SP2 need for MM2?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2004 6:07:37 PM

I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I didn't
want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
Thanks
atarileaf

More about : sp2 mm2

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 6:23:13 PM

I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between 2.1
and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and these
service packs are usually great big headaches.

atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
news:o 5Omd.11299$14.2755@read1.cgocable.net...
> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
didn't
> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
> Thanks
> atarileaf

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 6:23:14 PM

>I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between
>2.1
> and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
> these
> service packs are usually great big headaches.
>
> atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> news:o 5Omd.11299$14.2755@read1.cgocable.net...
>> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
>> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
> didn't
>> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.

Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from others
who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for the
hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe Audition
plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of other
audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and Internet
software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.

Steve King
November 17, 2004 7:31:34 PM

Steve King <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
> "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> >I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between
> >2.1
> > and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
> > these
> > service packs are usually great big headaches.
> >
> > atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > news:o 5Omd.11299$14.2755@read1.cgocable.net...
> >> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
> >> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
> > didn't
> >> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
>
> Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from
others
> who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for the
> hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe
Audition
> plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of other
> audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and Internet
> software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.
>
> Steve King
>
> Good to hear Steve. My personal feeling is since this computer (which is
where I would do the video editing) wouldn't be attached to the internet or
a network in any way, I could get by without the service pack since it
contains mostly security updates. I'll keep what you said in mind though if
I do end up going the SP2 road.
Thanks
atarileaf
November 17, 2004 10:35:05 PM

DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website creation
and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your web
security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get the
"security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would even do
that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy. Won't
allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in and
changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden, my
computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been happier.

As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and see
what happens?

Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
browsing and I thought you all should be aware.

Cory

> Steve King <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
> > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > >I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference
between
> > >2.1
> > > and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
> > > these
> > > service packs are usually great big headaches.
> > >
> > > atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:o 5Omd.11299$14.2755@read1.cgocable.net...
> > > didn't
> >
> > Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from
> others
> > who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for the
> > hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe
> Audition
> > plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of other
> > audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and
Internet
> > software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.
> >
> > Steve King
> >
> > Good to hear Steve. My personal feeling is since this computer (which is
> where I would do the video editing) wouldn't be attached to the internet
or
> a network in any way, I could get by without the service pack since it
> contains mostly security updates. I'll keep what you said in mind though
if
> I do end up going the SP2 road.
> Thanks
> atarileaf

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 12:00:25 PM

Thanks for the response Cory. I appreciate it. Apparently from the info I've
found on the internet and microsofts site suggests that movie maker 2.1
can't be downloaded seperately. Its part and parcel with SP2. I did find the
older version 2.0. I'm not sure of the differences between 2.1 and 2.0 but
at least with 2.0 its a seperate program which I like a lot better. As for
web browsing, web creation, etc; those things don't really come into play
for me as the computer that I'm going to use for video editing will not be
attached to the internet or a network in anyway. It will just be a
standalone machine, which was why I was wondering if I really needed SP2 in
the first place since many of the updates seem to relate to internet
security.
Cheers
atarileaf

Cory <here@there.com> wrote in message
news:o LUmd.106032$bk1.7521@fed1read05...
> DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website
creation
> and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your
web
> security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get
the
> "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would even
do
> that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy. Won't
> allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in and
> changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden,
my
> computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
> couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been happier.
>
> As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and
see
> what happens?
>
> Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
> browsing and I thought you all should be aware.
>
> Cory
> "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Steve King <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
> > > "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> between

> > > Those were my feelings, but after hearing of positive responses from
> > others
> > > who seemed to have my basic line-up of software, I installed SP2 for
the
> > > hoped for additional security it purportedly delivers. I run Adobe
> > Audition
> > > plus DVD Architect 2.0, Vegas 5.0, Windows Movie Maker, a host of
other
> > > audio and video utilities, plus the usual suspects in office and
> Internet
> > > software. So far... several weeks now... not a single problem.
> > >
> > > Steve King
> > >
> > > Good to hear Steve. My personal feeling is since this computer (which
is
> > where I would do the video editing) wouldn't be attached to the internet
> or
> > a network in any way, I could get by without the service pack since it
> > contains mostly security updates. I'll keep what you said in mind though
> if
> > I do end up going the SP2 road.
> > Thanks
> > atarileaf

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:10:00 PM

> DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website creation
> and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your web

Agree here. The only thing's you need?

