Remote Desktop works locally only.

August 4, 2004 5:13:02 PM

I can connect through my LAN at home behind my router, and can get to my login screen. However, when I try to login from another network I get an error that says the machine can't be found. I know I'm getting the correct machine because my website pops and the Remote Desktop login shows up when the /tsweb is added. I'm thinking this has to do with WINS or DNS, but am not sure how to config. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:18:07 PM

You need to forward both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) if your target PC is behind a
firewall/NAT/router.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Yhprum (Murphy)" <Yhprum (Murphy)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can connect through my LAN at home behind my router, and can get to my login screen. However,
>when I try to login from another network I get an error that says the machine can't be found. I
>know I'm getting the correct machine because my website pops and the Remote Desktop login shows up
>when the /tsweb is added. I'm thinking this has to do with WINS or DNS, but am not sure how to
>config. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:18:08 PM

Thanks Al. I was hoping you'd see this. I'm working behind a Cayman 3220-H DSL router and running NAT. When you say forward, I take it you mean I need to create what they refer to as a "pinhole". Which creates maps to certain servers. I can't see anything that blocks ports, but am looking over the Cayman website now to see how is presents in the router's config screens.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> You need to forward both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) if your target PC is behind a
> firewall/NAT/router.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Yhprum (Murphy)" <Yhprum (Murphy)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can connect through my LAN at home behind my router, and can get to my login screen. However,
> >when I try to login from another network I get an error that says the machine can't be found. I
> >know I'm getting the correct machine because my website pops and the Remote Desktop login shows up
> >when the /tsweb is added. I'm thinking this has to do with WINS or DNS, but am not sure how to
> >config. Thanks in advance.

August 4, 2004 7:18:08 PM

I've constructed the pinhole correctly. I'm no longer having the problem getting to the screen from outside my network, but now I have a grayed-out connect button. When you click it nothing happens.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> You need to forward both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) if your target PC is behind a
> firewall/NAT/router.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Yhprum (Murphy)" <Yhprum (Murphy)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can connect through my LAN at home behind my router, and can get to my login screen. However,
> >when I try to login from another network I get an error that says the machine can't be found. I
> >know I'm getting the correct machine because my website pops and the Remote Desktop login shows up
> >when the /tsweb is added. I'm thinking this has to do with WINS or DNS, but am not sure how to
> >config. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:59:25 PM

NAT blocks unsolicited inbound traffic by default.

So--you have to open the ports somehow. Terminology differs, but the option
should be there. If it is insufficiently flexible, look for a firmware
upgrade.

> Thanks Al. I was hoping you'd see this. I'm working behind a Cayman
> 3220-H DSL router and running NAT. When you say forward, I take it you
> mean I need to create what they refer to as a "pinhole". Which creates
> maps to certain servers. I can't see anything that blocks ports, but am
> looking over the Cayman website now to see how is presents in the router's
> config screens.
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> You need to forward both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) if
>> your target PC is behind a
>> firewall/NAT/router.
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "Yhprum (Murphy)" <Yhprum (Murphy)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I can connect through my LAN at home behind my router, and can get to my
>> >login screen. However,
>> >when I try to login from another network I get an error that says the
>> >machine can't be found. I
>> >know I'm getting the correct machine because my website pops and the
>> >Remote Desktop login shows up
>> >when the /tsweb is added. I'm thinking this has to do with WINS or DNS,
>> >but am not sure how to
>> >config. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:59:26 PM

I think I've opened it up correctly. I can get to it from outside the network,but I get a grayed-out connect button. Any ideas?

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> NAT blocks unsolicited inbound traffic by default.
>
> So--you have to open the ports somehow. Terminology differs, but the option
> should be there. If it is insufficiently flexible, look for a firmware
> upgrade.
>

> "Yhprum (Murphy)" <YhprumMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Al. I was hoping you'd see this. I'm working behind a Cayman
> > 3220-H DSL router and running NAT. When you say forward, I take it you
> > mean I need to create what they refer to as a "pinhole". Which creates
> > maps to certain servers. I can't see anything that blocks ports, but am
> > looking over the Cayman website now to see how is presents in the router's
> > config screens.
> >
> > "Sooner Al" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to forward both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) if
> >> your target PC is behind a
> >> firewall/NAT/router.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> >> benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...
> >>
> >> "Yhprum (Murphy)" <Yhprum (Murphy)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:56:49 AM

Grayed out connect button may equal activex installation restricted by
policy on the client machine.

If you are trying to get out from a locked-down environment, they've done it
right.

"Yhprum (Murphy)" <YhprumMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D F897643-8F87-4798-B58C-00D1D98945C7@microsoft.com...
>I think I've opened it up correctly. I can get to it from outside the
>network,but I get a grayed-out connect button. Any ideas?
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> NAT blocks unsolicited inbound traffic by default.
>>
>> So--you have to open the ports somehow. Terminology differs, but the
>> option
>> should be there. If it is insufficiently flexible, look for a firmware
>> upgrade.
>>

>> "Yhprum (Murphy)" <YhprumMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Thanks Al. I was hoping you'd see this. I'm working behind a Cayman
>> > 3220-H DSL router and running NAT. When you say forward, I take it you
>> > mean I need to create what they refer to as a "pinhole". Which creates
>> > maps to certain servers. I can't see anything that blocks ports, but
>> > am
>> > looking over the Cayman website now to see how is presents in the
>> > router's
>> > config screens.

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:33:28 AM

Other than Bill's suggestion, make sure you enable the ActiveX control
when requested to install it...

However, you can also use the Remote Desktop client (mstsc) which does
not have the dependencies of ActiveX configuration (or opening access
to IIS)..

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:51:01 -0700, Yhprum (Murphy)

!