question: tv to miniDV (done) .. but now from AVI to DVD (..

Hey guys,
I do video editing on the side, and so here's the deal
Im in Canada, .. i recorded some shows on our version of 'tivo' here.
I can easily send them to my miniDV cam, ..
NOW I have yet to find a definite answer to this.

I usually use adobe premiere 6.0 just to edit little small things..
but the version is old, and i find it has some bugs

I want to simply get a new program which will:

1. capture/ dump the video from miniDV to AVI or whatever format (i
have firewire)

2. quickly edit to take out commercials

3. BURN it to DVD.

Problem is, most programs like Nero Vision Express 3 etc, in the
reviews, they apparently lose quality when they transcode the video
for burning the dvd video. Since the tv footage I have is digital, i
want NO LOSS, when
1. it goes to avi, and when it is burned to the dvd
..
can anyone pleaseeeee recommend a software program.
i can be emailed at

newbedford1975@hotmail.com

if you can email me there.

thanks a million!

Max.
2 answers Last reply
More about question minidv done

    If you're familiar with Premiere 6.0 but think it's flawed, 6.5 is a
    reasonable choice. You'll already know how to use it and it's a
    respected program. It will not quite get you to DVD, though. You'll
    need an 'authoring' program to do a few minutes' final conversion and
    optionally add menus, when Premiere is done.

    There's Premiere Pro, but it's different enough to be annoying at
    least at first, and its purported improvements seem to impress
    professionals (hence the name, I suppose) but I've yet to find them
    compelling.

    Premiere 6.5 is of course available on fleabay for a relative
    pittance, considering how powerful it is.

    BTW it's difficult to understand how *anything* isn't good enough to
    transfer TiVo to DVD. Is any degradation you percieve perhaps
    introduced in the miniDV step?

    "Max" <newbedford1975@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    > I do video editing on the side, and so here's the deal
    > Im in Canada, .. i recorded some shows on our version of 'tivo' here.
    > I can easily send them to my miniDV cam, ..
    > NOW I have yet to find a definite answer to this.
    >
    > I usually use adobe premiere 6.0 just to edit little small things..
    > but the version is old, and i find it has some bugs
    >
    > I want to simply get a new program which will:
    >
    > 1. capture/ dump the video from miniDV to AVI or whatever format (i
    > have firewire)
    >
    > 2. quickly edit to take out commercials
    >
    > 3. BURN it to DVD.
    >
    > Problem is, most programs like Nero Vision Express 3 etc, in the
    > reviews, they apparently lose quality when they transcode the video
    > for burning the dvd video. Since the tv footage I have is digital, i
    > want NO LOSS, when
    > 1. it goes to avi, and when it is burned to the dvd
    > .
    > can anyone pleaseeeee recommend a software program.
    > i can be emailed at
    >
    > newbedford1975@hotmail.com
    >
    > if you can email me there.
    >
    > thanks a million!
    >
    > Max.

    Max,
    the video saved on the tivo is already in a compressed mpeg2 format, not
    sure what the audio is.
    Anyway, when you get it to your dv camcorder? I guess it's converted it back
    up to dv-avi.
    So you can edit in premiere and then author in a dvd program, but you will
    be doing lots of up and down converting, back and forth, for tv shows,
    probably be acceptable, you have no choice unless you could somehow get the
    data off the tivo in the original mpeg2 version that is on the hard drive,
    then you can do simple cuts where the commercials are with a mpeg editor and
    go directly to dvd without much more conversion. I use to have a ReplayTV
    and this was possible when it was networked.
    But even then some of the files weren't compatible if I chose to record at
    some high quality settings.
    Good Luck,

    AnthonyR.

Tuner Cards MiniDV Video Graphics