1) Install all of the security patches windowsupdate offers under
custom install. Some exploits can break through Windows w/o anything
else running, not even IE up!

2) Install Zonelabs Zonealarm free version, or Sygate Personal
Firewall. Both are solid products that are 100% free, work well, and
you don't even need to consider the pay-for programs at all to protect
your entire PC. #2 gets you SP2 firewall security w/o the bloat of SP2.

3) Use a 3rd party webbrowser such as Mozilla, Firefox or Opera to
avoid 99.99% of the IE/Outlook related virus/trojan attacks which
cripple most PCs. You can't get an IE virus using
Mozilla/Firefox/Opera, and can easily browse 'bad' websites all day long
w/o worry -- yep, watch you're friends get nuked by the latest attacks
while you sit back and surf virus/trojan safe.

turn on the built-in No Popups in all three alternatives, and you
can surf popup-free all year round.

Use the Outlook-free email of Mozilla (my pick) or Opera, and
you'll never have to worry about an Outlook email exploit/trojan/virus
-- they simply don't work.

You can even turn off the Flash and Javascripting easily with one
keypress (F12) on Opera, so you can surf even more securely (no more
annoying Flash ads period).

4) A solid virus scanner like Symantec Antivirus. See the
VirusBulletin website for the latest reviews as well as the past history
performance of numerous virus scanners. There is NO point buying or
using a virus scanner that toots itself to be fast, light, quick, free,
cheap, etc. if it doesn't catch the most/all viruses. You will want a
product that gets their 100% score always (or better than the rest).

Voila! Security that works far better than buggy IE/Outlook + SP1 or
SP2.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:19:23 PM

> 4) A solid virus scanner like Symantec Antivirus. See the
> VirusBulletin website for the latest reviews as well as the past history

Symantec Antivirus has performed 100% during the most recent test, as
well as most of the 'relevant' tests in the past several years:
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?sym...

Keep in mind that even though the earliest versions (the ones several
years ago) failed some tests, the most recent performance of any product
is the most relevant to today's viruses.

Here, Nod32 is another program to try that has not failed at all in
the most recent tests.

See the tests for all of them here:
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml
November 19, 2004 2:03:41 AM

"Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
news:o LUmd.106032$bk1.7521@fed1read05...
> DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website
> creation
> and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your
> web
> security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get
> the
> "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would even
> do
> that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy. Won't
> allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in and
> changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden,
> my
> computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
> couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been happier.
>
> As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and
> see
> what happens?
>
> Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
> browsing and I thought you all should be aware.
>
> Cory

Hi Cory,
How is it all going? :)
Hey I just read your post and was thinking about it, if you don't load SP2,
true it might make web designing and browsing easier for you, and the
browsing part is fine.
But I was thinking, if you will be designing web sites, wouldn't it be more
wise to be able to view them as other would?
And most people, practically all, will eventually download sp2, and 3 and 4,
as they are released.

I hear what you are saying, and change is always hard, especially when you
feel it's not for the better.
But if you are designing web sites, I think it would be more beneficial to
actually see what other who have SP2 installed will see, when they view the
sites you design. Understand my point?
It might be a pain, true. But at least you can see what it's not allowing
and maybe change it to make it more viewable with SP2.

Just a suggestion. :)
Have a great day, Cory.

