More on Formatting of mem. Cards

Recently I posted a request for info. on the pros & cons of
Formatting/Reformatting
Dig.Cam. Memory cards. I was amazed at all the different answers I got.
Indicating there is a lot of confusion out there amongst us concerning this
issue.
I decided to go to the Horses mouth on this one, and the URL below has a
great article on the subject which should clear up a lot of
questions...enjoy...
Look for the June 1st. 2001 Newsletter

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/index-arch.html

In article <Bv%_d.727514$6l.585808@pd7tw2no>, Yoonome
<Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> wrote:

> Look for the June 1st. 2001 Newsletter

Executive summary:

1. Don't format if you still have unsaved data on the card. (O;
2. Don't format in any device OTHER than the 'taking' device, in this
case, your camera.
3. The life of a typical memory card is such that the extra writes from
a periodic re-format are not significant. Other factors like
mishandling are far, far more likely to cause a card failure.
4. A re-format will ensure that the card is readable, and that at least
all the FAT entries are OK at the time of the format. It also ensures
that the card is written to the FAT specs of the camera in question.
5. Periodic re-formatting will give a good chance of finding a card
error BEFORE that error causes a loss of data.

The only proviso I can think of is to always check both your camera
manual, and your card manual, to ensure that there is no other reason
why you should not format the card in camera. My advice would be,
having checked those manuals!, to always format the card at time of
purchase - if there is a problem you can take it back immediately..
Thenceforth, maybe one format every six months or so - sooner if you
are the cautious type..

Happy to be corrected, but please post supporting links...

(O;

You did. Sorry, I wasn't clear.. I was just trying to pre-empt the
folk who post an opinion without any supporting information.

I think we have had plenty of mis-information already, on this topic...

I thought I had included the supporting link Addy in my post...
Sorry about that...Here it is now...

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> Executive summary:
>
> 1. Don't format if you still have unsaved data on the card. (O;
> 2. Don't format in any device OTHER than the 'taking' device, in this
> case, your camera.
> 3. The life of a typical memory card is such that the extra writes from
> a periodic re-format are not significant. Other factors like
> mishandling are far, far more likely to cause a card failure.
> 4. A re-format will ensure that the card is readable, and that at least
> all the FAT entries are OK at the time of the format. It also ensures
> that the card is written to the FAT specs of the camera in question.
> 5. Periodic re-formatting will give a good chance of finding a card
> error BEFORE that error causes a loss of data.
>
> The only proviso I can think of is to always check both your camera
> manual, and your card manual, to ensure that there is no other reason
> why you should not format the card in camera. My advice would be,
> having checked those manuals!, to always format the card at time of
> purchase - if there is a problem you can take it back immediately..
> Thenceforth, maybe one format every six months or so - sooner if you
> are the cautious type..
>
> Happy to be corrected, but please post supporting links...

Well you can certainly say that again,
Unfortunately, some peoples mouths seem to kick in
before their brains do...
So I think now we are on to the facts here...

> (O;
>
> You did. Sorry, I wasn't clear.. I was just trying to pre-empt the
> folk who post an opinion without any supporting information.
>
> I think we have had plenty of mis-information already, on this topic...

Have you heard the old saying, "A fact is an illusion in the eye of the
beholder?"

RCN
"Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> wrote in message
> Well you can certainly say that again,
> Unfortunately, some peoples mouths seem to kick in
> before their brains do...
> So I think now we are on to the facts here...
> <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
>> (O;
>>
>> You did. Sorry, I wasn't clear.. I was just trying to pre-empt the
>> folk who post an opinion without any supporting information.
>>
>> I think we have had plenty of mis-information already, on this topic...

And another related one:

The plural of 'anecdote' is NOT data.

Yoonome wrote:
> Recently I posted a request for info. on the pros & cons of
> Formatting/Reformatting
> Dig.Cam. Memory cards.

The information is very similar to old advice on floppy usage - it's always
better to format in the machine you're using to do the copying rather than
pre-format a batch in a different machine. Same goes for audio or video
tape, quality is better if recording and playback are on the same machine.
Logical.

And it would be logical IMHO to reformat in the camera before taking an
important set of pictures.