Need recommendation for camera for closeup work

I have been using Sony DCR-PC100 in still mode for taking pictures
of circuit boards and components.

I wanted to get digital camera with higher resolution and more
storage capacity, with a high zoom ratio, so I got a
Fujifilm FinePix S5100,
which has 4 (or 4/3) megapixels. The camera works reasonably well
in general, but it good for close focusing or manual focusing.

It also doesn't seem to be able to allow exposure compensation
in AUTO. I.e., I can't tell it I like a picture to be lighter
or darker unless I also give up some of the automation.

Therefore, I am once again in the market for a camera:
. 4 (i.e., 4/3) megapixels or more
. 8x zoom or more
. takes 512 MB or more memory thingies
. good manual focus control
. storage of raw images or lossless compression
. a way of telling the camera that it can do whatever
it would do full auto mode, except increase or
or decrease the exposure by some amount.
. should take polarizing filter so that I can get rid
of reflections.
. the bigger the available memory thingies the better.

I expect the price will be in the $500 to $1000 range excluding
memory thingies.

More about need recommendation camera closeup work

    adjust your ev rating, or choose autobracket and do a +/- 1 or 1.5 ev
    on the brackets

    Mark Fineman <mark.s.fineman@verizon.net> wrote:
    >I have been using Sony DCR-PC100 in still mode for taking pictures
    >of circuit boards and components.
    >
    >I wanted to get digital camera with higher resolution and more
    >storage capacity, with a high zoom ratio, so I got a
    > Fujifilm FinePix S5100,
    >which has 4 (or 4/3) megapixels. The camera works reasonably well
    >in general, but it good for close focusing or manual focusing.
    >
    >It also doesn't seem to be able to allow exposure compensation
    >in AUTO. I.e., I can't tell it I like a picture to be lighter
    >or darker unless I also give up some of the automation.
    >
    >Therefore, I am once again in the market for a camera:
    > . 4 (i.e., 4/3) megapixels or more
    > . 8x zoom or more
    > . takes 512 MB or more memory thingies
    > . good manual focus control
    > . storage of raw images or lossless compression
    > . a way of telling the camera that it can do whatever
    > it would do full auto mode, except increase or
    > or decrease the exposure by some amount.
    > . should take polarizing filter so that I can get rid
    > of reflections.
    > . the bigger the available memory thingies the better.
    >
    >I expect the price will be in the $500 to $1000 range excluding
    >memory thingies.

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    Pentax Optio line focuses to 0.5 inches from the lens.

    "Mark Fineman" <mark.s.fineman@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I have been using Sony DCR-PC100 in still mode for taking pictures
    > of circuit boards and components.
    >
    > I wanted to get digital camera with higher resolution and more
    > storage capacity, with a high zoom ratio, so I got a
    > Fujifilm FinePix S5100,
    > which has 4 (or 4/3) megapixels. The camera works reasonably well
    > in general, but it good for close focusing or manual focusing.
    >
    > It also doesn't seem to be able to allow exposure compensation
    > in AUTO. I.e., I can't tell it I like a picture to be lighter
    > or darker unless I also give up some of the automation.
    >
    > Therefore, I am once again in the market for a camera:
    > . 4 (i.e., 4/3) megapixels or more
    > . 8x zoom or more
    > . takes 512 MB or more memory thingies
    > . good manual focus control
    > . storage of raw images or lossless compression
    > . a way of telling the camera that it can do whatever
    > it would do full auto mode, except increase or
    > or decrease the exposure by some amount.
    > . should take polarizing filter so that I can get rid
    > of reflections.
    > . the bigger the available memory thingies the better.
    >
    > I expect the price will be in the $500 to $1000 range excluding
    > memory thingies.

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =----

    Mark Fineman wrote:
    > ...in the market for a camera:
    > . 4 (i.e., 4/3) megapixels or more
    > . 8x zoom or more
    > . takes 512 MB or more memory thingies
    > . good manual focus control
    > . storage of raw images or lossless compression
    > . a way of telling the camera that it can do whatever
    > it would do full auto mode, except increase or
    > or decrease the exposure by some amount.
    > . should take polarizing filter so that I can get rid
    > of reflections.
    > . the bigger the available memory thingies the better.
    > ...in the $500 to $1000 range

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/
    It satisfies all your requirements.

    In fact, your requirements are quite prosaic. There are many that fit the
    bill but I'd recommend this camera because it has attracted a string of
    awards. I have yet to come across a comparative review
    where this model did not come top. The latest accolade is from the
    respected and trusted PCMagazine: it was awarded, together with its sister
    model FZ15, the "Editor's Choice". The jewel in the crown is of course the
    Leica lens, to which there is still *no* answer from the traditional big
    camera houses, viz. Nikon and Canon. It looks like this is going to be a
    re-run of the story of the Trinitron tube from the early 1970s pushing the
    then run-of-the-mill Sony into the giant conglomerate it is today.
    (Panasonic -- or National in Japan -- is very big but not in camera)

    To satisfy your curiosity, you may like to play around with the filter here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    --
    Lin Chung.
    [The Water Margins of Liang Shan Po were at the time of the Sung dynasty.

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:35:03 -0500, Mark Fineman wrote:

    >I have been using Sony DCR-PC100 in still mode for taking pictures
    >of circuit boards and components.
    >
    >I wanted to get digital camera with higher resolution and more
    >storage capacity, with a high zoom ratio, so I got a
    > Fujifilm FinePix S5100,
    >which has 4 (or 4/3) megapixels. The camera works reasonably well
    >in general, but it good for close focusing or manual focusing.
    >
    >It also doesn't seem to be able to allow exposure compensation
    >in AUTO. I.e., I can't tell it I like a picture to be lighter
    >or darker unless I also give up some of the automation.

    Doesn't it have a semi-automatic mode like P allowing for such
    compensations? P mode is pretty much AUTO with some possibilities of
    adjusting ISO, WB, etc - at least on my Canon PowerShot A60.

    Auto /is/ really Auto and it may or may not be correct for your
    subjects (i.e. circuit boards and components) - You have the
    possibility of manual modes (P/S/A/M) and could really utilize them
    to your advantage and/or manually bracket your shots - ± 2 EV in 0.3
    EV increments is possible according to the reviews...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Olympus C-70

    "Rolf Egil Sølvik" <rolfegil@c2i.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:35:03 -0500, Mark Fineman wrote:
    >
    > >I have been using Sony DCR-PC100 in still mode for taking pictures
    > >of circuit boards and components.
    > >
    > >I wanted to get digital camera with higher resolution and more
    > >storage capacity, with a high zoom ratio, so I got a
    > > Fujifilm FinePix S5100,
    > >which has 4 (or 4/3) megapixels. The camera works reasonably well
    > >in general, but it good for close focusing or manual focusing.
    > >
    > >It also doesn't seem to be able to allow exposure compensation
    > >in AUTO. I.e., I can't tell it I like a picture to be lighter
    > >or darker unless I also give up some of the automation.
    >
    > Doesn't it have a semi-automatic mode like P allowing for such
    > compensations? P mode is pretty much AUTO with some possibilities of
    > adjusting ISO, WB, etc - at least on my Canon PowerShot A60.
    >
    > Auto /is/ really Auto and it may or may not be correct for your
    > subjects (i.e. circuit boards and components) - You have the
    > possibility of manual modes (P/S/A/M) and could really utilize them
    > to your advantage and/or manually bracket your shots - ± 2 EV in 0.3
    > EV increments is possible according to the reviews...

Cameras Peripherals Product