New Sony HDTV Camcorder question

Hi,

That new Sony 3 chip camcorder claims resolution of 1440 x 1080.

I thought HDTV (At least what I see on the HDTV channels on my Hi Def TV)
was 1920 x 1080.

Is there a noticeable difference between 1920x1080 and 1440 x 1080?

Tia,

Jeff
4 answers Last reply
More about sony hdtv camcorder question

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > That new Sony 3 chip camcorder claims resolution of 1440 x 1080.
    >
    > I thought HDTV (At least what I see on the HDTV channels on my Hi Def
    > TV) was 1920 x 1080.

    The main problem is that there are 18 different "standards" for digital
    television (which the HDTV spec is a part of). More info at
    http://www.digitaltelevision.com/publish/dtvbook/appendixa.shtml#standards
    1920 x 1080 is at the high end of the scale.

    > Is there a noticeable difference between 1920x1080 and 1440 x 1080?

    You'd have to judge that for yourself.
    The article at
    http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=29075 seems to
    think it looks pretty good.

    Mike

    In article <7oOdnUVkP5_mjAXcRVn-vQ@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > That new Sony 3 chip camcorder claims resolution of 1440 x 1080.
    >
    > I thought HDTV (At least what I see on the HDTV channels on my Hi Def TV)
    > was 1920 x 1080.
    >
    > Is there a noticeable difference between 1920x1080 and 1440 x 1080?
    >
    > Tia,
    >
    > Jeff

    You're confusing HDTV and HDV, the new "consumer" high definition video
    standard.

    HDV is high-def, but it's a limited form when compared to the BIG HD
    cameras that cost big bucks.

    It' uses MPEG2 compression to squeeze about 4 times more data on a
    standard DV tape.

    JVC's implementation is a 720 line progressive picture.

    Sony's is a 1080 line interlaced picture.

    Both have about 4 times more detail than a standard definition
    television signal, but NOT as much detail as the high definition signals
    generate by the big boys with the mega thousand dollar gear.

    HDV enables the under $4,000 "high def" camcorders that are starting to
    appear.

    In short, HDV is high definition - but not as high definition as is
    possible.

    I suspect it will be a HUGE success, because of the price point and
    because the computer folks are already figuring out how to make their
    NLE offerings scalable so that HDV can be EDITED on a robust but stock
    NLE system pretty easily and affordably.

    Two things that are clearly holding back REAL HD production today.

    While 1080i is an actual spec, it has been said that NOBODY is broadcasting
    true 1080i material. They are all broadcasting at some weird resolution
    similar to 1440x1080. While the simple math indicates 1440x1080 is a 4:3
    resolution, they can still broadcast it in such a way that the video ends up
    being 16:9 (as all HD material is). I think basically the pixels aren't
    square.

    The resolution of the Sony cam is still so much higher than NTSC video, it
    will look incredible. Think about it, NTSC is approx 640x480 which is like
    1/3 a megapixel (307,200) . 1440x1080 is 1.5megapixels, 5X the resolution
    of NTSC. I too think the Sony cam will be a huge success, I would love to
    have one but I use my current miniDV cam so little I really can't even
    justify the $300 I spent on it.

    --Dan

    "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > That new Sony 3 chip camcorder claims resolution of 1440 x 1080.
    >
    > I thought HDTV (At least what I see on the HDTV channels on my Hi Def TV)
    > was 1920 x 1080.
    >
    > Is there a noticeable difference between 1920x1080 and 1440 x 1080?
    >
    > Tia,
    >
    > Jeff

  4. ITS ALL ABOUT THE4 BUX. I WORKED IN BDCST TV FOR 30 YEARS.
    THE CODEC ....DEVICE THAT COMPRESSES WHAT STARTS AT 1080ix1920
    A CHEAP CAMERA WILL USE ONE CHIP LESS THEN 1/3 DIA. PRO-CAMERAS LENSES COST $4000 OR MORE, THE LENSE HHAS A 2/3DIA. BY THE TIME YOU SEE IT.......IT HAS 1080 INTERACED SCAN LINES. REG DEF HSD 525.
    YOU CAN ONLY CRAM SO MUCH ON A MINIDV TAPE.

    THE EDITORS AT THE STATION WILL EDIT USING A PIXEL RATIO OF 1.3.
    THE 1440 IS 3x THE RESOUTION OF AN OLD tv. OFF AIR IN LOW DEF WAS 500 LINES MAX.

    YOU DO GET A BETTER PICTURE FOR PRO-HOBBY USE. THE OTHER EXTREME IS FORCING 1920 LINES THHRU A $800 CAMERA......THE CAMERA SENSOR IS SET FOR 1920. AFTER GOING THRU THE CHEAP LENSE AND DIGITAL TRICKS, 1920 WILL LOOK NO BETTER OR WORSE.

    THE $6000 CAMERA'S CAN LOOK ALMOST AS GOOD AS A $30,000 3 CHIP
    TV CAMERA.

    UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING AT A $5000 30' PRO/BROADCAST MONITOR...AFTER IT HITS THE TRANSMITTER OR SATTELIGHT, YOU WLL BE LUCKLY TO GET 1400 LINES..

    THE $6000 MINIDV DOES MUCH COMPLEX MATH AND LEAVES OUT DETAILS, YOU CANNOT SEE IN REAL LIFE

    THE CHEAP 1 CHIP TO MEMORY CHIP CAMERAS THAT SELL FOR $600 WILL NOT HAVE THHE COLOR PURITY OF A 3 CHIP.

    THE WHOLE IDEA IS TO GO GREEN WITH TV PRODUCTION. FILM IS EXPENSIVE AND HAS LOTS OF CHEMICAL WASTE.

    SO HDTV CAN LOOK AS GOOD AS 16MM OR SUPER 16 BLOWN UP TO 35MM.
    ONLY TOP NOTCH BROADCASTERS CAMERAS,, EDITING WITH NO COMPRESION WILL LOOK AS GREAT.
    HOWEVER THIS IS A GREAT AGE FOR THE INDY!!!!! GOOD LIGHTING CAN MMAKE SVHS LOOK GOOD.

    BEST CONSUMERA CAMS RECORD TOO HDV. A SINGLE CHIP CAMERA IS A JOKE!!!!

    MY EYES ARE USED TO GRREAT V VIDEO.. INDYS SHOT IN MMINIDV WHEN IT CAME OUT IN THE EALRLY 90'S. I WILL TAKKE HDV OVER 3/4'' 1 INCH AND OTHER OLD TV FORMATS.

    DR CHROMA :non: :bounce:

Tuner Cards Sony HDTV Camcorders Graphics Product