WU and Remote Reboot

July 31, 2004 2:15:02 PM

Hi, :)

Today WU's came down to three P/C'.
I was surprised as it was the cummitive rollup for OE sp1, which I seem to remember get about 3 times now for each p/c?
And at this late pre SP2 date, didn't make sence.

I happen to be on one P/C this morning and saw the update waiting so I installed it. No problem.
I use this P/C to remote login to the P/C connected to the net.
There was the WU update waiting so I installed it and rebooted by saying YES.
It sutdown and the connection closed.
I wait about 3 mintes and tried to connect.
It was stll not available (This usually only take 2 minutes).
Tried evry 30 seconds an finally connected only to find a new profile with all the defaults and bubbles as if I were a new user. I disconnected and when over to the other P/C to see what was going on.
The change was such a contrast it took me a while to think about what to do, so I shutdown as my Firewall was not showing it's tray icon.

Later when I had my head ready to deal I started to P/C and everything was fine.
I looked in event and it had 4 messages about the registery (i assume the remote and local were arguing about ownership) and it said it had build a temp profile (which I did see and all the orginal was under that profile).
And a message that said it would attempt to reload the backup profile on reboot.
Which it did and the temp profile was gone and the org profile was back in order.

My question is:

Was this a fluke or is there a bug doing Wu on remote with reboot?
Coz if there is, it is a serious problem.

SJ

More about : remote reboot

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:13:50 PM

Hi - this is a 'remote access' group - best to post Windows Update questions
to microsoft.public.windowsupdate.

Do not disable your firewall - you don't need to, and you shouldn't ever
connect to the Internet without a firewall protecting your computer.

SlowJet wrote:
> Hi, :)
>
> Today WU's came down to three P/C'.
> I was surprised as it was the cummitive rollup for OE sp1, which I
> seem to remember get about 3 times now for each p/c? And at this late
> pre SP2 date, didn't make sence.
>
> I happen to be on one P/C this morning and saw the update waiting so
> I installed it. No problem. I use this P/C to remote login to the P/C
> connected to the net. There was the WU update waiting so I installed
> it and rebooted by saying YES. It sutdown and the connection closed.
> I wait about 3 mintes and tried to connect.
> It was stll not available (This usually only take 2 minutes).
> Tried evry 30 seconds an finally connected only to find a new profile
> with all the defaults and bubbles as if I were a new user. I
> disconnected and when over to the other P/C to see what was going on.
> The change was such a contrast it took me a while to think about what
> to do, so I shutdown as my Firewall was not showing it's tray icon.
>
> Later when I had my head ready to deal I started to P/C and
> everything was fine. I looked in event and it had 4 messages about
> the registery (i assume the remote and local were arguing about
> ownership) and it said it had build a temp profile (which I did see
> and all the orginal was under that profile). And a message that said
> it would attempt to reload the backup profile on reboot. Which it did
> and the temp profile was gone and the org profile was back in order.
>
> My question is:
>
> Was this a fluke or is there a bug doing Wu on remote with reboot?
> Coz if there is, it is a serious problem.
>
> SJ
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:53:02 PM

Aw yes, the old sluff and tut-tut reply. :)

I am pretty sure it’s a remote assess question and a possibly a multi-part interaction problem.

The Wu ran fine in all three cases, but the one re-booted from remote got the profile error. The firewall was up but running as a service and could not communicate to the desktop because of the new profile.

I can't repeat it at this this time but it is important.

SJ

I wonder how moot is doing?
Hang in there moot. :)

I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
Go away
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
I don’t know.
Go away

