SATA drives worth getting for video editing?

I'm getting a new motherboard soon which will support SATA. My question is,
is it worth getting one of these faster drives for video editing purposes?
Is it a little faster than a 7200 ata drive or a lot faster? I'm going to
get a second drive to use strickly for video projects and wanted to know if
SATA is worth the extra expense or just get a second 7200 drive?

Cheers
16 answers Last reply
More about sata drives worth video editing

    The drives are really not faster at all. The current crop of EIDT ATA
    drives can't even reach their maximum capable speeds. However, if you're
    getting an SATA equipped motherboard, there may only be 1 ATA100 EIDE
    connector. (The new crop of Intel 915/925 chipset based boards have 4 SATA
    ports and ! EIDE ATA100 port that supports 2 devices.

    You may be forced to get at lest one SATA drive if you are going to get into
    video editing. It's a bad idea to use your system drive for video editing -
    even if it has multiple partitions. And Putting 2 ATA100 (or similar EIDE)
    drives onto the lone EIDE connector will not be good either. It's best to
    have a completely separate hard drive on it's own channel for best video
    capture/edit performance.

    I have a 925X Express based motherboard with 1 EIDE channel and 4 SATA
    ports. I have 2 x 250GB SATA drives on SATA ports 1 and 2, a Plextor SATA
    12x DVD burner on SATA port 3, and a TDK DVD/CDRW drive on the lone EIDE
    channel. This works well for me, with both video capture/edit, and disc to
    disc copying.

    What system parts are you getting (motherboard, etc)?

    "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    | I'm getting a new motherboard soon which will support SATA. My question
    is,
    | is it worth getting one of these faster drives for video editing purposes?
    | Is it a little faster than a 7200 ata drive or a lot faster? I'm going to
    | get a second drive to use strickly for video projects and wanted to know
    if
    | SATA is worth the extra expense or just get a second 7200 drive?
    |
    | Cheers

    I'm getting an Asus K8V-X board: this one
    http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V-X&langs=01
    I have one ata133 drive and was thinking of getting a second one for video
    editing when I learned about the SATA drives. Is that the same as Raid? This
    new technology confuses me.

    atarileaf

    > I'm getting an Asus K8V-X board: this one
    > http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V-X&langs=01
    > I have one ata133 drive and was thinking of getting a second one for video
    > editing when I learned about the SATA drives. Is that the same as Raid?
    > This
    > new technology confuses me.
    >
    > atarileaf

    The Serial-ATA drive format costs the manufacturers less to
    implement and has a potential for faster throughput, but as has
    been said, that potential goes unused at present. The advantage
    for the manufacturers means lower prices or more for the same
    price, and that it is very likely to be supported in the future.

    SATA drives are most often implemented with RAID capable
    drivers, but it's not the same as RAID. RAID is a schema to
    use two or more drives sharing your data as you save and retrieve
    it. There are basically two approaches used (with some variations)
    one way makes the data flow more efficient and therefor faster, and
    the other makes your data more secure by keeping a copy on each
    drive.

    I use two SATA 10,000 RPM "Raptor" drives, not in RAID, and
    they make my system noticeably faster than it was with my old 7200
    RPM drives. I capture with a Hardware MPEG Encoder so drive
    performance won't effect capture as it could (producing dropped
    frames) with most other capture methods. The few "I frame only"
    captures I've made, have encountered no problems.

    Are they worth it? I got mine form Newegg, a new 74Gig and a
    refurbished 36Gig, on sale and they have been well worth it to me.

    Luck;
    Ken

    I thought most digital camcorders use firewire to transfer to and from the
    pc? What is a hardware mpeg encoder and how does it differ from a firewire
    card?

    Basically, from the little I learned, I want to transfer my mini-dv home
    movies to my pc via firewire, edit them, add some nifty transitions, music,
    titles, etc, then shoot it back out to the camera, again via firewire and
    from there make copies on video tape. Do I need a hardware mpeg encoder to
    do this? Will my videos drop frames, suffer from artifacting, or other bad
    quality problems the way I'm going to attempt to do it?

    Cheers
    atarileaf

    >I thought most digital camcorders use firewire to transfer to and from the
    > pc? What is a hardware mpeg encoder and how does it differ from a firewire
    > card?
    >
    > Basically, from the little I learned, I want to transfer my mini-dv home
    > movies to my pc via firewire, edit them, add some nifty transitions,
    > music,
    > titles, etc, then shoot it back out to the camera, again via firewire and
    > from there make copies on video tape. Do I need a hardware mpeg encoder to
    > do this? Will my videos drop frames, suffer from artifacting, or other bad
    > quality problems the way I'm going to attempt to do it?
    >
    > Cheers
    > atarileaf

    The hardware MPEG encoder I use is for Analog Video, the
    standard stuff that is fed to a normal TV. MPEG is a highly
    compressed digital video (DV) format, used for TV distribution
    and to make DVDs. Your camcorder's DV is typically only
    compressed 5:1 and maintains the complete data for each
    individual frame. MPEG compression is "Lossey" in that much
    unneeded data is rejected and not used, this allows much smaller
    files and/or data streams.

