SP2 need for MM2?

I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I didn't
want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
Thanks
atarileaf
12 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between 2.1
    and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and these
    service packs are usually great big headaches.

    >I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between
    >2.1
    > and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
    > these
    > service packs are usually great big headaches.
    >
    > atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
    >> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
    > didn't
    >> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.

    Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from others
    who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for the
    hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe Audition
    plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of other
    audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and Internet
    software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.

    Steve King

    Steve King <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
    > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > >I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between
    > >2.1
    > > and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
    > > these
    > > service packs are usually great big headaches.
    > >
    > > atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > >> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
    > >> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
    > > didn't
    > >> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
    >
    > Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from
    others
    > who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for the
    > hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe
    Audition
    > plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of other
    > audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and Internet
    > software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.
    >
    > Steve King
    >
    > Good to hear Steve. My personal feeling is since this computer (which is
    where I would do the video editing) wouldn't be attached to the internet or
    a network in any way, I could get by without the service pack since it
    contains mostly security updates. I'll keep what you said in mind though if
    I do end up going the SP2 road.
    Thanks
    atarileaf

    DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website creation
    and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your web
    security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get the
    "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would even do
    that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy. Won't
    allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in and
    changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden, my
    computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
    couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been happier.

    As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and see
    what happens?

    Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
    browsing and I thought you all should be aware.

    Cory

    > Steve King <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
    > > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > >I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference
    between
    > > >2.1
    > > > and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
    > > > these
    > > > service packs are usually great big headaches.
    > > >
    > > > atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > > didn't
    > >
    > > Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from
    > others
    > > who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for the
    > > hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe
    > Audition
    > > plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of other
    > > audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and
    Internet
    > > software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.
    > >
    > > Steve King
    > >
    > > Good to hear Steve. My personal feeling is since this computer (which is
    > where I would do the video editing) wouldn't be attached to the internet
    or
    > a network in any way, I could get by without the service pack since it
    > contains mostly security updates. I'll keep what you said in mind though
    if
    > I do end up going the SP2 road.
    > Thanks
    > atarileaf

    Thanks for the response Cory. I appreciate it. Apparently from the info I've
    found on the internet and microsofts site suggests that movie maker 2.1
    can't be downloaded seperately. Its part and parcel with SP2. I did find the
    older version 2.0. I'm not sure of the differences between 2.1 and 2.0 but
    at least with 2.0 its a seperate program which I like a lot better. As for
    web browsing, web creation, etc; those things don't really come into play
    for me as the computer that I'm going to use for video editing will not be
    attached to the internet or a network in anyway. It will just be a
    standalone machine, which was why I was wondering if I really needed SP2 in
    the first place since many of the updates seem to relate to internet
    security.
    Cheers
    atarileaf

    Cory <here@there.com> wrote in message
    > DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website
    creation
    > and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your
    web
    > security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get
    the
    > "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would even
    do
    > that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy. Won't
    > allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in and
    > changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden,
    my
    > computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
    > couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been happier.
    >
    > As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and
    see
    > what happens?
    >
    > Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
    > browsing and I thought you all should be aware.
    >
    > Cory
    > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Steve King <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
    > > > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > between

    > > > Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from
    > > others
    > > > who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for
    the
    > > > hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe
    > > Audition
    > > > plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of
    other
    > > > audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and
    > Internet
    > > > software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.
    > > >
    > > > Steve King
    > > >
    > > > Good to hear Steve. My personal feeling is since this computer (which
    is
    > > where I would do the video editing) wouldn't be attached to the internet
    > or
    > > a network in any way, I could get by without the service pack since it
    > > contains mostly security updates. I'll keep what you said in mind though
    > if
    > > I do end up going the SP2 road.
    > > Thanks
    > > atarileaf

    > DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website creation
    > and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your web

    Agree here. The only thing's you need?

    1) Install all of the security patches windowsupdate offers under
    custom install. Some exploits can break through Windows w/o anything
    else running, not even IE up!

    2) Install Zonelabs Zonealarm free version, or Sygate Personal
    Firewall. Both are solid products that are 100% free, work well, and
    you don't even need to consider the pay-for programs at all to protect
    your entire PC. #2 gets you SP2 firewall security w/o the bloat of SP2.

    3) Use a 3rd party webbrowser such as Mozilla, Firefox or Opera to
    avoid 99.99% of the IE/Outlook related virus/trojan attacks which
    cripple most PCs. You can't get an IE virus using
    Mozilla/Firefox/Opera, and can easily browse 'bad' websites all day long
    w/o worry -- yep, watch you're friends get nuked by the latest attacks
    while you sit back and surf virus/trojan safe.

    turn on the built-in No Popups in all three alternatives, and you
    can surf popup-free all year round.

    Use the Outlook-free email of Mozilla (my pick) or Opera, and
    you'll never have to worry about an Outlook email exploit/trojan/virus
    -- they simply don't work.

    You can even turn off the Flash and Javascripting easily with one
    keypress (F12) on Opera, so you can surf even more securely (no more
    annoying Flash ads period).

    4) A solid virus scanner like Symantec Antivirus. See the
    VirusBulletin website for the latest reviews as well as the past history
    performance of numerous virus scanners. There is NO point buying or
    using a virus scanner that toots itself to be fast, light, quick, free,
    cheap, etc. if it doesn't catch the most/all viruses. You will want a
    product that gets their 100% score always (or better than the rest).

    Voila! Security that works far better than buggy IE/Outlook + SP1 or
    SP2.

