Remote control setup

I am trying to use remote control between two systems running XP Pro. I can see the system I am trying to control in my messenger window and click on "ask for remoter assisstance". The request for remote assistance is displayed on the remote computer. I accept the request. This is echoed back to the requesting computer. Looks like all the handshaking is ok but I do not get a button to take control of the requesting system. Oh I get the message that the email addresses are not verified. Would this have anything to do with my problem? I also get the message to check the email addresses and respond to verify the email address but I never get the email sent to the controlling email addresses.

HELP and a zillion thanks.
John in Austin

In message <003132C7-8DF9-440B-B2C3-6B3B76421180@microsoft.com>,
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBT?= <to_john@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use remote control between two systems running XP Pro. I
can see the system I am trying to control in my messenger window and click
on "ask for remoter assisstance". The request for remote assistance is
displayed on the remote computer. I accept the request. This is echoed back
to the requesting computer. Looks like all the handshaking is ok but I do
not get a button to take control of the requesting system. Oh I get the message
that the email addresses are not verified. Would this have anything to do
with my problem? I also get the message to check the email addresses and
respond to verify the email address but I never get the email sent to the
controlling email addresses.

> HELP and a zillion thanks.
> John in Austin

The Novice, ie. the person initiating the RA invitation, has to give the Expert
permission to both view & take control of the Novice desktop. It possible
there is a Group Policy that may block the Expert from taking control. I will
have to research that later...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

The "Solicited Remote Assistance" group policy, if *enabled* can be configured to only allow the
Expert to view and *not* control a PC. Maybe that policy is enabled on the PC your having problems
trying to take control of... Go to "Start -> Run" and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate
to the "Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
Remote Assistance" and check the configuration of the "Solicited Remote Assistance" policy.

--

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> The "Solicited Remote Assistance" group policy, if *enabled* can be configured to only allow the
> Expert to view and *not* control a PC. Maybe that policy is enabled on the PC your having problems
> trying to take control of... Go to "Start -> Run" and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate
> to the "Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
> Remote Assistance" and check the configuration of the "Solicited Remote Assistance" policy.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@Somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > In message <003132C7-8DF9-440B-B2C3-6B3B76421180@microsoft.com>,
> > =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBT?= <to_john@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am trying to use remote control between two systems running XP Pro. I
> > can see the system I am trying to control in my messenger window and click
> > on "ask for remoter assisstance". The request for remote assistance is
> > displayed on the remote computer. I accept the request. This is echoed back
> > to the requesting computer. Looks like all the handshaking is ok but I do
> > not get a button to take control of the requesting system. Oh I get the message
> > that the email addresses are not verified. Would this have anything to do
> > with my problem? I also get the message to check the email addresses and
> > respond to verify the email address but I never get the email sent to the
> > controlling email addresses.
> >>
> >> HELP and a zillion thanks.
> >> John in Austin
> >
> > The Novice, ie. the person initiating the RA invitation, has to give the Expert
> > permission to both view & take control of the Novice desktop. It possible
> > there is a Group Policy that may block the Expert from taking control. I will
> > have to research that later...
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > --
> > Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
> > Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
> >

> I checked the group policy and this was the problem on one of the systems (my desktop) and when I went to check it on my laptop I received an error saying the command was not found. I will try it on another desktop to see if it works. I am trying it locally before I attempt the remote control with a user in another city.
Thanks for the assistance.
John in Austin

John in Austin

"John S" wrote:

> --
> John in Austin

I tried the gpedit.msc on one system and found it and modified it. On my other sysem which is a Toshiba laptop running XP Home that command is not there. Checking futher this is not available to the Home edition. I'll now try remote control between two system that I know are running XP Pro.

Thanks for the help and assistance.
John in Austin

> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
> > The "Solicited Remote Assistance" group policy, if *enabled* can be configured to only allow the
> > Expert to view and *not* control a PC. Maybe that policy is enabled on the PC your having problems
> > trying to take control of... Go to "Start -> Run" and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate
> > to the "Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
> > Remote Assistance" and check the configuration of the "Solicited Remote Assistance" policy.
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >
> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@Somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

> > > can see the system I am trying to control in my messenger window and click
> > > on "ask for remoter assisstance". The request for remote assistance is
> > > displayed on the remote computer. I accept the request. This is echoed back
> > > to the requesting computer. Looks like all the handshaking is ok but I do
> > > not get a button to take control of the requesting system. Oh I get the message
> > > that the email addresses are not verified. Would this have anything to do
> > > with my problem? I also get the message to check the email addresses and
> > > respond to verify the email address but I never get the email sent to the
> > > controlling email addresses.

> > > The Novice, ie. the person initiating the RA invitation, has to give the Expert
> > > permission to both view & take control of the Novice desktop. It possible
> > > there is a Group Policy that may block the Expert from taking control. I will
> > > have to research that later...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
> > > Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
> > >

> > I checked the group policy and this was the problem on one of the systems (my desktop) and when I went to check it on my laptop I received an error saying the command was not found. I will try it on another desktop to see if it works. I am trying it locally before I attempt the remote control with a user in another city.
> Thanks for the assistance.
> John in Austin

For an XP Home Edition, using something like UltaVNC
(http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) will give you an experience similar
(a bit slower, though) to Remote Desktop...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com