VPN's and dialup PC connections through Cingular

I am using MediaWorks with my Siemens S56 phone to connect my laptop via the
ir port to have my laptop dial out to the internet. That works great.
However I have two questions:

1. I could not connect to either of my VPN's at work. I tried our Windows
RAS pptp method and it hangs on the user verification. I then tried the
Cisco VPN client and it authenticates and connects but I cannot ping
anything.

2. Is there any way to just dial up to a PC that uses PCAnywhere? Or how
about a telnet or hyperterm dial up session?

Thanks,
Jim

More about dialup connections cingular

    "Jim B." <nospamforjim@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Wfgyc.31714$Sw.31212@attbi_s51>...
    > I am using MediaWorks with my Siemens S56 phone to connect my laptop via the
    > ir port to have my laptop dial out to the internet. That works great.
    > However I have two questions:
    >
    > 1. I could not connect to either of my VPN's at work. I tried our Windows
    > RAS pptp method and it hangs on the user verification. I then tried the
    > Cisco VPN client and it authenticates and connects but I cannot ping
    > anything.

    PPTP is not going to work. Nat breaks PPTP. (and Cingular uses Nat in
    mediaworks)

    Your Cisco VPN client has the ability to work, however the
    administrator must enable "Ipsec through Nat". What happens is that
    Ipsec is then tunneled through UDP port 10,000. In addition, make
    sure that your mtu is set to around 1470 (to be safe make it 1450 or
    you can google "cisco nat ipsec mtu" for the exact setting)

    btw Im using Cisco VPN client over media works and it works very very
    well. In addition, you can also use ssh with port redirection (i do
    this on my ipac)

Cingular vpn Dial Up Connection Internet Service Providers