Is there a 4 gig file size limit in WinXP?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 17, 2004 5:03:42 AM

I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit with
XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.
November 17, 2004 5:03:43 AM

This is a hard drive formatting limitation only. Your drive is a FAT
formatted drive and you need to make it NTFS. It has nothing to do with the
operating system.

Cory

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit
with
> XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 2:20:17 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:03:42 GMT, "Doc"
<docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

>I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit with
>XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.

NTFS file system, which XP can handle, doesn't have a 4 GB file size
limit, but it's the Avi format that has it.

Other programs manage this issue by splitting the capture into a
series of files, without interrupting it.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 5:28:30 PM

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> Kissed me, Licked me, then left
me a note:

>I knew there's a size limit under 98, I thought there was no such limit with
>XP, however Pinnacle Studio tells me I can only capture up to 4 gigs.

As the other posters have mentioned its the HDD formatting that gives
you limitations, only winxp/nt/2000 can use NTFS rather than FAT32
which allows you to have a single file over 4gb on your drive.

However, i personally would recommend splitting your clips when
capturing as it is alot easier to edit with smaller clips rather than
reusing the same one over and over again.

Maybe consider using something like scenalyzer which allows you to
press the button to split where you want, or autodetects changes in
the record to create new scenes.

--
Playing: FIFA 2005 & HALO2 (YAY!)
Awaiting: PES4 & DOAU