Headless MPEG2 Encoding?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.compression,comp.parallel (More info?)

[Comp.parallel moderator: the cross post to r.v.d. and c.c is acceptable.
--enm]

I'm looking at various methods of converting MJPEG and DV files to
MPEG2. Pro hardware solutions are out of my price range so I'm
looking mainly at software solutions - though I know some mid-range
MPEG2 encoders exist (ie Canapous products). I've got an eclectic
collection of computers at the moment, none of which are real
processor powerhouses. The three top "performers":

1) PowerMac G3 333Mhz with Radius VideoVision Telecast - used for
analog recording
2) SGI Octane2 R12K 360, VPro 6 gfx - my first SGI, its just cool ;)
3) SGI Visual Workstation 540 Quad Xeon 700 - strange hybrid of an SGI
workstation and a PC. Runs Win NT and 2000.

>From what I've read, it seems like the best way to get encoding done
is to go for sheer processing power and get a dual Athlon system.
I've considered that but would have to replace at least one of my
current systems to do so.

I'm wondering about the feasability of sticking a headless Athlon or
P4 on my network, and using it for processor intensive jobs. This
cuts down on cost and space, though I obviously would get less use out
of a headless box then I would from a complete PC. It could
eventually be upgraded to a full PC, most likely replacing the SGI
540. Could this be done? I would have to be able to run it from one
of my current machines, preferably the G3 or the Octane.

Clusters of older, cheaper hardware also sound very interesting, but
my programing knowlegde is nil so at the very least there would have
to be a _decent_ MPEG2 encoder that could use parallel procesors. I
REALLY wish I had the programming knowledge to get into a project like
this! G3 motherboards are cheap, small, easily upgraded and have
graphics, network, and drive controllers built in.

Thanks for your input!

Tom

tmbannon AT comcast DOT net

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.compression,comp.parallel (More info?)

> I'm wondering about the feasability of sticking a headless Athlon or
> P4 on my network, and using it for processor intensive jobs. This
> cuts down on cost and space, though I obviously would get less use out
> of a headless box then I would from a complete PC. It could
> eventually be upgraded to a full PC, most likely replacing the SGI
> 540. Could this be done? I would have to be able to run it from one
> of my current machines, preferably the G3 or the Octane.
>
> Clusters of older, cheaper hardware also sound very interesting, but
> my programing knowlegde is nil so at the very least there would have
> to be a _decent_ MPEG2 encoder that could use parallel procesors. I
> REALLY wish I had the programming knowledge to get into a project like
> this! G3 motherboards are cheap, small, easily upgraded and have
> graphics, network, and drive controllers built in.
>
> tmbannon AT comcast DOT net

You could just get yourself an Instant DVD + DV box. http://www.usb-
ware.com/ads-instant-dvd-plus-dv.htm

There are many other devices like this out now included ones that will
convert to Mpeg4 and Divx.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com