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Hi - this is a 'remote access' group - best to post Windows Update questions
> to microsoft.public.windowsupdate.
>
> Do not disable your firewall - you don't need to, and you shouldn't ever
> connect to the Internet without a firewall protecting your computer.
>
> SlowJet wrote:
> > Hi, :)
> >
> > Today WU's came down to three P/C'.
> > I was surprised as it was the cummitive rollup for OE sp1, which I
> > seem to remember get about 3 times now for each p/c? And at this late
> > pre SP2 date, didn't make sence.
> >
> > I happen to be on one P/C this morning and saw the update waiting so
> > I installed it. No problem. I use this P/C to remote login to the P/C
> > connected to the net. There was the WU update waiting so I installed
> > it and rebooted by saying YES. It sutdown and the connection closed.
> > I wait about 3 mintes and tried to connect.
> > It was stll not available (This usually only take 2 minutes).
> > Tried evry 30 seconds an finally connected only to find a new profile
> > with all the defaults and bubbles as if I were a new user. I
> > disconnected and when over to the other P/C to see what was going on.
> > The change was such a contrast it took me a while to think about what
> > to do, so I shutdown as my Firewall was not showing it's tray icon.
> >
> > Later when I had my head ready to deal I started to P/C and
> > everything was fine. I looked in event and it had 4 messages about
> > the registery (i assume the remote and local were arguing about
> > ownership) and it said it had build a temp profile (which I did see
> > and all the orginal was under that profile). And a message that said
> > it would attempt to reload the backup profile on reboot. Which it did
> > and the temp profile was gone and the org profile was back in order.
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > Was this a fluke or is there a bug doing Wu on remote with reboot?
> > Coz if there is, it is a serious problem.
> >
> > SJ

August 1, 2004 5:56:59 PM

SlowJet wrote:
> Aw yes, the old sluff and tut-tut reply. :)
>
> I am pretty sure it's a remote assess question and a possibly a
> multi-part interaction problem.

My bad - I think I was reading too fast. I do updates via RD/TS all the time
and haven't seen this happen. Did you check the event logs for userenv
errors?

> [...]
>>> disconnected and when over to the other P/C to see what was going
>>> on. The change was such a contrast it took me a while to think
>>> about what to do, so I shutdown as my Firewall was not showing it's
>>> tray icon.
>>>
>>> Later when I had my head ready to deal I started to P/C and
>>> everything was fine. I looked in event and it had 4 messages about
>>> the registery (i assume the remote and local were arguing about
>>> ownership) and it said it had build a temp profile (which I did see
>>> and all the orginal was under that profile). And a message that said
>>> it would attempt to reload the backup profile on reboot. Which it
>>> did and the temp profile was gone and the org profile was back in
>>> order.
>>>
>>> My question is:
>>>
>>> Was this a fluke or is there a bug doing Wu on remote with reboot?
>>> Coz if there is, it is a serious problem.

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:01:06 PM

Hi Lanwench, :)  funny name :)

Only saw the usual audits for logon.
If you have been doing this and it works then all I can say is it must have been a fluke until more reports come in or I do it again?

Sense I will be turning off Auto WU Critical updates for the safety of my P/Cs it won’t be a problem in the future. I will do all my updates from the website as I no longer trust MS auto WUpdate practice concerning SP2. J

SJ

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> SlowJet wrote:
> > Aw yes, the old sluff and tut-tut reply. :)
> >
> > I am pretty sure it's a remote assess question and a possibly a
> > multi-part interaction problem.
>
> My bad - I think I was reading too fast. I do updates via RD/TS all the time
> and haven't seen this happen. Did you check the event logs for userenv
> errors?
>

> > The Wu ran fine in all three cases, but the one re-booted from remote
> > got the profile error. The firewall was up but running as a service
> > and could not communicate to the desktop because of the new profile.
> >
> > I can't repeat it at this this time but it is important.
> >

> > SJ
> >
> > I wonder how moot is doing?
> > Hang in there moot. :)
> >
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > Go away
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > I don't know.
> > Go away
> >

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi - this is a 'remote access' group - best to post Windows Update
> >> questions to microsoft.public.windowsupdate.
> >>
> >> Do not disable your firewall - you don't need to, and you shouldn't
> >> ever connect to the Internet without a firewall protecting your
> >> computer.

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:25:49 AM

I don't think this'll convince Slow Jet, but I agree--I've done dozens and
dozens of updates via Remote Desktop, including updating two small offices
to XPSP2 RC2, and not had any problems.

Personally, I have AU set to download automatically and install during hours
when a given machine will be in use.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

!