    If your source is Digital you want to capture it in a Digital way.
    The "Firewire" port is the most practical way to import Digital
    Video. You won't need any MPEG encoder until and unless you
    are actually Authoring a DVD or preparing content for distribution.

    Since your camera has already digitized and compressed your
    video, it is unlikely that you could be hurt by the performance
    of a healthy drive, of any speed. There are a number of factors
    that can cause the problems you mention, (Just read a month's
    worth of posts on this NG), and drive performance can be a
    cause, but there is no way to predict any individuals results.
    There are a number of posters that have great success with the
    approach you describe.

    Your posts didn't mention that you were just doing Digital
    captures from a camcorder, until this last one.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Thanks Ken. I guess I should have mentioned that in the beginning. Sorry
    about the confusion.
    Thanks again for your help.

    > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > >I thought most digital camcorders use firewire to transfer to and from
    the
    > > pc? What is a hardware mpeg encoder and how does it differ from a
    firewire
    > > card?
    > >
    > > Basically, from the little I learned, I want to transfer my mini-dv home
    > > movies to my pc via firewire, edit them, add some nifty transitions,
    > > music,
    > > titles, etc, then shoot it back out to the camera, again via firewire
    and
    > > from there make copies on video tape. Do I need a hardware mpeg encoder
    > > do this? Will my videos drop frames, suffer from artifacting, or other
    bad
    > > quality problems the way I'm going to attempt to do it?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > atarileaf
    > >

    > The hardware MPEG encoder I use is for Analog Video, the
    > standard stuff that is fed to a normal TV. MPEG is a highly
    > compressed digital video (DV) format, used for TV distribution
    > and to make DVDs. Your camcorder's DV is typically only
    > compressed 5:1 and maintains the complete data for each
    > individual frame. MPEG compression is "Lossey" in that much
    > unneeded data is rejected and not used, this allows much smaller
    > files and/or data streams.
    >
    > If your source is Digital you want to capture it in a Digital way.
    > The "Firewire" port is the most practical way to import Digital
    > Video. You won't need any MPEG encoder until and unless you
    > are actually Authoring a DVD or preparing content for distribution.
    >
    > Since your camera has already digitized and compressed your
    > video, it is unlikely that you could be hurt by the performance
    > of a healthy drive, of any speed. There are a number of factors
    > that can cause the problems you mention, (Just read a month's
    > worth of posts on this NG), and drive performance can be a
    > cause, but there is no way to predict any individuals results.
    > There are a number of posters that have great success with the
    > approach you describe.
    >
    > Your posts didn't mention that you were just doing Digital
    > captures from a camcorder, until this last one.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    > I use two SATA 10,000 RPM "Raptor" drives, not in RAID, and
    > they make my system noticeably faster than it was with my old 7200

    Interesting. I use WD JB series EIDE drives and the benchmarks from
    storagereview.com only show about a 10% increase in hd performance with the
    Raptors. And since I know that users can't even perceive a 10% increase in
    overall performance, I'm surprised you can tell with just a 10% increase in
    hd performance alone. That's the main reason I haven't upgraded my drives.
    Still debating on putting two of the Raptors in a RAID 0 config for the OS.

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > SATA drives are most often implemented with RAID capable
    > drivers, but it's not the same as RAID. RAID is a schema to
    > use two or more drives sharing your data as you save and retrieve
    > it. There are basically two approaches used (with some variations)
    > one way makes the data flow more efficient and therefor faster, and
    > the other makes your data more secure by keeping a copy on each
    > drive.

    Not sure what you mean here by 'not the same as RAID. RAID is raid. Once you
    have more than one drive in a shared array.....There are many types of raid.
    For video storage RAID 0 is the fastest, non redundant solution

    "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >I thought most digital camcorders use firewire to transfer to and from the
    > pc? What is a hardware mpeg encoder and how does it differ from a firewire
    > card?

    Hardware encoder takes in a stream of video and performs MPEG compression on
    the stream in real time.

    > Basically, from the little I learned, I want to transfer my mini-dv home
    > movies to my pc via firewire, edit them, add some nifty transitions,
    > music,
    > titles, etc, then shoot it back out to the camera, again via firewire and
    > from there make copies on video tape. Do I need a hardware mpeg encoder to
    > do this?

    Deinfately NOT. If you are only going back to DV tape or VHS. There is no
    MPEG in that solution necessary.

    Will my videos drop frames, suffer from artifacting, or other bad
    > quality problems the way I'm going to attempt to do it?

    No.. they'll be fine. Just use a dedicated drive for DV. ALL current hard
    drives can handle the DV data rate .

