Digital Camcorder with A/V pass through?

I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with A/V -
RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked very
hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
Sony site and haven't seen this feature. Is it outdated?

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:38:43 GMT, "Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with A/V -
>RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
>digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked very
>hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
>Sony site and haven't seen this feature. Is it outdated?

Quite a few do. Sony's first-tier, lowest price models tend not to
have it, but most of the rest do.

Nottoman said:

>>I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with A/V -
RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked very
hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
Sony site and haven't seen this feature.>>

I don't know if any have USB output, but with firewire it is a pretty common
option, but not available in the cheapest modles. Before I got my last camera,
I cheched the Sony site and had no trouble verifying. Probably called "pass
through", did you look for that function?

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Canon's ZR series all have the digital passthrough feature starting back
with the ZR-80 model. $350 or so.

"Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with
> A/V -
> RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
> digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked
> very
> hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
> Sony site and haven't seen this feature. Is it outdated?

Yes, no results.

"DavesVideo" <davesvideo@aol.com> wrote in message
> Nottoman said:
>
> >>I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with
A/V -
> RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
> digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked
very
> hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
> Sony site and haven't seen this feature.>>
>
> I don't know if any have USB output, but with firewire it is a pretty
common
> option, but not available in the cheapest modles. Before I got my last
camera,
> I cheched the Sony site and had no trouble verifying. Probably called
"pass
> through", did you look for that function?
>

> Dave
> http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

The "old" TRV16E and TRV18E have this feature

"Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with
A/V -
> RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
> digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked
very
> hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
> Sony site and haven't seen this feature. Is it outdated?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

You can also utilise that feature within the Vegas video editing software to
preview direct on the TV set while editing

Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:38:43 GMT, "Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with A/V -
> >RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
> >digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked very
> >hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
> >Sony site and haven't seen this feature. Is it outdated?

The Sony TRV-38 will do digital pass thru and also works with a copy
protected video tape, should you have need to copy one of those. A
lot of camcorders will shutdown if you try to feed it a macrovision
protected tape.

Bill S.

I've had three Sony dvc's, and all of them could do this (TRV-105,
TRV-18, TRV-25).

"ub" <ub@dot.com> wrote in message news:<2kKld.147944$5v2.92023@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
> Canon's ZR series all have the digital passthrough feature starting back
> with the ZR-80 model. $350 or so.

I bought a Canon refurbished ZR-65 from Fry's for $220, it has the
pass-through and works great .but oh what a shitty battery life it has
(which is not a problem for this type of use, as it's plugged in when
I use as pass-through)

STRATEGY

> "Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've heard of digital camcorders that you can connect your VCR to with
> > A/V -
> > RCA inputs and then feed them to your PC via Firewire or USB to capture
> > digitally. Any recommendations for a unit like this? I haven't looked
> > very
> > hard, but have looked at several DigCamcorders and the entire line on the
> > Sony site and haven't seen this feature. Is it outdated?

All of the Sharp VL-Z3U DV camcorders going for $150 on sale beginning
of this year, and <$100-200 on ebay.com today have this feature. Almost
all of the new releases from all companies that aren't the cheapest
available will also have this feature.