  • VPN
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Windows XP
August 4, 2004 5:10:56 PM

I set up a VPN to our W2k3 server from both my PC and my laptop and it just
works right off the bat. But for the boss, it keeps dropping exactly at 3
minutes. Inactivity timeout is set to 5 mins, which I verified on mine.

I have no extra rights - we'll all members of a "VPN Users" group allowed by
Group Policy to connect via VPN.
I tried my username on my boss' computer, it also drops at 3 mins.

I usually connect via DSL, and my boss Dial-up, but I'm ok past 3 mins with
dial-up too.

All PC's are XP Pro SP1.

What can cause this?

--
Dave Harry

More about : vpn drops mins

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 5:10:57 PM

Dave Harry wrote:
> I set up a VPN to our W2k3 server from both my PC and my laptop and
> it just works right off the bat. But for the boss, it keeps dropping
> exactly at 3 minutes. Inactivity timeout is set to 5 mins, which I
> verified on mine.
>
> I have no extra rights - we'll all members of a "VPN Users" group
> allowed by Group Policy to connect via VPN.
> I tried my username on my boss' computer, it also drops at 3 mins.
>
> I usually connect via DSL, and my boss Dial-up, but I'm ok past 3
> mins with dial-up too.
>
> All PC's are XP Pro SP1.
>
> What can cause this?

Her dialup connection may be too slow, or something. Has she tried another
ISP for dialup? Another POP to dial up to? If you can bring her computer
somewhere so she can connect to the Internet via broadband, and test then,
you'll have done more to isolate the problem.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:31:20 AM

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840654 for more
information..

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:10:56 +1000, "Dave Harry"
<DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote:

>I set up a VPN to our W2k3 server from both my PC and my laptop and it just
>works right off the bat. But for the boss, it keeps dropping exactly at 3
>minutes. Inactivity timeout is set to 5 mins, which I verified on mine.
>
>I have no extra rights - we'll all members of a "VPN Users" group allowed by
>Group Policy to connect via VPN.
>I tried my username on my boss' computer, it also drops at 3 mins.
>
>I usually connect via DSL, and my boss Dial-up, but I'm ok past 3 mins with
>dial-up too.
>
>All PC's are XP Pro SP1.
>
>What can cause this?
August 5, 2004 5:33:44 PM

Hi Lanwench

I actually used his dial-up account on my PC, and it worked ok.

Dave

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Dave Harry wrote:
> > I set up a VPN to our W2k3 server from both my PC and my laptop and
> > it just works right off the bat. But for the boss, it keeps dropping
> > exactly at 3 minutes. Inactivity timeout is set to 5 mins, which I
> > verified on mine.
> >
> > I have no extra rights - we'll all members of a "VPN Users" group
> > allowed by Group Policy to connect via VPN.
> > I tried my username on my boss' computer, it also drops at 3 mins.
> >
> > I usually connect via DSL, and my boss Dial-up, but I'm ok past 3
> > mins with dial-up too.
> >
> > All PC's are XP Pro SP1.
> >
> > What can cause this?
>
> Her dialup connection may be too slow, or something. Has she tried another
> ISP for dialup? Another POP to dial up to? If you can bring her computer
> somewhere so she can connect to the Internet via broadband, and test then,
> you'll have done more to isolate the problem.

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:33:45 PM

Try it the other way around, then....

Dave Harry wrote:
> Hi Lanwench
>
> I actually used his dial-up account on my PC, and it worked ok.
>
> Dave
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:uxdQ03jeEHA.692@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Dave Harry wrote:
>>> I set up a VPN to our W2k3 server from both my PC and my laptop and
>>> it just works right off the bat. But for the boss, it keeps dropping
>>> exactly at 3 minutes. Inactivity timeout is set to 5 mins, which I
>>> verified on mine.
>>>
>>> I have no extra rights - we'll all members of a "VPN Users" group
>>> allowed by Group Policy to connect via VPN.
>>> I tried my username on my boss' computer, it also drops at 3 mins.
>>>
>>> I usually connect via DSL, and my boss Dial-up, but I'm ok past 3
>>> mins with dial-up too.
>>>
>>> All PC's are XP Pro SP1.
>>>
>>> What can cause this?
>>
>> Her dialup connection may be too slow, or something. Has she tried
>> another ISP for dialup? Another POP to dial up to? If you can bring
>> her computer somewhere so she can connect to the Internet via
>> broadband, and test then, you'll have done more to isolate the
>> problem.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:36:02 PM

Not applicable, I believe.
There is only the ICF firewall on the dial-up account.
In fact, I use NAT when connected ok via DSL.

There is also no internet sharing set up on either PC.

Anything else?

--
Dave Harry

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:7v63h0podut65o70hc40rhdfkkoe1vdunv@4ax.com...
> Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840654 for more
> information..
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:10:56 +1000, "Dave Harry"
> <DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote:
>
> >I set up a VPN to our W2k3 server from both my PC and my laptop and it
just
> >works right off the bat. But for the boss, it keeps dropping exactly at 3
> >minutes. Inactivity timeout is set to 5 mins, which I verified on mine.
> >
> >I have no extra rights - we'll all members of a "VPN Users" group allowed
by
> >Group Policy to connect via VPN.
> >I tried my username on my boss' computer, it also drops at 3 mins.
> >
> >I usually connect via DSL, and my boss Dial-up, but I'm ok past 3 mins
with
> >dial-up too.
> >
> >All PC's are XP Pro SP1.
> >
> >What can cause this?

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:45:08 AM

There may be an issue if you have installed that specific security
patch... Hopefully SP2 will be with us shortly that will resolve this
issue without having to contact PSS...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:36:02 +1000, "Dave Harry"
<DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote:

>Not applicable, I believe.
>There is only the ICF firewall on the dial-up account.
>In fact, I use NAT when connected ok via DSL.
>
>There is also no internet sharing set up on either PC.
>
>Anything else?
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 3:52:22 PM

He's travelling at the moment.
I just received an email from him that connected though a broadband/wireless
café, he still keeps dropping at 3 mins.
VPN functionality, it seems, stops at about 2:08 (not sure if it's a
consistent time), with the total connection ALWAYS dropped at 3:00.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

!