Remote Assistance Feature of XP

My daughter is getting ready to go to the university so instead of buying
pcanywhere, I thought I would try to make this remote assistance feature
work in XP. I launch Remote Assistance, we communicate via MSN messenger no
problem. She sends a request to me for assistance and I accept. But,
nothing happens after that. I do have a router at my house with a firewall
and it may be preventing this connectivity.

What is my next step to making this work?

Thanks,
Russ
13 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance feature

    router and forward port 3389. Further, if you have XP's
    firewall turned on you will have to go into settings and
    turn on port 3389 there also.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/ra_server_close_port.asp

    "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

    Thanks.. Good info. I had a friend of mine request remote assistance and I
    was able see his desktop. However, it would not work in the reverse. I
    assume my linksys router is not allowing access to my computer.

    I have added to the port forwarding page port 3389 and my internal ip
    address...But it still does not work.. Still investigating proper setup of
    the router..

    "RoadRunner" <gabriel.stan@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/ra_server_close_port.asp

    > "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Check the contents of the invitation file itself. See whether it contains
    the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of the
    router. My bet is for the former.

    You can edit the invite file to change this. I'm not sure whether enabling
    UPnP functions on your machine and, perhaps, using Windows Messenger to pass
    the invitation, will fix this. Here's a KB that describes the process
    involved:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306298

    "Russ" <russstodieck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks.. Good info. I had a friend of mine request remote assistance and
    > was able see his desktop. However, it would not work in the reverse. I
    > assume my linksys router is not allowing access to my computer.
    >
    > I have added to the port forwarding page port 3389 and my internal ip
    > address...But it still does not work.. Still investigating proper setup
    > of
    > the router..
    >

    > "RoadRunner" <gabriel.stan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/ra_server_close_port.asp
    >>
    >> "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    What command (for example, IPCONFIG) can I enter, or what panel can I
    navigate too that will tell me the identity of these two IP address?
    "... the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    the router. ..."

    Once I know the identity of these two IP addresses, how can I configure my
    D-Link and/or Linksys router to forward the 3389 port for the correct IP
    (private or public) address so that I can request remote assistance from my
    PC even though it is behind an NAT router (D-Link DI-624)?

    Both my PC, and the distant PC I'm requesting Remote Assistance from are
    running Windows XP Pro. My PC is behind a D-Link DI-624 router, while the
    distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they would
    forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly. That's
    why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't think
    this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with both
    Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.

    Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm these two
    routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.
    --
    Regards,

    Peter Sale
    Santa Monica, CA USA
    To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > Check the contents of the invitation file itself. See whether it contains
    > the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of the
    > router. My bet is for the former.
    >
    > You can edit the invite file to change this. I'm not sure whether
    enabling
    > UPnP functions on your machine and, perhaps, using Windows Messenger to
    pass
    > the invitation, will fix this. Here's a KB that describes the process
    > involved:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306298
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
    > What command (for example, IPCONFIG) can I enter, or what panel can I
    > navigate too that will tell me the identity of these two IP address?
    > "... the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    > the router. ..."

    I use ping on the name of the ISP provider. It is a public address.

    If you are using a dsl router, then ipconfig will provide a private IP
    address.
    Your address has been nat'ed (Network Address Translation).

    For instance I have a win98 machine with a modem I use for test purposes.
    The IP address when I ping the ISP and when I run ipconfig are the same.
    I think you can get the same effect by hooking the dsl modem up directly,
    unless the ISP provides nat'ed service.

    A fair portion of ISPs are nat'ed. If you have this type of ISP and
    a router which provides Nat also, this is called a nested Nat.

    Do you have a static IP address from ISP?
    Is your ISP nat'ed (creating nested Nats when you use the router)?

    > Once I know the identity of these two IP addresses, how can I configure
    my
    > D-Link and/or Linksys router to forward the 3389 port for the correct IP
    > (private or public) address so that I can request remote assistance from
    my
    > PC even though it is behind an NAT router (D-Link DI-624)?
    >
    > Both my PC, and the distant PC I'm requesting Remote Assistance from are
    > running Windows XP Pro. My PC is behind a D-Link DI-624 router, while the
    > distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    > routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they would
    > forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly.
    That's
    > why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    > Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't think
    > this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with both
    > Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.
    >
    > Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm these
    two
    > routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Sale
    > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > > Check the contents of the invitation file itself. See whether it
    contains
    > > the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    the
    > > router. My bet is for the former.
    > >
    > > You can edit the invite file to change this. I'm not sure whether
    > enabling
    > > UPnP functions on your machine and, perhaps, using Windows Messenger to
    > pass
    > > the invitation, will fix this. Here's a KB that describes the process
    > > involved:
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306298

    IPCONFIG will give you the Private address.