AnthonyR.
November 19, 2004 7:23:42 AM

I had to do a complete re-install after SP2, as the SP2 UNINSTALL did
not reverse all the damage it did to all the software on my IBM
Thinkpad. Took me days to get back to normal.

Jim

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:23:13 -0500, "atarileaf"
<hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>I guess I could still get version 2.0. Is there a big difference between 2.1
>and 2.0? I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and these
>service packs are usually great big headaches.
>
>atarileaf <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>news:o 5Omd.11299$14.2755@read1.cgocable.net...
>> I wanted to download Movie Maker 2 to give it a whirl but the system
>> requirements say I need the service pack 2 to use it? Is this true? I
>didn't
>> want to use sp2 since my system has been running fine without it.
>> Thanks
>> atarileaf

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 12:07:57 PM

>I had to do a complete re-install after SP2, as the SP2 UNINSTALL did
> not reverse all the damage it did to all the software on my IBM
> Thinkpad. Took me days to get back to normal.

That's what I'm looking forward to this weekend. I had to install the .net
Framework to upgrade my video card driver, in an attempt to correct a very
minor bug. Things got hinkey after that so I decided take the risk and
install SP2, even though I _knew_ I was asking for trouble. After that, I've
been plagued with more weirdness on my system than I can describe... the
weirdest being I can't post on Usenet anything larger than 16 lines of 72
characters, among _many_ others. The SP uninstall, in addition to my own
Restore backup I did before starting this whole process, did _not_ bring my
system back. Bottom line is, if you've got a decent firewall, SP2 offers no
advantage whatsoever in terms of performance or system stability.
November 19, 2004 6:15:41 PM

Hey Anthony, very true. That's something I need to consider and don't know
why I haven't lol. What I'll probably do, now that I have a laptop is
install SP2 on my home desktop connected to the internet (the family comp),
which may make things "safer" for my somewhat-computer illiterate parents,
and I can stick with SP1 on my laptop and be able to check both.

Thanks much, you always come up with the simplest solutions, stuff that I
just somehow overlook lol. :)

Hope all is well with you!

Cory

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message

> "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
> news:o LUmd.106032$bk1.7521@fed1read05...
> > DONT DOWNLOAD SP2!!! It is sooo annoying! Makes the job of website
> > creation
> > and even browsing the web a nightmare. It basically changes all of your
> > web
> > security settings so just about every time you visit a website, you get
> > the
> > "security bar" giving you warnings about potential hazards. It would
even
> > do
> > that when viewing a website I built in straight HTML OFFLINE. Crazy.
Won't
> > allow downloads of certain perfectly acceptable files. Then I went in
and
> > changed the settings to allow them to download and then all of a sudden,
> > my
> > computer downloaded like 3 spyware programs without even asking me! I
> > couldn't stop it! So crazy! AH, I uninstalled it and haven't been
happier.

> > As for the original question, why don't you just try downloading MM2 and
> > see
> > what happens?
> >
> > Sorry for the ramble lol, but SP2 IS a big pain when it comes to web
> > browsing and I thought you all should be aware.
> >
> > Cory
>
> Hi Cory,
> How is it all going? :)
> Hey I just read your post and was thinking about it, if you don't load
SP2,
> true it might make web designing and browsing easier for you, and the
> browsing part is fine.
> But I was thinking, if you will be designing web sites, wouldn't it be
more
> wise to be able to view them as other would?
> And most people, practically all, will eventually download sp2, and 3 and
4,
> as they are released.
>
> I hear what you are saying, and change is always hard, especially when you
> feel it's not for the better.
> But if you are designing web sites, I think it would be more beneficial to
> actually see what other who have SP2 installed will see, when they view
the
> sites you design. Understand my point?
> It might be a pain, true. But at least you can see what it's not allowing
> and maybe change it to make it more viewable with SP2.
>
> Just a suggestion. :)
> Have a great day, Cory.
>
> AnthonyR.

November 21, 2004 12:40:30 PM