Simultaneous access: Remote and local

August 2, 2004 10:47:08 PM

I currently have XP home edition. I am looking to upgrade to Professional
edition to utilize the Remote control support provided in the profession edition.

Few questions:

1. Can somone get access to the remote machine acting as the server,
(with the XP professional edition) while someone else is locally working on the
server ? In other words, can multiple users access the machine at the same
time from different locations ?

2. If the client wants just to open some files from the remote server, but not
utilize the full remote desktop features, is that possible ?

3. How secure is the connection to the remote computer - does it use IPSEC ?

4. If the client is using dial-up, is the access to the remote desktop is speedy
enough to be tolerable ?
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 9:38:33 AM

1. No...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280828&Product=winxp

2. Yes... Setup a VPN link from a remote location or use a mapped drive locally...

3. See this article...

4. Yes

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)