Sign in with
Your question

How to add a additional hd with Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2011 11:39:11 PM

Hello

I have a Dell XPS 420 with Q6600 cpu. It came with Japanese Vista. I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put English Windows 7 on it. How do I do that?

I do no have the original install disk for the computer.

Help please

More about : add additional windows

a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 3:31:31 AM

Hello g335;
Are you using an upgrade version of Win7?
You can just install Windows 7 on the new/2nd hard disk drive. Win7 should see Vista on the 1st HDD to qualify for the upgrade.
WinVista and Win7 use the same bootloader so its a simple process.

If you want to change the boot order use the handy EasyBCD bootloader utility program.
EasyBCD download: http://download.cnet.com/EasyBCD/3000-2094_4-10556865.h...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 3:41:04 AM

As long as you have Vista disk attached at instalation of W7 you won't need the disk.
Now you have 2 options here depending on whether you wish to keep the Japanese version.
To keep it install W7 by booting the W7 disk and choose custom install and direct it to the second drive.
To get rid of it, boot the W7 disk but this time use the disk tools in W7 to do quick format and install it on that drive.
Keep in mind that if you chhose to install to the second drive while Vista is connected, you will not be able to just remove the Vista drive as the bootloader will be installed on it.
You would then need additional help to recover W7 after the removal of Vista.
These instructions are based on the assumption you are getting the upgrade version.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2011 3:51:01 AM

Jonmor68 said:
As long as you have Vista disk attached at instalation of W7 you won't need the disk.
Now you have 2 options here depending on whether you wish to keep the Japanese version.
To keep it install W7 by booting the W7 disk and choose custom install and direct it to the second drive.
To get rid of it, boot the W7 disk but this time use the disk tools in W7 to do quick format and install it on that drive.
Keep in mind that if you chhose to install to the second drive while Vista is connected, you will not be able to just remove the Vista drive as the bootloader will be installed on it.
You would then need additional help to recover W7 after the removal of Vista.
These instructions are based on the assumption you are getting the upgrade version.

Basically I install the 2nd hd and than log into Vista and follow the procedures above?

What if I buy the full version?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 3:57:09 AM

If you buy the full retail version the easy way would be to disconnect the power and data cables of the 1st/older drive.
With the 2nd/newer drive connected to power and data cables just install Win7 on the new disk.

What do you plan to do with the 1st/older drive once you have Win 7 installed?
m
l
January 4, 2011 4:40:21 AM

WR2 said:
If you buy the full retail version the easy way would be to disconnect the power and data cables of the 1st/older drive.
With the 2nd/newer drive connected to power and data cables just install Win7 on the new disk.

What do you plan to do with the 1st/older drive once you have Win 7 installed?

Keep it. I want to use both drives. Use the Japanese one when I need to access Japanese software and programs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 7:09:49 PM

good-luck sounds cool..
m
l
!