Is there a 4 gig file size limit in WinXP?

I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit with
XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.
3 answers Last reply
More about file size limit winxp

    This is a hard drive formatting limitation only. Your drive is a FAT
    formatted drive and you need to make it NTFS. It has nothing to do with the
    operating system.

    Cory

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit
    with
    > XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:03:42 GMT, "Doc"
    <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

    >I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit with
    >XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.

    NTFS file system, which XP can handle, doesn't have a 4 GB file size
    limit, but it's the Avi format that has it.

    Other programs manage this issue by splitting the capture into a
    series of files, without interrupting it.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> Kissed me, Licked me, then left
    me a note:

    >I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit with
    >XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.

    As the other posters have mentioned its the HDD formatting that gives
    you limitations, only winxp/nt/2000 can use NTFS rather than FAT32
    which allows you to have a single file over 4gb on your drive.

    However, i personally would recommend splitting your clips when
    capturing as it is alot easier to edit with smaller clips rather than
    reusing the same one over and over again.

    Maybe consider using something like scenalyzer which allows you to
    press the button to split where you want, or autodetects changes in
    the record to create new scenes.

    --
    Playing: FIFA 2005 & HALO2 (YAY!)
    Awaiting: PES4 & DOAU