewall's "Host Watch") After I enter my username and password the screen freezes for over 30 seconds and then RDC program along with the connection shutsdown, without any messages (FYI: NVidia Service is not loaded on the remote computer).

"Bob" wrote:

> Make sure port 3389 is open on your firewall

Describe what it does when it closes. Does the window immediately
disappear or is it saying you are logged off? Other usual
alternatives involve seeing a black screen then a disconnect.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:37:02 -0700, "Jake"
<Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Port 3389 is openned. I do not suspect the firewall is the issue since I am making a connection to the remote computer from outside the firewall into the firewall (I get the logon screen and I can view the connection on the firewall's "Host Watch") After I enter my username and password the screen freezes for over 30 seconds and then RDC program along with the connection shutsdown, without any messages (FYI: NVidia Service is not loaded on the remote computer).
>
>"Bob" wrote:
>
>> Make sure port 3389 is open on your firewall

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Window just disappears without warning or reason...enter my login name and password and then enter, 30 plus seconds of frozen screen and then the screen disappears and connection is lost. No error message, nothing. Just closes. Happens the same way when other outside computers attempt to login.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Describe what it does when it closes. Does the window immediately
> disappear or is it saying you are logged off? Other usual
> alternatives involve seeing a black screen then a disconnect.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:37:02 -0700, "Jake"
> <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Port 3389 is openned. I do not suspect the firewall is the issue since I am making a connection to the remote computer from outside the firewall into the firewall (I get the logon screen and I can view the connection on the firewall's "Host Watch") After I enter my username and password the screen freezes for over 30 seconds and then RDC program along with the connection shutsdown, without any messages (FYI: NVidia Service is not loaded on the remote computer).
> >
> >"Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Make sure port 3389 is open on your firewall

If you can get console access to the other machine, check the Event
Log to see if Terminal Services or Remote Desktop logged any issues
(check the System Log).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:37:02 -0700, "Jake"
<Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Window just disappears without warning or reason...enter my login name and password and then enter, 30 plus seconds of frozen screen and then the screen disappears and connection is lost. No error message, nothing. Just closes. Happens the same way when other outside computers attempt to login.
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Describe what it does when it closes. Does the window immediately
>> disappear or is it saying you are logged off? Other usual
>> alternatives involve seeing a black screen then a disconnect.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:37:02 -0700, "Jake"
>> <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Port 3389 is openned. I do not suspect the firewall is the issue since I am making a connection to the remote computer from outside the firewall into the firewall (I get the logon screen and I can view the connection on the firewall's "Host Watch") After I enter my username and password the screen freezes for over 30 seconds and then RDC program along with the connection shutsdown, without any messages (FYI: NVidia Service is not loaded on the remote computer).

Magnus

Did you manage to solve this problem? I beleive I'm experincing the same
problem but have not been able to find a solution.

Regards
Magnus

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> If you can get console access to the other machine, check the Event
> Log to see if Terminal Services or Remote Desktop logged any issues
> (check the System Log).
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:37:02 -0700, "Jake"
> <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Window just disappears without warning or reason...enter my login name and password and then enter, 30 plus seconds of frozen screen and then the screen disappears and connection is lost. No error message, nothing. Just closes. Happens the same way when other outside computers attempt to login.
> >
> >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Describe what it does when it closes. Does the window immediately
> >> disappear or is it saying you are logged off? Other usual
> >> alternatives involve seeing a black screen then a disconnect.
> >>
> >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >>
> >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> >> be answered depending on time availability....
> >>
> >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

One of the reocurring events in the event viewer is that kerberos detected a
PAC verification failure (Event ID 7) followed by a RPC unavailable (Event ID
5719). Another quarky thing about this event is that RDC is successful when
using a dial up connection (instead of comcast cable). Three different
comcast users could not get RDC on my work computer but I could get RDC on my
work computer using a dialup connection...I think I will contact comcast. If
that fails I am leaning towards rebuilding my work computer...yuk!