    > 4) A solid virus scanner like Symantec Antivirus. See the
    > VirusBulletin website for the latest reviews as well as the past history

    Symantec Antivirus has performed 100% during the most recent test, as
    well as most of the 'relevant' tests in the past several years:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?symantec.xml

    Keep in mind that even though the earliest versions (the ones several
    years ago) failed some tests, the most recent performance of any product
    is the most relevant to today's viruses.

    Here, Nod32 is another program to try that has not failed at all in
    the most recent tests.

    See the tests for all of them here:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml

    "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
    > DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website
    > creation
    > and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your
    > web
    > security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get
    > the
    > "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would even
    > do
    > that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy. Won't
    > allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in and
    > changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden,
    > my
    > computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
    > couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been happier.
    >
    > As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and
    > see
    > what happens?
    >
    > Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
    > browsing and I thought you all should be aware.
    >
    > Cory

    Hi Cory,
    How is it all going? :)
    Hey I just read your post and was thinking about it, if you don't load SP2,
    true it might make web designing and browsing easier for you, and the
    browsing part is fine.
    But I was thinking, if you will be designing web sites, wouldn't it be more
    wise to be able to view them as other would?
    And most people, practically all, will eventually download sp2, and 3 and 4,
    as they are released.

    I hear what you are saying, and change is always hard, especially when you
    feel it's not for the better.
    But if you are designing web sites, I think it would be more beneficial to
    actually see what other who have SP2 installed will see, when they view the
    sites you design. Understand my point?
    It might be a pain, true. But at least you can see what it's not allowing
    and maybe change it to make it more viewable with SP2.

    Just a suggestion. :)
    Have a great day, Cory.

    AnthonyR.

    I had to do a complete re-install after SP2, as the SP2 UNINSTALL did
    not reverse all the damage it did to all the software on my IBM
    Thinkpad. Took me days to get back to normal.

    Jim

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:23:13 -0500, "atarileaf"
    <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote:

    >I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between 2.1
    >and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and these
    >service packs are usually great big headaches.
    >
    >atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
    >> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
    >didn't
    >> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
    >> Thanks
    >> atarileaf

    >I had to do a complete re-install after SP2, as the SP2 UNINSTALL did
    > not reverse all the damage it did to all the software on my IBM
    > Thinkpad. Took me days to get back to normal.

    That's what I'm looking forward to this weekend. I had to install the .net
    Framework to upgrade my video card driver, in an attempt to correct a very
    minor bug. Things got hinkey after that so I decided take the risk and
    install SP2, even though I _knew_ I was asking for trouble. After that, I've
    been plagued with more weirdness on my system than I can describe... the
    weirdest being I can't post on Usenet anything larger than 16 lines of 72
    characters, among _many_ others. The SP uninstall, in addition to my own
    Restore backup I did before starting this whole process, did _not_ bring my
    system back. Bottom line is, if you've got a decent firewall, SP2 offers no
    advantage whatsoever in terms of performance or system stability.

    Hey Anthony, very true. That's something I need to consider and don't know
    why I haven't lol. What I'll probably do, now that I have a laptop is
    install SP2 on my home desktop connected to the internet (the family comp),
    which may make things "safer" for my somewhat-computer illiterate parents,
    and I can stick with SP1 on my laptop and be able to check both.

    Thanks much, you always come up with the simplest solutions, stuff that I
    just somehow overlook lol. :)

    Hope all is well with you!

    Cory

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message

    > "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
    > > DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website
    > > creation
    > > and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your
    > > web
    > > security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get
    > > the
    > > "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would
    even
    > > do
    > > that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy.
    Won't
    > > allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in
    and
    > > changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden,
    > > my
    > > computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
    > > couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been
    happier.

    > > As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and
    > > see
    > > what happens?
    > >
    > > Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
    > > browsing and I thought you all should be aware.
    > >
    > > Cory
    >
    > Hi Cory,
    > How is it all going? :)
    > Hey I just read your post and was thinking about it, if you don't load
    SP2,
    > true it might make web designing and browsing easier for you, and the
    > browsing part is fine.
    > But I was thinking, if you will be designing web sites, wouldn't it be
    more
    > wise to be able to view them as other would?
    > And most people, practically all, will eventually download sp2, and 3 and
    4,
    > as they are released.
    >
    > I hear what you are saying, and change is always hard, especially when you
    > feel it's not for the better.
    > But if you are designing web sites, I think it would be more beneficial to
    > actually see what other who have SP2 installed will see, when they view
    the
    > sites you design. Understand my point?
    > It might be a pain, true. But at least you can see what it's not allowing
    > and maybe change it to make it more viewable with SP2.
    >
    > Just a suggestion. :)
    > Have a great day, Cory.
    >
    > AnthonyR.

    Hey Cory,
    So glad to have helped, anytime. :)
    :)

    AnthonyR.

> [...]
    >> browsing part is fine.
    >> But I was thinking, if you will be designing web sites, wouldn't it be
    > more
    >> wise to be able to view them as other would?
    >> And most people, practically all, will eventually download sp2, and 3 and
    > 4,
    >> as they are released.
    >>
    >> I hear what you are saying, and change is always hard, especially when
    >> you
    >> feel it's not for the better.
    >> But if you are designing web sites, I think it would be more beneficial
    >> actually see what other who have SP2 installed will see, when they view
    > the
    >> sites you design. Understand my point?
    >> It might be a pain, true. But at least you can see what it's not allowing
    >> and maybe change it to make it more viewable with SP2.

Tuner Cards Movie Maker Graphics