remote desktop connection

I being trying to figure out what ip address should I put when I use the remote desktop connection. I have a linksys router which uses dynamic addressing, however I dont think that ip address is the one I need. My office computer (host) is already configured to remote access, and I am trying to acces it from my home computer.

You call using the public IP of the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"YAACH" <YAACH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I being trying to figure out what ip address should I put when I use the remote desktop connection.
>I have a linksys router which uses dynamic addressing, however I dont think that ip address is the
>one I need. My office computer (host) is already configured to remote access, and I am trying to
>acces it from my home computer.

In the router interface I see a WAN IP address, I tried to type that one but still doesnt work. Also, the router in my office connects 7 computers, so how to distinguished among them if I use the router ip address. Do I have to use any port number. I getting frustated in this aparently simple topic.

To access multiple Remote Desktop sessions through a firewall/NAT/router look at this page for
examples of how to do that...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

Note that to test using the WAN IP of the router this you must be at a remote location. You can
*NOT* be on a local LAN PC and try to connect to another local LAN PC using the WAN IP of the
router. If you want to test over a local LAN then use the local LAN IP of the PC your trying to
connect to.

--

> In the router interface I see a WAN IP address, I tried to type that one but still doesnt work.
> Also, the router in my office connects 7 computers, so how to distinguished among them if I use
> the router ip address. Do I have to use any port number. I getting frustated in this aparently
> simple topic.

I got it!! Thanks Al. All I had to do is forward port RDP (3369) to the computer I want to access remotely in the router interface. Then from the client computer I typed the WAN IP address together with the RDP port. Simple like that. Now I gotta play around with this and meet the new challenges and problems. Thanks.

I am not using remote desktop connection. I am using Remote Assistance.
However, I am sure the problem is with my linksys BEFN2PS4 router. I have
checked every tab and cannot find a place to enable uPnP services.

I have gone to the Port Forwarding tab and added Ext.Port 3389 to 3389,
check the box TCP, UDP, put in the IP address, and checked enable.

Other news...I had a friend of mind send my an invitation to help using
Remote Assistance and we were successful. I took control of his
computer....that is scary. So, I know Remote Assistance will work going
out. I would like to get it working both ways.

Any ideas?

Russ
> To access multiple Remote Desktop sessions through a firewall/NAT/router
look at this page for
> examples of how to do that...
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>
> Note that to test using the WAN IP of the router this you must be at a
remote location. You can
> *NOT* be on a local LAN PC and try to connect to another local LAN PC
using the WAN IP of the
> router. If you want to test over a local LAN then use the local LAN IP of
the PC your trying to
> connect to.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "YAACH" <YAACH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > In the router interface I see a WAN IP address, I tried to type that one
but still doesnt work.
> > Also, the router in my office connects 7 computers, so how to
distinguished among them if I use
> > the router ip address. Do I have to use any port number. I getting
frustated in this aparently
> > simple topic.

I found the below in the help menu for the linksys.... If I disable the
DHCP function, will my home network stop working? I just have three PCs
networked together using the linksys....no server... just standalone PC's...

Russ

Forwarding
Port forwarding can be used to set up public services on your network. When
users from the Internet submit certain requests to your network, the Router
can forward those requests to specific computers that are equipped to handle
the requests. For example, If you set the port number 80 (HTTP) to be
forwarded to the IP Address 192.168.1.2, then all HTTP requests from outside
users will be forwarded to 192.168.1.2. You must disable the Router's DHCP
function to utilize this function.

> To access multiple Remote Desktop sessions through a firewall/NAT/router
look at this page for
> examples of how to do that...
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>
> Note that to test using the WAN IP of the router this you must be at a
remote location. You can
> *NOT* be on a local LAN PC and try to connect to another local LAN PC
using the WAN IP of the
> router. If you want to test over a local LAN then use the local LAN IP of
the PC your trying to
> connect to.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "YAACH" <YAACH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > In the router interface I see a WAN IP address, I tried to type that one
but still doesnt work.
> > Also, the router in my office connects 7 computers, so how to
distinguished among them if I use
> > the router ip address. Do I have to use any port number. I getting
frustated in this aparently
> > simple topic.

Look at this page for help setting up static IP addresses for your desktops...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

--

"Russ" <russstodieck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I found the below in the help menu for the linksys.... If I disable the
> DHCP function, will my home network stop working? I just have three PCs
> networked together using the linksys....no server... just standalone PC's...
>
> Russ
>
> Forwarding
> Port forwarding can be used to set up public services on your network. When
> users from the Internet submit certain requests to your network, the Router
> can forward those requests to specific computers that are equipped to handle
> the requests. For example, If you set the port number 80 (HTTP) to be
> forwarded to the IP Address 192.168.1.2, then all HTTP requests from outside
> users will be forwarded to 192.168.1.2. You must disable the Router's DHCP
> function to utilize this function.

Contact Linksys technical support for help with the UPnP issue on your router...