Sync and SoundCards

I returned one of ATIs better TV-Capture cards, after getting lousy
results. The captured video suffered from dropped frames, and bad
audio-video sync. I recent bought an expensive Plextor ConvertX and
the results have been the same. This happens even when capturing low
quality video.

Many on the web and newsgroups indicate that the soundcard's clock
may not be accurate enough. Indeed ATI's diagnostic program (it may be
unreliable) claims that the soundcard clock is inaccurate.

Are there any RELIABLE utilities (or methods) for testing soundcard
clock performance?

> Many on the web and newsgroups indicate that the soundcard's clock
> may not be accurate enough. Indeed ATI's diagnostic program (it may be
> unreliable) claims that the soundcard clock is inaccurate.
>
> Are there any RELIABLE utilities (or methods) for testing soundcard
> clock performance?

ATI's utility is dead on accurate. A new sound card won't solve the dropped
frames problem though.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <8UNmd.32773$z3.18449@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "Mark M" <mark@onworldsedge.com> wrote:
>> Many on the web and newsgroups indicate that the soundcard's clock
>> may not be accurate enough. Indeed ATI's diagnostic program (it may be
>> unreliable) claims that the soundcard clock is inaccurate.
>>
>> Are there any RELIABLE utilities (or methods) for testing soundcard
>> clock performance?
>
>ATI's utility is dead on accurate. A new sound card won't solve the dropped
>frames problem though.

Thats one mighty bullshit blanket statement there!

A poor sound card can be one if not the most common causes of synch problems.
He should try a capture by removng the sound card completely from the system
and see if that cures it.