    To get the public or WAN address, go visit http://ipaddress.com

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:02:09 -0700, "Peter Sale"
    <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote:

    >What command (for example, IPCONFIG) can I enter, or what panel can I
    >navigate too that will tell me the identity of these two IP address?
    >"... the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    >the router. ..."
    >
    >Once I know the identity of these two IP addresses, how can I configure my
    >D-Link and/or Linksys router to forward the 3389 port for the correct IP
    >(private or public) address so that I can request remote assistance from my
    >PC even though it is behind an NAT router (D-Link DI-624)?
    >
    >Both my PC, and the distant PC I'm requesting Remote Assistance from are
    >running Windows XP Pro. My PC is behind a D-Link DI-624 router, while the
    >distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    >routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they would
    >forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly. That's
    >why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    >Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't think
    >this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with both
    >Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.
    >
    >Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm these two
    >routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.

    Stephen Harris is quite right, of course, that if your ISP is nat'd this'll
    give incorrect results. I've no idea what proportion of folks that applies
    to--so far I've only run into it in a few cases--very small ISPs, usually
    outside the U.S.

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:s1tih0l1a5klovpdjq236bhem1pntlsvab@4ax.com...
    > IPCONFIG will give you the Private address.
    >
    > To get the public or WAN address, go visit http://ipaddress.com
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:02:09 -0700, "Peter Sale"
    > <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote:
    >
    >>What command (for example, IPCONFIG) can I enter, or what panel can I
    >>navigate too that will tell me the identity of these two IP address?
    >>"... the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    >>the router. ..."
    >>
    >>Once I know the identity of these two IP addresses, how can I configure
    >>my
    >>D-Link and/or Linksys router to forward the 3389 port for the correct IP
    >>(private or public) address so that I can request remote assistance from
    >>my
    >>PC even though it is behind an NAT router (D-Link DI-624)?
    >>
    >>Both my PC, and the distant PC I'm requesting Remote Assistance from are
    >>running Windows XP Pro. My PC is behind a D-Link DI-624 router, while the
    >>distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    >>routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they would
    >>forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly.
    >>That's
    >>why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    >>Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't think
    >>this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with both
    >>Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.
    >>
    >>Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm these
    >>two
    >>routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    One good way to test whether you've managed the forwarding correctly, if the
    destination machine is XP Professional, is to use Remote Desktop to test.
    This needs to be enabled on the destination host--it uses the same RDP
    protocol and the same default port, so its a good test.

    In a pinch, you can also test via Telnet:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187628

    There's probably a newer version of this article, but it gives the basics.
    Substitute your destination hosts IP address for "tserv" in the example.

    "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
    > What command (for example, IPCONFIG) can I enter, or what panel can I
    > navigate too that will tell me the identity of these two IP address?
    > "... the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    > the router. ..."
    >
    > Once I know the identity of these two IP addresses, how can I configure
    > my
    > D-Link and/or Linksys router to forward the 3389 port for the correct IP
    > (private or public) address so that I can request remote assistance from
    > my
    > PC even though it is behind an NAT router (D-Link DI-624)?
    >
    > Both my PC, and the distant PC I'm requesting Remote Assistance from are
    > running Windows XP Pro. My PC is behind a D-Link DI-624 router, while the
    > distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    > routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they would
    > forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly.
    > That's
    > why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    > Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't think
    > this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with both
    > Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.
    >
    > Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm these
    > two
    > routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Sale
    > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> Check the contents of the invitation file itself. See whether it
    >> contains
    >> the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of the
    >> router. My bet is for the former.
    >>
    >> You can edit the invite file to change this. I'm not sure whether
    > enabling
    >> UPnP functions on your machine and, perhaps, using Windows Messenger to
    > pass
    >> the invitation, will fix this. Here's a KB that describes the process
    >> involved:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306298

