Is This Apple G4 Notebook Capable Of Editing With FCP? Aft..

I am a lifelong, devout PC-er and I happily use Premiere Pro 1.5. I
also am fairly well-versed in After Effects and Photoshop and use them
regularly in my work.

Right now, I am looking to buy my first notebook, and since I'm sick
of being denied freelance work because of client's requiring their
editor use FCP, I'm thinking of making the notebook an Apple G4. Since
it's my first venture in both laptops and Mac's, I was hoping to get
some input.

I'm considering the purchase of this low-end Apple G4 ($900 after
rebate):

http://tinyurl.com/3pkyl

I realize that the hard drive is tiny, but I would be using external
drives when I edit anyway. The one thing that leaps out at me is the
256MB RAM. Can I possibly use FCP, After Effects, and Photoshop with
that little RAM? I know that a WinXP machine would choke on 256MB. How
easy would it be to upgrade the memory? Is it a DIY project or
something I'd have to visit an Apple store to accomplish? How much $$$
would a decent amount of RAM be for this machine?

If there are any other defeciencies in the above machine, for the love
of God, tell me now! I need to beat the deadline of November 21 for
the rebate.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about apple notebook capable editing

    "com crumb" <shakalaka878@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am a lifelong, devout PC-er and I happily use Premiere Pro 1.5. I
    > also am fairly well-versed in After Effects and Photoshop and use them
    > regularly in my work.
    >
    > Right now, I am looking to buy my first notebook, and since I'm sick
    > of being denied freelance work because of client's requiring their
    > editor use FCP, I'm thinking of making the notebook an Apple G4. Since
    > it's my first venture in both laptops and Mac's, I was hoping to get
    > some input.
    >
    > I'm considering the purchase of this low-end Apple G4 ($900 after
    > rebate):
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3pkyl
    >
    > I realize that the hard drive is tiny, but I would be using external
    > drives when I edit anyway. The one thing that leaps out at me is the
    > 256MB RAM. Can I possibly use FCP, After Effects, and Photoshop with
    > that little RAM? I know that a WinXP machine would choke on 256MB. How
    > easy would it be to upgrade the memory? Is it a DIY project or
    > something I'd have to visit an Apple store to accomplish? How much $$$
    > would a decent amount of RAM be for this machine?
    >
    > If there are any other defeciencies in the above machine, for the love
    > of God, tell me now! I need to beat the deadline of November 21 for
    > the rebate.
    >
    > Thanks!

    That's probably the ONLY reason to learn FCP if you are already cutting with
    PPro. I understand what you mean there. Avid or FCP. Ya gotta know them.

    But I'd check the requirements for FCP prior to buying that mac. I have
    FCPHD running on a dual 1G Mac with 1.5G Ram and it is slow and clumsy. In
    fact, like you I only have the system to comply with the market. Which is
    smaller than I had originally thought. Our FCP setup is used about 10% of
    the time and Premiere Pro on a DUAL Xeon PC is primary. Especially when we
    are in a hurry.

    I would very much like to hear what you think of it when you do get a
    system.

    While you can edit on a mac laptop, I think you should begin with nothing
    slower than a 1GHz machine with no less than 1G or ram if you want any
    performance at all. And then there's drives. .....

    I am looking at the Medea Gdrives for smaller uncompressed setups. .Up to
    800G, .. But you can use just about any IDE drive for DV ..

    I am not really convinced that firewire drives on laptops work well while
    capturing from firewire devices on the same port. In fact, I think it is
    problematic.

    nappy-iou wrote:

    > But I'd check the requirements for FCP prior to buying that mac. I have
    > FCPHD running on a dual 1G Mac with 1.5G Ram and it is slow and clumsy. In
    > fact, like you I only have the system to comply with the market. Which is
    > smaller than I had originally thought. Our FCP setup is used about 10% of
    > the time and Premiere Pro on a DUAL Xeon PC is primary. Especially when we
    > are in a hurry.

