remote IP Printer

I have an XP Pro client with an IP printer at a remote location, using rdp
to connect to a SBS2003. When connecting to the server, the printer does
not enumerate on the server. I installed the driver on the server, but that
did not help.

Other than selecting printers in the local resource configuration of rdp,
and changing the client setup in Terminal services, is there anything else I
can change to allow the printer to enumerate properly.

Thanks,

Uval Lubarsky
uval@kwcomp.com
2 answers Last reply
More about remote printer

    Note that it is possible (although probably rather unlikely) that the
    remote server may be prohibited from printer redirection either due to
    local or domain group policy.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:06:01 -0400, "Uval Lubarsky" <uval@kwcomp.com>
    wrote:

    >I have an XP Pro client with an IP printer at a remote location, using rdp
    >to connect to a SBS2003. When connecting to the server, the printer does
    >not enumerate on the server. I installed the driver on the server, but that
    >did not help.
    >
    >Other than selecting printers in the local resource configuration of rdp,
    >and changing the client setup in Terminal services, is there anything else I
    >can change to allow the printer to enumerate properly.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Uval Lubarsky
    >uval@kwcomp.com

    I'm unclear whether this can work.

    RDP redirects the PORT that the printer connects to.

    You can check out this KB article, and consider trying the registry change
    it mentions. A reboot of the client is needed after the registry is
    changed, for the change to take effect.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361

    I know that I've seen locally peer-shared remote printers appear at the host
    in RD sessions, but I don't have experience with direct IP-printing in that
    circumstance--let us know whether it works?

    "Uval Lubarsky" <uval@kwcomp.com> wrote in message
    >I have an XP Pro client with an IP printer at a remote location, using rdp
    > to connect to a SBS2003. When connecting to the server, the printer does
    > not enumerate on the server. I installed the driver on the server, but
    > that
    > did not help.
    >
    > Other than selecting printers in the local resource configuration of rdp,
    > and changing the client setup in Terminal services, is there anything else
    > can change to allow the printer to enumerate properly.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Uval Lubarsky
    > uval@kwcomp.com

IP Printers Servers Windows XP