XP Pro on a home computer with a cable modem - How do I re..

I have a computer at home, connected to my home network using an 802.11g connection with a Linksys router, and then a cable modem. How do I use Remote Desktop Connection from my computer at work, or at a friend's home, to connect to my home machine?
2 answers Last reply
More about home computer cable modem

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Andy" wrote:
    >
    > I have a computer at home, connected to my home network
    >using an 802.11g connection with a Linksys router, and then
    >a cable modem. How do I use Remote Desktop Connection
    >from my computer at work, or at a friend's home, to connect
    >to my home machine?

    Configure the router to forward port 3389 to the IP address
    of the home computer.
    The User ID on the home computer must have a password.
    Remote Desktop Connection must be enabled on the home
    computer.
    If the User ID does not have Administrator privileges, it must
    be given permission to connect via RDC.

    From the friend's house connect to the WAN IP address
    of the home router.

    Do the same from work. If the firewall at work blocks
    outbound traffic on port 3389, it will not be possible
    to establish a connection.

Connection Modem Cable Computers Windows XP