    "Mark M" <mark@onworldsedge.com> wrote in message
    >> I use two SATA 10,000 RPM "Raptor" drives, not in RAID, and
    >> they make my system noticeably faster than it was with my old 7200
    >
    > Interesting. I use WD JB series EIDE drives and the benchmarks from
    > storagereview.com only show about a 10% increase in hd performance with
    > the
    > Raptors. And since I know that users can't even perceive a 10% increase in
    > overall performance, I'm surprised you can tell with just a 10% increase
    > in
    > hd performance alone. That's the main reason I haven't upgraded my drives.
    > Still debating on putting two of the Raptors in a RAID 0 config for the
    > OS.

    I don't know how they came up with the 10% figure, or how
    you "know that users can't even perceive a 10% increase in
    overall performance" - but - things load noticeably faster and in
    fact some slight pauses have disappeared, altogether. Now I
    don't have any idea how much of an improvement there may
    be in benchmarks, or if the ones you reference were comparing
    the 10,000 rpm drives, but it was certainly perceivable when I
    switched to these drives.

    Luck;
    Ken

    SATA is just the next step in mass storage interconnection
    technology progress. In the long run it is cheaper than parallel
    ATA which in turn was cheaper than its predecessors. After
    SATA there will likely be optical of some kind.

    That SATA might be slightly faster/slower than current ATA
    implementations is transient and incidental. In a few years,
    everything will be SATA and ATA drives will be antiques.

    This may be a consideration for those of us intending to use
    hard drives as archival storage (in lieu of tape, optical disc,
    etc.)

    > I don't know how they came up with the 10% figure, or how

    Benchmark testing, specifically I/O ops per second, and the site is quite
    unbiased.

    > you "know that users can't even perceive a 10% increase in
    > overall performance" - but - things load noticeably faster and in

    Well known fact in performance and tuning technology.

    > the 10,000 rpm drives, but it was certainly perceivable when I
    > switched to these drives.

    They were comparing your exact model drive with 70-80 other hd's from 5400
    to 15k including EIDE, SATA and SCSI.

    All I know is that I can get a new 80 gig SATA drive for $100 Cdn so the
    price is right, its a little faster and will have its own channel so
    hopefully dropped frames will be a non-issue with this drive.
    Cheers
    atarileaf

    > > I don't know how they came up with the 10% figure, or how
    >
    > Benchmark testing, specifically I/O ops per second, and the site is quite
    > unbiased.
    >
    > > you "know that users can't even perceive a 10% increase in
    > > overall performance" - but - things load noticeably faster and in
    >
    > Well known fact in performance and tuning technology.
    >
    > > the 10,000 rpm drives, but it was certainly perceivable when I
    > > switched to these drives.
    >
    > They were comparing your exact model drive with 70-80 other hd's from 5400
    > to 15k including EIDE, SATA and SCSI.

    In article <_KSdnack4pI1ngbcRVn-2w@giganews.com>, kmaltby@sbcglobal.net
    says...

    > I don't know how they came up with the 10% figure, or how
    > you "know that users can't even perceive a 10% increase in
    > overall performance" - but - things load noticeably faster and in
    > fact some slight pauses have disappeared, altogether. Now I
    > don't have any idea how much of an improvement there may
    > be in benchmarks, or if the ones you reference were comparing
    > the 10,000 rpm drives, but it was certainly perceivable when I
    > switched to these drives.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Your perceived gains depend on what you two guys upgraded from too.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:32:06 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
    <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

    >SATA is just the next step in mass storage interconnection
    >technology progress. In the long run it is cheaper than parallel
    >ATA which in turn was cheaper than its predecessors. After
    >SATA there will likely be optical of some kind.
    >
    >That SATA might be slightly faster/slower than current ATA
    >implementations is transient and incidental. In a few years,
    >everything will be SATA and ATA drives will be antiques.
    >
    >This may be a consideration for those of us intending to use
    >hard drives as archival storage (in lieu of tape, optical disc,
    >etc.)

    They are also a lot easier to install. No more wide ribbon cable to
    crush & stretch through frame cutouts. Case airflow is also improved.

    --
    Owamanga!

    "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote:

    >I'm getting a new motherboard soon which will support SATA. My question is,
    >is it worth getting one of these faster drives for video editing purposes?
    >Is it a little faster than a 7200 ata drive or a lot faster? I'm going to
    >get a second drive to use strickly for video projects and wanted to know if
    >SATA is worth the extra expense or just get a second 7200 drive?
    >
    >Cheers

    Go here http://storagereview.com/comparison.html and select WB99
    Disk/Read Transfer Rate - Begin or - End from the dropdown list.
    Disk/Write would be even better, but isn't offered. Pick a drive as
    high up the list as your budget permits. The Seagate 200GB's are
    reasonable choices, easily had at $100 without rebate, often at
    Outpost for $70 after a rebate.

Tuner Cards SATA Video Video Editing Graphics