Simultaneous access: Remote and local

I currently have XP home edition. I am looking to upgrade to Professional
edition to utilize the Remote control support provided in the profession edition.

Few questions:

1. Can somone get access to the remote machine acting as the server,
(with the XP professional edition) while someone else is locally working on the
server ? In other words, can multiple users access the machine at the same
time from different locations ?

2. If the client wants just to open some files from the remote server, but not
utilize the full remote desktop features, is that possible ?

3. How secure is the connection to the remote computer - does it use IPSEC ?

4. If the client is using dial-up, is the access to the remote desktop is speedy
enough to be tolerable ?
1 answer Last reply
More about simultaneous access remote local

    1. No...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280828&Product=winxp

    2. Yes... Setup a VPN link from a remote location or use a mapped drive locally...

    3. See this article...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_quaq.asp

    4. Yes

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Tom K" <Tom K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I currently have XP home edition. I am looking to upgrade to Professional
    > edition to utilize the Remote control support provided in the profession edition.
    >
    > Few questions:
    >
    > 1. Can somone get access to the remote machine acting as the server,
    > (with the XP professional edition) while someone else is locally working on the
    > server ? In other words, can multiple users access the machine at the same
    > time from different locations ?
    >
    > 2. If the client wants just to open some files from the remote server, but not
    > utilize the full remote desktop features, is that possible ?
    >
    > 3. How secure is the connection to the remote computer - does it use IPSEC ?
    >
    > 4. If the client is using dial-up, is the access to the remote desktop is speedy
    > enough to be tolerable ?

Servers Windows XP