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    There's a cable company around here that services apartments and
    nearby homes that passes out 10.0.0.x addresses...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:57:30 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >Stephen Harris is quite right, of course, that if your ISP is nat'd this'll
    >give incorrect results. I've no idea what proportion of folks that applies
    >to--so far I've only run into it in a few cases--very small ISPs, usually
    >outside the U.S.
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    >in message news:s1tih0l1a5klovpdjq236bhem1pntlsvab@4ax.com...
    >> IPCONFIG will give you the Private address.
    >>
    >> To get the public or WAN address, go visit http://ipaddress.com
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:02:09 -0700, "Peter Sale"
    >> <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What command (for example, IPCONFIG) can I enter, or what panel can I
    >>>navigate too that will tell me the identity of these two IP address?
    >>>"... the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    >>>the router. ..."
    >>>
    >>>Once I know the identity of these two IP addresses, how can I configure
    >>>my
    >>>D-Link and/or Linksys router to forward the 3389 port for the correct IP
    >>>(private or public) address so that I can request remote assistance from
    >>>my
    >>>PC even though it is behind an NAT router (D-Link DI-624)?
    >>>
    >>>Both my PC, and the distant PC I'm requesting Remote Assistance from are
    >>>running Windows XP Pro. My PC is behind a D-Link DI-624 router, while the
    >>>distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    >>>routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they would
    >>>forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly.
    >>>That's
    >>>why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    >>>Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't think
    >>>this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with both
    >>>Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.
    >>>
    >>>Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm these
    >>>two
    >>>routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hi Bill,
    You wrote:
    >Check the contents of the invitation file itself. See whether it contains
    the private IP address >behind the router, or the public IP address of the
    router. My bet is for the former."

    I know the values for each of these IP addresses. Which address should
    appear within the invitation file, the public or private address?

    You wrote:
    >In a pinch, you can also test via Telnet:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187628
    >
    > There's probably a newer version of this article, but it gives the basics.
    > Substitute your destination hosts IP address for "tserv" in the example.

    Again, which IP address, public or private should I substitute for the
    destination host's IP address?

    In any case, the following command seemed to get through
    telnet my_public_ip 3389
    while
    telnet my_public_ip 3399
    failed, displaying following error message:
    "Connecting to my_public_ip... Could not open connection to the host, on
    port 3399: Connect failed."
    Of course, I substituted my actual public IP address for the variable
    "my_public_ip."

    I would love to "request Remote Assistance" from a willing party, who knows
    his/her Remote Assistance is working properly, just to confirm whether the
    problem is in my PC or the Remote PC I'm attempting to connect to. Any
    takers?

    --

> [...]

    > > two
    > > routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Peter Sale
    > > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
    > >
    > > "Bill Sanderson" wrote in message
    > >> Check the contents of the invitation file itself. See whether it
    > >> contains
    > >> the private IP address behind the router, or the public IP address of
    the
    > >> router. My bet is for the former.
    > >>
    > >> You can edit the invite file to change this. I'm not sure whether
    > > enabling
    > >> UPnP functions on your machine and, perhaps, using Windows Messenger to
    > > pass
    > >> the invitation, will fix this. Here's a KB that describes the process

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I do remote assistance on my two grown sons computers whenever they request
    it.

    I'm game!

    Remove the obvious from my e-mail address to contact me. We will set up for
    a try (-:

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> [...]
    > the
    >> > distant PC is behind a Linksys WRT54G Router. These are both wireless
    >> > routers. An attempt was made to configure both routers so that they
    > would
    >> > forward port 3389, although I'm not sure this has be done correctly.
    >> > That's
    >> > why I asked my first and second questions. One PC is running Windows
    >> > Messenger 4.7 or while the other is running 5.0. However, I don't
    >> > think
    >> > this is the problem because failure to "resolve host" occurred with
    >> > both
    >> > Windows Messengers 4.7-4.7 and 5.0-5.0.
    >> >
    >> > Lastly, I'm looking into www.portforward.com to attempt to confirm
    >> > these
    >> > two
    >> > routers are correctly configured to forward port 3389.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You need the public address of the router. The router must then be set to
    route packets on port 3389, TCP to the private IP address of the desired
    client machine for Remote Assistance (or Remote desktop!)

    So--look in the invitation and find the private IP address, and substitute
    the public one.

Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP