Asus P4R800-V Deluxe warning

keith

This morning my dog woke me up barking furiously at the living room. I
thought I heard something funny, then I realized there was smoke
*pouring* out of my HTPC case. My smoke detector never did go off.

There's a hole in the motherboard near the rear panel. I need to clean
it off to tell what happened...my formerly nice case is a mess but looks
ok outside. Dawn detergent removed most of the melted plexiglass from
underneath where the motherboard was mounted. It looks like the
functional damage was isolated to the motherboard but the PS is smelling
bad so it needs to be replaced too just to be safe.

Has anyone heard of similar problems with this motherboard? I'm
wondering if I should tempt fate by having Asus replace it with anther
one since it's still under warranty.

Lazarus

Sounds to me like a dodgy PSU not necessarily a dodgy board!