JVC GR-D72U capture issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2004 12:17:26 PM

I bought a JVC GR-D72U MiniDV camcorder after reading several reviews
that say it has better video quality than other camcorders in its
price range. But everything I've been able to transfer to my computer
so far has been abysmal.

Playback looks great on the camera's LCD, and it looks okay on the
television via S-video, but captured video on the computer is very
dark. It's also postage-stamp sized; the bundled software captures
320x240 MPEGs, and other WDM capture programs only show it being
capable of a pathetic 160x120 at 15fps, which is what I'd expect from
a $30 toy camera, not a $300 mini-DV one.

Have I been had? Or do I just need better software?

Also, the camera is connected to a USB 2.0 port using the bundled
cable. My computer has Firewire ports but I don't have a cable; would
I get better results if I bought one? Is the $8 6-to-4 Firewire cable
at my local PC Club any different from the $42 DV cable at Best Buy?

TIA.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 5:36:49 PM

Lachoneus wrote:
> I bought a JVC GR-D72U MiniDV camcorder after reading several reviews
> that say it has better video quality than other camcorders in its
> price range. But everything I've been able to transfer to my computer
> so far has been abysmal.
>
> Playback looks great on the camera's LCD, and it looks okay on the
> television via S-video, but captured video on the computer is very
> dark. It's also postage-stamp sized; the bundled software captures
> 320x240 MPEGs, and other WDM capture programs only show it being
> capable of a pathetic 160x120 at 15fps, which is what I'd expect from
> a $30 toy camera, not a $300 mini-DV one.
>
> Have I been had? Or do I just need better software?
>
> Also, the camera is connected to a USB 2.0 port using the bundled
> cable. My computer has Firewire ports but I don't have a cable; would
> I get better results if I bought one? Is the $8 6-to-4 Firewire cable
> at my local PC Club any different from the $42 DV cable at Best Buy?
>
> TIA.

Definitely get a firewire cable and transfer your video this way. The
quality improvement will astound you. No sense wasting your money at Best
Buy. The cheap firewire cable will be just fine.

Mike
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:42:40 AM

> Definitely get a firewire cable and transfer your video this way. The
> quality improvement will astound you. No sense wasting your money at Best
> Buy. The cheap firewire cable will be just fine.

Thanks. I picked one up, and it makes a world of difference. Makes me
wonder why JVC would cripple a $300 camcorder by excluding a 1394 cable
that would cost them maybe 50 cents per unit. I read through the
manual, and while it does mention firewire connectivity, it doesn't
mention the fact that the camera is a worthless toy without it.

Now I need to get a second hard drive... holy cow, raw DV is enormous... :)
November 16, 2004 3:02:24 AM

Lachoneus wrote:
>> Definitely get a firewire cable and transfer your video this way.
>> The quality improvement will astound you. No sense wasting your
>> money at Best Buy. The cheap firewire cable will be just fine.
>
> Thanks. I picked one up, and it makes a world of difference. Makes
> me wonder why JVC would cripple a $300 camcorder by excluding a 1394
> cable that would cost them maybe 50 cents per unit. I read through
> the
> manual, and while it does mention firewire connectivity, it doesn't
> mention the fact that the camera is a worthless toy without it.
>
> Now I need to get a second hard drive... holy cow, raw DV is
> enormous... :)

I have yet to see a camcorder that has a firewire cable bundled with it.
USB? Sure. But, as you found out, it's pretty much useless for video :-(

DV is 13 GB/hr. Get at least a 200GB drive as you'll need it. Fortunately
drives are very cheap these days.

Mike
November 16, 2004 4:59:13 PM

Keep in mind that most PCs don't have a firewire card in them, and
that a large percentage of users never d/l video to their computer....
So, a 50cent cost multiplied by how many units they sell adds up to
considerable extra expense.
Buster

<snip>

!