    I agree about checking the requirements for FCP. They are posted on
    Apple's web site. However, FCPHD isn't quite as resource intensive as
    nappy would have us believe. I have it running happily on a dual 1.25
    GHz G4 with a mere 512 KB RAM. And if it ran any faster, it'd get done
    before I tell it what to do :-)

    > I would very much like to hear what you think of it when you do get a
    > system.
    >
    > While you can edit on a mac laptop, I think you should begin with nothing
    > slower than a 1GHz machine with no less than 1G or ram if you want any
    > performance at all. And then there's drives. .....
    >
    > I am looking at the Medea Gdrives for smaller uncompressed setups. .Up to
    > 800G, .. But you can use just about any IDE drive for DV ..
    >
    > I am not really convinced that firewire drives on laptops work well while
    > capturing from firewire devices on the same port. In fact, I think it is
    > problematic.

    I've never tried it myself, but (because) I've heard the horror stories.

    "com crumb" <shakalaka878@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am a lifelong, devout PC-er and I happily use Premiere Pro 1.5. I
    > also am fairly well-versed in After Effects and Photoshop and use them
    > regularly in my work.
    >
    > Right now, I am looking to buy my first notebook, and since I'm sick
    > of being denied freelance work because of client's requiring their
    > editor use FCP, I'm thinking of making the notebook an Apple G4. Since
    > it's my first venture in both laptops and Mac's, I was hoping to get
    > some input.
    >
    > I'm considering the purchase of this low-end Apple G4 ($900 after
    > rebate):
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3pkyl
    >
    > I realize that the hard drive is tiny, but I would be using external
    > drives when I edit anyway. The one thing that leaps out at me is the
    > 256MB RAM. Can I possibly use FCP, After Effects, and Photoshop with
    > that little RAM? I know that a WinXP machine would choke on 256MB. How
    > easy would it be to upgrade the memory? Is it a DIY project or
    > something I'd have to visit an Apple store to accomplish? How much $$$
    > would a decent amount of RAM be for this machine?
    >
    > If there are any other defeciencies in the above machine, for the love
    > of God, tell me now! I need to beat the deadline of November 21 for
    > the rebate.
    >
    > Thanks!

    It's good enough for Photoshop only. Not only it's slow CPU and lack of
    memory, the 12" screen is not big enough to use FCP comfortably. AE is too
    CPU intensive for that little iBook.

    shakalaka878@yahoo.com (com crumb) wrote in message news:<8fba45ff.0411160954.55d53107@posting.google.com>...
    > I am a lifelong, devout PC-er and I happily use Premiere Pro 1.5. I
    > also am fairly well-versed in After Effects and Photoshop and use them
    > regularly in my work.
    >
    > Right now, I am looking to buy my first notebook, and since I'm sick
    > of being denied freelance work because of client's requiring their
    > editor use FCP, I'm thinking of making the notebook an Apple G4. Since
    > it's my first venture in both laptops and Mac's, I was hoping to get
    > some input.
    >
    > I'm considering the purchase of this low-end Apple G4 ($900 after
    > rebate):
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3pkyl
    >
    > I realize that the hard drive is tiny, but I would be using external
    > drives when I edit anyway. The one thing that leaps out at me is the
    > 256MB RAM. Can I possibly use FCP, After Effects, and Photoshop with
    > that little RAM? I know that a WinXP machine would choke on 256MB. How
    > easy would it be to upgrade the memory? Is it a DIY project or
    > something I'd have to visit an Apple store to accomplish? How much $$$
    > would a decent amount of RAM be for this machine?
    >
    > If there are any other defeciencies in the above machine, for the love
    > of God, tell me now! I need to beat the deadline of November 21 for
    > the rebate.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I've used FCP on a 500Mhz/382MBram ibook with no problems, but I'm not
    trying to get pro work done. It handled full reolution DV or convert
    to offlineRT fine but there were no RT effects and render times were
    long.

    If you're seriously doing this for professionally, get a powerbook,
    15" with more res will do much better for pro work, and you can add a
    second monitor for desktop spanning - the ibook will only do mirroring
    and locked at the 786*1024 resolution.

    Nappy's right - don't capture to a FW hard drive via FW on one socket,
    so a powerbook gives you 2 FW sockets, or you can simply capture the
    the internal drive and then shift the folder to the FW drive. (the new
    pwrbks also have FW800 and USB2)

    I adore my ibook, but it would be really limiting for serious work, I
    have a powermac or PCs at work for heavy lifting. If you really intend
    to do pro work on this system it's worth the extra $1000, it will earn
    you back the difference very quickly - or else just stay with Prem Pro
    if it works OK for you.

