Alternative to GoToMyPC?

I can use gotomypc when I am at work to access my home PC, are there
any other cheaper alternatives to this? I have tried VNC, however I
cannot connect (I'm behind a firewall at work)....How can I connect
using GoToMyPC but not with a desktop client like TightVNC?

Is there anything I can do to make this work without paying GoToMyPCs
prices?

Thanks,
Nickolas
7 answers Last reply
More about alternative gotomypc

    Nickolas wrote:
    > I can use gotomypc when I am at work to access my home PC, are there
    > any other cheaper alternatives to this? I have tried VNC, however I
    > cannot connect (I'm behind a firewall at work)....How can I connect
    > using GoToMyPC but not with a desktop client like TightVNC?
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to make this work without paying GoToMyPCs
    > prices?

    If you can connect to your home PC remotely from work with one method, you
    should be able to configure any other method (UltraVNC, Remote Desktop,
    PCAnywhere, etc..) to work as well. UltraVNC and Remote Desktop (if you
    have XP Professional at home) would be your free options. They should be
    able to be configured on your home PC to use whatever ports are opened for
    outgoing/incoming connections at your workplace, getting around the firewall
    quite nicely.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    > If you can connect to your home PC remotely from work with one method, you
    > should be able to configure any other method (UltraVNC, Remote Desktop,
    > PCAnywhere, etc..) to work as well. UltraVNC and Remote Desktop (if you
    > have XP Professional at home) would be your free options. They should be
    > able to be configured on your home PC to use whatever ports are opened for
    > outgoing/incoming connections at your workplace, getting around the firewall
    > quite nicely.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->
    '

    Is there any way to tell what port GoToMyPC was using?

    Nickolas wrote:
    > Is there any way to tell what port GoToMyPC was using?

    It was using 80, 443 and or 8200 - which are open through most firewalls,
    thus why it worked.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:<#eth5oKdEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Shenan wrote:
    > > If you can connect to your home PC remotely from work with one
    > > method, you should be able to configure any other method (UltraVNC,
    > > Remote Desktop, PCAnywhere, etc..) to work as well. UltraVNC and
    > > Remote Desktop (if you have XP Professional at home) would be your
    > > free options. They should be able to be configured on your home PC
    > > to use whatever ports are opened for outgoing/incoming connections
    > > at your workplace, getting around the firewall quite nicely.
    >
    > Nickolas wrote:
    > > Is there any way to tell what port GoToMyPC was using?
    >
    > It was using 80, 443 and or 8200 - which are open through most firewalls,
    > thus why it worked.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    I am not sure but I think most firewalls, especially ones that use NAT
    do not have "port" unless they are specifically configured... I am not
    sure how exactly all firewalls work. There is also the other issue of
    ip addresses, if the ip is assigned via dhcp then who knows what the
    ip is from the other end. I believe what Gotomypc does is use a
    constant connection to a central server (gotomypc.com) to report ip
    address and to create a path through the firewall to the pc...

    stillboy wrote:
    > I am not sure but I think most firewalls, especially ones that use NAT
    > do not have "port" unless they are specifically configured... I am not
    > sure how exactly all firewalls work. There is also the other issue of
    > ip addresses, if the ip is assigned via dhcp then who knows what the
    > ip is from the other end. I believe what Gotomypc does is use a
    > constant connection to a central server (gotomypc.com) to report ip
    > address and to create a path through the firewall to the pc...

    All firewalls (that I know of) allow you to Open Ports, or allow traffic to
    flow through a given port. A non-configurable firewall would pretty much,
    in my opinion, be one out of your control completely... Lke your corporate
    one.

    Most of the DSL/Cable routers these days also allow for port forwarding and
    the likes, too many problems with even common issues like games and remote
    desktop and the likes, so they wouldn't sell any products if they weren't
    configurable like the software NAT products.

    The DHCP issue is worked around boy other free services like DynDNS.org -
    which can assign a name to your IP and when your IP changes, the name
    follows it. Not all Cable/DSL routers will do this, but the better ones
    will allow for entry of this information and even have suggestions (like
    DynDNS.org) of whom to use.

    With Port Forwarding or Configuring a Firewall with open ports, NAT boxes
    (like DSL/Cable routers or free software software) and services like
    DynDNS.org - there is very little reason to pay for a service that is built
    into your Windows XP system or that you can get a substitute for (like
    UltraVNC) as a free thing!

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    If you dont already have remote desktop installed...it comes with xp and it works great....you can download it at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

    "Nickolas" wrote:

    > I can use gotomypc when I am at work to access my home PC, are there
    > any other cheaper alternatives to this? I have tried VNC, however I
    > cannot connect (I'm behind a firewall at work)....How can I connect
    > using GoToMyPC but not with a desktop client like TightVNC?
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to make this work without paying GoToMyPCs
    > prices?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nickolas

    Clarification - Remote Desktop is included and already installed in XP
    Pro.. The download mentioned is client software for other versions of
    Windows...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:25:02 -0700, Flyingfalcon
    <Flyingfalcon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >If you dont already have remote desktop installed...it comes with xp and it works great....you can download it at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
    >
    >"Nickolas" wrote:
    >
    >> I can use gotomypc when I am at work to access my home PC, are there
    >> any other cheaper alternatives to this? I have tried VNC, however I
    >> cannot connect (I'm behind a firewall at work)....How can I connect
    >> using GoToMyPC but not with a desktop client like TightVNC?
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can do to make this work without paying GoToMyPCs
    >> prices?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nickolas

Microsoft Windows XP