Remote Assistance not working

I tried first Remote Assistance with MSN Messenger.. but When I press the button no invitation is sent. and when someone invites me.. it says that Remote Assistance is not enabled or is not installed.. but When I try to install it from the WIn Xp Pro CD it says that the program is already there.. So I tried it with Windows Messenger, same problem.. The I tried it in Help And Support.. and the invitation awaiting an answer from the user... but the guy I sent it to doesn't get an invitation on his screen. I checked the box that Allowes my computer to send invitations.. This PC has Cable internet access.. and the other one has ADSL...

Anyone that can Help?
6 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance working

    Use Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger (two different programs)...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:25:01 -0700, "Dane"
    <Dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I tried first Remote Assistance with MSN Messenger.. but When I press the button no invitation is sent. and when someone invites me.. it says that Remote Assistance is not enabled or is not installed.. but When I try to install it from the WIn Xp Pro CD it says that the program is already there.. So I tried it with Windows Messenger, same problem.. The I tried it in Help And Support.. and the invitation awaiting an answer from the user... but the guy I sent it to doesn't get an invitation on his screen. I checked the box that Allowes my computer to send invitations.. This PC has Cable internet access.. and the other one has ADSL...
    >
    >Anyone that can Help?

    yeah I tried that aswell .. but now I downloaded Win MEssenger 5 and I can at least send the invite.. but it can't connect..

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Use Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger (two different programs)...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:25:01 -0700, "Dane"
    > <Dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I tried first Remote Assistance with MSN Messenger.. but When I press the button no invitation is sent. and when someone invites me.. it says that Remote Assistance is not enabled or is not installed.. but When I try to install it from the WIn Xp Pro CD it says that the program is already there.. So I tried it with Windows Messenger, same problem.. The I tried it in Help And Support.. and the invitation awaiting an answer from the user... but the guy I sent it to doesn't get an invitation on his screen. I checked the box that Allowes my computer to send invitations.. This PC has Cable internet access.. and the other one has ADSL...
    > >
    > >Anyone that can Help?

    Is your friend also running XP Home or XP Pro? Remote Assistance is only available with XP.

    Any error messages at either end when you send the invitation? Any error message at the remote end?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Dane" <Dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > yeah I tried that aswell .. but now I downloaded Win MEssenger 5 and I can at least send the
    > invite.. but it can't connect..
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Use Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger (two different programs)...
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:25:01 -0700, "Dane"
    >> <Dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I tried first Remote Assistance with MSN Messenger.. but When I press the button no invitation
    >> >is sent. and when someone invites me.. it says that Remote Assistance is not enabled or is not
    >> >installed.. but When I try to install it from the WIn Xp Pro CD it says that the program is
    >> >already there.. So I tried it with Windows Messenger, same problem.. The I tried it in Help And
    >> >Support.. and the invitation awaiting an answer from the user... but the guy I sent it to
    >> >doesn't get an invitation on his screen. I checked the box that Allowes my computer to send
    >> >invitations.. This PC has Cable internet access.. and the other one has ADSL...
    >> >
    >> >Anyone that can Help?

    Look into the routers or modems.
    What come into place is the Firewall, NAT and UPNP.
    If both pcs are behind NAT/Firewall it gets hard, you may have to setup one
    of the pcs as DMZ. Also try using Netmeeting that should point out some
    problems.

    > Is your friend also running XP Home or XP Pro? Remote Assistance is only
    available with XP.

    > Any error messages at either end when you send the invitation? Any error
    message at the remote end?

    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Dane" <Dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > yeah I tried that aswell .. but now I downloaded Win MEssenger 5 and I
    can at least send the
    > > invite.. but it can't connect..
    > >
    > > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Use Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger (two different programs)...
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx
    > >>
    > >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >>
    > >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > >> be answered depending on time availability....
    > >>
    > >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    The I tried it in Help And
    Allowes my computer to send

    Both pc's are win xp pro.. and no firewall, only Zonealarm but I let the connection through.. still can't connect

    "RoadRunner" wrote:

    > Look into the routers or modems.
    > What come into place is the Firewall, NAT and UPNP.
    > If both pcs are behind NAT/Firewall it gets hard, you may have to setup one
    > of the pcs as DMZ. Also try using Netmeeting that should point out some
    > problems.
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Is your friend also running XP Home or XP Pro? Remote Assistance is only
    > available with XP.
    > >
    > > Any error messages at either end when you send the invitation? Any error
    > message at the remote end?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...
    > >
    > > "Dane" <Dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > yeah I tried that aswell .. but now I downloaded Win MEssenger 5 and I
    > can at least send the
    > > > invite.. but it can't connect..

    > the button no invitation
    > is not enabled or is not
    > says that the program is
    > The I tried it in Help And
    > the guy I sent it to
    > Allowes my computer to send
    > has ADSL...

    You say no firewall, but what about a router?

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 07:05:01 -0700, "Dane"

Windows XP