question: tv to miniDV (done) .. but now from AVI to DVD (..

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • MiniDV
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 17, 2004 7:00:52 PM

Hey guys,
I do video editing on the side, and so here's the deal
Im in Canada, .. i recorded some shows on our version of 'tivo' here.
I can easily send them to my miniDV cam, ..
NOW I have yet to find a definite answer to this.

I usually use adobe premiere 6.0 just to edit little small things..
but the version is old, and i find it has some bugs

I want to simply get a new program which will:

1. capture/ dump the video from miniDV to AVI or whatever format (i
have firewire)

2. quickly edit to take out commercials

3. BURN it to DVD.

Problem is, most programs like Nero Vision Express 3 etc, in the
reviews, they apparently lose quality when they transcode the video
for burning the dvd video. Since the tv footage I have is digital, i
want NO LOSS, when
1. it goes to avi, and when it is burned to the dvd
..
can anyone pleaseeeee recommend a software program.
i can be emailed at

newbedford1975@hotmail.com

if you can email me there.

thanks a million!

Max.

More about : question minidv avi dvd

November 18, 2004 2:01:06 AM

If you're familiar with Premiere 6.0 but think it's flawed, 6.5 is a
reasonable choice. You'll already know how to use it and it's a
respected program. It will not quite get you to DVD, though. You'll
need an 'authoring' program to do a few minutes' final conversion and
optionally add menus, when Premiere is done.

There's Premiere Pro, but it's different enough to be annoying at
least at first, and its purported improvements seem to impress
professionals (hence the name, I suppose) but I've yet to find them
compelling.

Premiere 6.5 is of course available on fleabay for a relative
pittance, considering how powerful it is.

BTW it's difficult to understand how *anything* isn't good enough to
transfer TiVo to DVD. Is any degradation you percieve perhaps
introduced in the miniDV step?

newbedford1975@hotmail.com (Max) wrote:

>Hey guys,
>I do video editing on the side, and so here's the deal
>Im in Canada, .. i recorded some shows on our version of 'tivo' here.
>I can easily send them to my miniDV cam, ..
>NOW I have yet to find a definite answer to this.
>
>I usually use adobe premiere 6.0 just to edit little small things..
>but the version is old, and i find it has some bugs
>
>I want to simply get a new program which will:
>
>1. capture/ dump the video from miniDV to AVI or whatever format (i
>have firewire)
>
>2. quickly edit to take out commercials
>
>3. BURN it to DVD.
>
>Problem is, most programs like Nero Vision Express 3 etc, in the
>reviews, they apparently lose quality when they transcode the video
>for burning the dvd video. Since the tv footage I have is digital, i
>want NO LOSS, when
>1. it goes to avi, and when it is burned to the dvd
>.
>can anyone pleaseeeee recommend a software program.
>i can be emailed at
>
>newbedford1975@hotmail.com
>
>if you can email me there.
>
>thanks a million!
>
>Max.
November 19, 2004 4:54:00 AM

"Max" <newbedford1975@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
> I do video editing on the side, and so here's the deal
> Im in Canada, .. i recorded some shows on our version of 'tivo' here.
> I can easily send them to my miniDV cam, ..
> NOW I have yet to find a definite answer to this.
>
> I usually use adobe premiere 6.0 just to edit little small things..
> but the version is old, and i find it has some bugs
>
> I want to simply get a new program which will:
>
> 1. capture/ dump the video from miniDV to AVI or whatever format (i
> have firewire)
>
> 2. quickly edit to take out commercials
>
> 3. BURN it to DVD.
>
> Problem is, most programs like Nero Vision Express 3 etc, in the
> reviews, they apparently lose quality when they transcode the video
> for burning the dvd video. Since the tv footage I have is digital, i
> want NO LOSS, when
> 1. it goes to avi, and when it is burned to the dvd
> .
> can anyone pleaseeeee recommend a software program.
> i can be emailed at
>
> newbedford1975@hotmail.com
>
> if you can email me there.
>
> thanks a million!
>
> Max.

Max,
the video saved on the tivo is already in a compressed mpeg2 format, not
sure what the audio is.
Anyway, when you get it to your dv camcorder? I guess it's converted it back
up to dv-avi.
So you can edit in premiere and then author in a dvd program, but you will
be doing lots of up and down converting, back and forth, for tv shows,
probably be acceptable, you have no choice unless you could somehow get the
data off the tivo in the original mpeg2 version that is on the hard drive,
then you can do simple cuts where the commercials are with a mpeg editor and
go directly to dvd without much more conversion. I use to have a ReplayTV
and this was possible when it was networked.
But even then some of the files weren't compatible if I chose to record at
some high quality settings.
Good Luck,

AnthonyR.
!