    Dylan

    System Requirements
    a.. Macintosh computer with 350MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5
    processor and AGP graphics card
    b.. Mac OS X v10.3.2 or later
    c.. QuickTime 6.5 or later
    d.. 384MB of RAM
    e.. For Soundtrack, 500MHz or faster single processor or 450MHz or
    faster dual processors;512MB of RAM recommended
    f.. For RT Extreme, single 500MHz or faster PowerPC G4 (550MHz for
    PowerBook G4) or any dual PowerPC G4 and 512MB of RAM
    g.. For DVCPRO HD, 1GHz or faster single or dual processors and 1GB
    of RAM
    h.. 1GB of available disk space for application installation
    i.. 5GB of disk space for Soundtrack content
    j.. 9GB of disk space for LiveType content
    k.. DVD drive for installation

    "Ed Anson" <EdAnson@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > nappy-iou wrote:
    >
    >> But I'd check the requirements for FCP prior to buying that mac. I have
    >> FCPHD running on a dual 1G Mac with 1.5G Ram and it is slow and clumsy.
    >> In fact, like you I only have the system to comply with the market. Which
    >> is smaller than I had originally thought. Our FCP setup is used about 10%
    >> of the time and Premiere Pro on a DUAL Xeon PC is primary. Especially
    >> when we are in a hurry.
    >
    > I agree about checking the requirements for FCP. They are posted on
    > Apple's web site. However, FCPHD isn't quite as resource intensive as
    > nappy would have us believe. I have it running happily on a dual 1.25 GHz
    > G4 with a mere 512 KB RAM. And if it ran any faster, it'd get done before
    > I tell it what to do :-)
    >

    >> I would very much like to hear what you think of it when you do get a
    >> system.
    >>
    >> While you can edit on a mac laptop, I think you should begin with nothing
    >> slower than a 1GHz machine with no less than 1G or ram if you want any
    >> performance at all. And then there's drives. .....
    >>
    >> I am looking at the Medea Gdrives for smaller uncompressed setups. .Up to
    >> 800G, .. But you can use just about any IDE drive for DV ..
    >>
    >> I am not really convinced that firewire drives on laptops work well while
    >> capturing from firewire devices on the same port. In fact, I think it is
    >> problematic.
    >
    > I've never tried it myself, but (because) I've heard the horror stories.

    shakalaka878@yahoo.com (com crumb) wrote in

    > I am a lifelong, devout PC-er and I happily use Premiere Pro 1.5. I
    > also am fairly well-versed in After Effects and Photoshop and use them
    > regularly in my work.
    >
    > Right now, I am looking to buy my first notebook, and since I'm sick
    > of being denied freelance work because of client's requiring their
    > editor use FCP, I'm thinking of making the notebook an Apple G4. Since
    > it's my first venture in both laptops and Mac's, I was hoping to get
    > some input.
    >
    > I'm considering the purchase of this low-end Apple G4 ($900 after
    > rebate):
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3pkyl
    >
    > I realize that the hard drive is tiny, but I would be using external
    > drives when I edit anyway. The one thing that leaps out at me is the
    > 256MB RAM. Can I possibly use FCP, After Effects, and Photoshop with
    > that little RAM? I know that a WinXP machine would choke on 256MB. How
    > easy would it be to upgrade the memory? Is it a DIY project or
    > something I'd have to visit an Apple store to accomplish? How much $$$
    > would a decent amount of RAM be for this machine?
    >
    > If there are any other defeciencies in the above machine, for the love
    > of God, tell me now! I need to beat the deadline of November 21 for
    > the rebate.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would suggest a refurb 15 inch with FW 800. You can span monitors
    without a hack and you can ( as I do on my 15", 1.5GHZ, 512 MB PB)
    piggyback your DVcam with FW400 to a Lacie D2 FW drive and then connect
    the Lacie to your FW800 port. Works great with OSX.3.5 and FCP 3
    (Actually, I was surprised how well it worked). I use AE 5.5 to colorize
    B&W video which also works well without any hiccups. I think if you are
    trying to make money, another grand up front would be a smart move. You
    can easily add a GB memory stick when you have some extra cash.

    Mike

Tuner Cards Notebooks Apple Graphics