VPN on XP SP2RC2

Hi,

I am trying to connect via a VPN, on a 2000 machine I get
in no trouble, however when I try on XP SP2RC2 I get the
721 error - Remote computer did not respond. The firewall
is disabled.

Any ideas?

The VPN is done while on a network, if I disconect from
the network and dial up I am able to connect OK. The the
issue is only when I am on my network trying to connect to
another remote site using VPN.

To clarify. I have 2 machines next to eachother, one on XP
and the other on 2000, the 2000 machine connects no
problem, the XP has the issues.

thanks,

jonathanr
9 answers Last reply
More about sp2rc2

    Is you XP machine able to ping the VPN server?

    --
    Thanks,
    Sharoon

    "jonathanr" <jonny_rottan-remove-this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to connect via a VPN, on a 2000 machine I get
    > in no trouble, however when I try on XP SP2RC2 I get the
    > 721 error - Remote computer did not respond. The firewall
    > is disabled.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > The VPN is done while on a network, if I disconect from
    > the network and dial up I am able to connect OK. The the
    > issue is only when I am on my network trying to connect to
    > another remote site using VPN.
    >
    > To clarify. I have 2 machines next to eachother, one on XP
    > and the other on 2000, the 2000 machine connects no
    > problem, the XP has the issues.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > jonathanr

    Go to the properties for your VPN connection and select the Networking
    tab. Change the type of VPN to PPTP (not auto). See if this helps.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:53:10 -0700,

    I have tried changing it PPTP instead of Auto, still no
    good. I can Ping the server.

    thnaks,

    jonathanr

    benefit
    >of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
    not
    >be answered depending on time availability....
    >
    >Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >Windows XP Expert Zone -
    >
    >On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:53:10 -0700,

    and
    >>confers no rights.
    >>>
    >>>"jonathanr" <jonny_rottan-remove-this@hotmail.com>
    wrote
    >>in message

    >>get
    >>firewall

    from
    connect

    >>XP

    >>>.Yes, it can ping the VPN server. Thanks.
    >>>

    >.

    do you have a router?
    are you trying two simultaneous connections?
    does your router support multiple vpn passtrough?

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have tried changing it PPTP instead of Auto, still no
    > good. I can Ping the server.
    >
    > thnaks,
    >
    > jonathanr

    Hi,

    We have a router, we can have many VPN connections
    simultaneously from 2000 machines, just not any XP
    machines.

    thanks,

    jonathanr

    I did read that firewall is disabled. I don't know by this whether you have
    selected the OFF option or stopped the sharedaccess service (windows
    firewall service). Can you do a "net stop sharedaccess" and try out your
    scenario? You can do "net start remoteaccess" to get firewall running
    again.

    RTM is out, you might want to move your machine to that as well :-).

    --
    Thanks
    Chetan

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a router, we can have many VPN connections
    > simultaneously from 2000 machines, just not any XP
    > machines.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > jonathanr

    HI,

    I tried stopping the firewall servce but that did not have
    any affect. what do you mean by "RTM".

    Thanks,

    Jonathanr

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    He is refering to the fact that XP SP 2 is final (or Released To
    Manufacturing)...

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:19:11 -0700,