Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Software for temporal interpolation - anything better than..

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:53:52 PM

Hi,

I've been using MotionPerfect from DynaPel / Gooder Video to "enhance"
some video clips I took under difficult circumstances using a Canon
digital still camera.

The camera produces 320x240 MJPEGs at 15fps which, as you can imagine,
look awful. They're flickery enough at 15fps, but burning them to a
PAL DVD makes movement look even more jumpy because of the non-integer
frame rate change.

MotionPerfect (slow and buggy as it is) interpolates the motion very
nicely some of the time, producing very pleasing results. However,
where ever something moves against a patterned or textured background,
the stationary background is "dragged" by whatever moves in front of
it. It's quite obvious, and very disconcerting when (say) someone
moves their hand in front of their face. Great for a horror movie, but
not what I'm looking for!

You can see the same effect on 100Hz Sony TV sets or Philips TV sets
with "digital natural motion", but it's not as bad - probably because
they're starting from 24fps rather than 15fps.

So, what are the alternatives for converting my footage? Are there any
affordable alternatives to MotionPerfect? What about money no object
alternatives? They're not an option, but it would be interesting to
know what's out there and what the pros would/could use.

Cheers,
David.

More about : software temporal interpolation

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:29:13 AM

davidrobinson@postmaster.co.uk (David Robinson) wrote in message news:<cd71db10.0411150953.7a596ea9@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I've been using MotionPerfect from DynaPel / Gooder Video to "enhance"
> some video clips I took under difficult circumstances using a Canon
> digital still camera.
>
> The camera produces 320x240 MJPEGs at 15fps which, as you can imagine,
> look awful. They're flickery enough at 15fps, but burning them to a
> PAL DVD makes movement look even more jumpy because of the non-integer
> frame rate change.
>
> MotionPerfect (slow and buggy as it is) interpolates the motion very
> nicely some of the time, producing very pleasing results. However,
> where ever something moves against a patterned or textured background,
> the stationary background is "dragged" by whatever moves in front of
> it. It's quite obvious, and very disconcerting when (say) someone
> moves their hand in front of their face. Great for a horror movie, but
> not what I'm looking for!
>
> You can see the same effect on 100Hz Sony TV sets or Philips TV sets
> with "digital natural motion", but it's not as bad - probably because
> they're starting from 24fps rather than 15fps.
>
> So, what are the alternatives for converting my footage? Are there any
> affordable alternatives to MotionPerfect? What about money no object
> alternatives? They're not an option, but it would be interesting to
> know what's out there and what the pros would/could use.

No answers then? Or did GoogleGroups just miss them?

I can't believe no one else has tried this!

Cheers,
David.