CD or DVD for video distribution?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2004 7:24:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Hello,

We're working to get started in a little side business producing
(recording, editing, etc) promotional videos. We've done one 40 minute
item already, and it was extremely well received, so we feel OK about
our start.

Nonetheless, we know we're not pros. So, to break in a bit, we've
offered to do a short (20 minute) promotional video for a friend's
business for free. The idea has been to do a video describing his
company's services, and burn it to mini-DVDs that he can then hand out
to prospective customers. He gets a video, we get exposure.

Another participant in his promotional efforts (a webmaster),
however, has suggested distribution on mini-CD. The rationale seems to
be that a CD, once in a computer, can more automatically be presumed to
be 'linkable' to the company's web site. (Until recently, I've been
working with Final Cut Express and iDVD, but I've got Pro HD and DVD
Studio Pro on the way, so now I'll be able to make DVD-to-web links.)

Question is: is this webmaster's idea the better one?

I think it's best to stick with DVD:

1) video quality will be better;
2) CD will severely limit length of video (at decent quality);
3) CD file format less certain (most DVD players will read the DVD
automatically, while with a CD, one has to rely on the computer having
the right player);
4) I'm not sure what tools are available to create a link from a video
stored on CD to a web site;
5) someone watching the DVD on a TV can probably remember/write a URL to
type into a computer, if necessary (and, of course, it'll be printed on
the DVD itself).

But, I'm open to other views. What do you think?

Thanks,

Todd

More about : dvd video distribution

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 7:24:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

"F. Todd Wilson" <nomail@nomail.net> wrote in news:nomail-
F3EF81.23222017112004@news.verizon.net:

Question is: is this webmaster's idea the better one?

> I think it's best to stick with DVD:
>
> 1) video quality will be better;
> 2) CD will severely limit length of video (at decent quality);
> 3) CD file format less certain (most DVD players will read the DVD
> automatically, while with a CD, one has to rely on the computer having
> the right player);
> 4) I'm not sure what tools are available to create a link from a video
> stored on CD to a web site;
> 5) someone watching the DVD on a TV can probably remember/write a URL
> type into a computer, if necessary (and, of course, it'll be printed on
> the DVD itself).
>
> But, I'm open to other views. What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

I can't speak for the professional video side of the question but as a
professional provider of IT services I'd advise you to stick to the DVD
format. Some of the worst network security problems I've dealt with had
the words "interactive" and "promotional" at their start. The greenest
script kiddie can trash a network if they can get some unsuspecting meat
puppet to hand deliver a CD to their target. Rule one of network
security is don't put ANYHING in the computers that hasn't been cleared
by IT. Advertizing that can't play on a stand alone DVD goes right into
the shredder.

Later,
Joe
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 1:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

> Another participant in his promotional efforts (a webmaster),
> however, has suggested distribution on mini-CD. The rationale seems to

Avoid any mini-formats. Gets stuck in some drives, can't load in
others, don't work for slot loaders, and usually a mess when you have to
deal with people not knowing what to do with one or gets stuck in one.

Stick to the regular sized discs. It doesn't cost more than the mini's,
and have greater consumer acceptance.

<odd sized formats like rectangular are even worse, and may splinter
apart in fast 40x+ speed drives>

Here, you may want to go with a solid, clear jewel boxes that have the
same dimensions as the regular black DVD cases + color inserts to make
them stand out a bit more. Adds a sense of 'quality' and upscale image
vs. regular DVD cases, and may give you more sales.

> I think it's best to stick with DVD:
>
> 1) video quality will be better;
> 2) CD will severely limit length of video (at decent quality);
> 3) CD file format less certain (most DVD players will read the DVD
> automatically, while with a CD, one has to rely on the computer having
> the right player);
> 4) I'm not sure what tools are available to create a link from a video
> stored on CD to a web site;
> 5) someone watching the DVD on a TV can probably remember/write a URL to
> type into a computer, if necessary (and, of course, it'll be printed on
> the DVD itself).
>
> But, I'm open to other views. What do you think?

Perfectly fine. The number of DVD players in the homes is growing
fast, should be past 50% now, and better than CDs - which people dont'
always know what to do with or can play (VCD/SVCD support on PC or DVD
player isn't 100%). Also, target market for your products will probably
be 100% DVD player availability, so no worries here.

---

DVD video can have URLs printed on screen; and you can add regular PC
files - web pages, JPEG images, autorun.inf files to the DVD so that it
will auto-launch a web page and take your visitor over when he puts it
into a PC. Many DVDs today have this 'dual-use' feature, and as long as
you label your DVD such, it'll work fine.

Quite easy.

Also, once you autorun a video or webpage on the PC, it's easy to
link either to webpages.
November 18, 2004 3:16:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

In article <Xns95A4EC8CDA35Cjkultgennospamplease@216.170.153.136>,
Joe Kultgen <jkultgen@tds.net> wrote:

> "F. Todd Wilson" <nomail@nomail.net> wrote in news:nomail-
> F3EF81.23222017112004@news.verizon.net:

[useful stuff deleted for brevity]

> by IT. Advertizing that can't play on a stand alone DVD goes right into
> the shredder.
>
> Later,
> Joe

Joe,

Thanks much, very interesting perspective! Hadn't thought about that
angle!

Todd
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 3:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

>>by IT. Advertizing that can't play on a stand alone DVD goes right into
>>the shredder.

Add to that:

Anything that doesn't clearly explain the advantages on the case
itself. Nobody wants to spend time playing a DVD that wastes time, so
the cover had better explain the selling points in a summary fast.
Cases with just a pretty picture are among that fastest that gets the
DVD tossed, and cases reused.

Anything sealed. Way too much effort to rip off that silly security
seal, so any demos coming like that gets tossed almost immediately
(here, a good cover and summary may save it).

Ugly, gross, dirty packaging. Any of the three gets it tossed. No
way touching that for more than a second.

Any DVD that doesn't work right away, is hard to navigate, or
annoyingly long and can't be jumped through. DVDs have the navi
buttons, so make sure the user can skip past/through portitons of long
videos. Anything annoying about the menu system, etc. gets tossed.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 7:00:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

In article <cniqsf$ouo$1@news.service.uci.edu>,
David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

[great stuff deleted for space]

> ---
>
> DVD video can have URLs printed on screen; and you can add regular PC
> files - web pages, JPEG images, autorun.inf files to the DVD so that it
> will auto-launch a web page and take your visitor over when he puts it
> into a PC. Many DVDs today have this 'dual-use' feature, and as long as
> you label your DVD such, it'll work fine.
>
> Quite easy.
>
> Also, once you autorun a video or webpage on the PC, it's easy to
> link either to webpages.

David,

If you don't mind, as I get a bit closer to this, I might ask if you
could point me in the right direction for some of this 'autolaunch'
stuff.

Thanks!

Todd
!